Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
281 - 300 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Rosso Competizione 4C Spider, 2019 Rosso Competizione Giulia Quadrifoglio
236 Posts
I might also be interested in buying a (smaller) bag for the rolled-up soft-top. At a minimum, that should save some embroidery design/setup costs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
OK, I’ve taken the plunge and ordered the BeyondShapes from Constantin Gabriel Radu! I’m eagerly awaiting it in hopes that it will have enough headroom to wear my helmet in the car for track days. I’ll post how it goes here!

·
Registered
944 Posts
I also have both. I wanted a single-piece but none was forthcoming, so I ordered the folding top. Then the single-piece was announced. I figure that in ~20 years (or after they’re out of production) I’ll be able to sell one for a profit.

As of now, I can’t give a meaningful comparison because I was doing another project when I got sidelined by a temporary health issue. The install requires some adjustments that I’ve not yet gotten sorted. The single-piece does seem like a nicer unit, but the folding top is no slouch. Both are beautiful. The single-piece is easier to remove/install but the folding does offer portability. I’ve had neither in the rain so I can’t speak to leaks.

Reactions: 4Canada and Lvs4c

·
Registered
12 Posts
My hardtop from BeyondShapes (Constantin Gabriel Radu) arrived this week and I got it installed this weekend. Beautifully made, very light and a great finish. A bit of a struggle to get the front latches to latch, even after adjusting the receiver parts on the car - I think my car needs another mm or so of adjustment, but overall I’m VERY impressed with the design and engineering of the hardtop. Once I get the latch receiver fit dialed in, it will be faster to install and remove than the soft top!

And….drum roll….with this top on, I can wear my helmet in the car without removing the top! (I was in jeopardy of failing the “broomstick test” with the soft top off and I definitely can’t wear a helmet with the soft top on)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm also struggling. I can get 2 latches in easily, one is a really tight fit and requires some force and the fourth one I can't get in fully even after following the instructions and making various adjustments. Fully agree on the quality of the product.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I too had one latch that was difficult to engage and another that would hardly go in. What I did was put some Engineer’s Blue on the latch pins to see where there were making contact with the latch receivers. (Engineer’s Blue was probably more than needed - I think just some permanent marker on the latch pin would have been easier and it would have worked as well.).

Anyhow, the Engineer’s Blue was rubbed off where the latch was hitting, so I adjusted the receiver in the direction to give more clearance. The trick is that I had to push quite hard on the receiver get it to stay in position while I tightened the Allen bolts that hold it in place. In my case, the offending latch receiver needed to go ”up and out”, but that may be different for you.

Per instructions, you do need to put downward pressure on the top as you are pushing the latch closed. That’s because you are compressing the weather seals to push the top into place (you want those weather seals to be compressed to prevent wind noise, rattles, etc.).

·
Registered
60 Posts
thanks that is super helpful. I was wondering how to make adjustments without it being hit and miss and taking hours. Yes I have been putting pressure on the top but on one side the latches are not lining up correctly. Will give it another go with engineers blue or some permanent marker. MrZo did you get it to fit properly in the end?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm also struggling. I can get 2 latches in easily, one is a really tight fit and requires some force and the fourth one I can't get in fully even after following the instructions and making various adjustments. Fully agree on the quality of the product.
Update on this, managed to adjust today and all four go in and now gives a really tight fit. Really impressed with the quality of this product and could easily pass as an officially made CF targa top. Definitely the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Congrats! How’s the wind noise?

·
Registered
944 Posts
What was the secret? I haven’t stumbled across the perfect fitment yet. Also, I had a bunch of shims in both sides of mine (9+6). The top goes in easier without those but I have wind noise. Did you have to do anything with them?

281 - 300 of 335 Posts