Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
301 - 320 of 369 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
What was the secret? I haven’t stumbled across the perfect fitment yet. Also, I had a bunch of shims in both sides of mine (9+6). The top goes in easier without those but I have wind noise. Did you have to do anything with them?
Are the pins in fully? They need to be in order to press the top into the seals and create a tight fit. If the pins are 80% in its still not enough to create that tight seal.

· Registered
49 Posts
What was the secret? I haven’t stumbled across the perfect fitment yet. Also, I had a bunch of shims in both sides of mine (9+6). The top goes in easier without those but I have wind noise. Did you have to do anything with them?
My top didn’t come with shims. For me the last front bracket needed also to be adjusted up and out as other has said but the last pin still requires hard effort to close completely. I find changing the order sequence of pin engagements will sometimes help.

· Premium Member
637 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I spent a couple of hours working with @epoxid over Skype and learned about how he designed the top and where everything was suppose to line up. I cannot thank him enough for his time, I really appreciated it.

Something that made my top slot in much better is if you do the following. Look at the underside of the rear edge of the roof. You will see a raised bevel that goes along the underside, that is suppose to go in the rear gasket groove. Place the roof on the car then use your finger to make sure that the bevel is going to go directly into the gasket. It is easy to have the top get misaligned after you slot one side in. The problem occurs when you get one side in and then the top goes diagonal toward the other side. If you have a second person, it works well to have both people press down at the same time so the top stays in straight.

Playing around with the number of shims did not make a difference for me, however you have to make sure that the shims are lined up and the hole they make is not too close to the edge of the plastic. Otherwise you won't be able to get the latch closed. What changing the number of shims will do is help you create a straight edge along the windshield and let you adjust the gap so you don't chip either the top or the car.

At the front edge the bevel goes on-top of the gasket not behind or in front. Once the back edge is straight, the front seemed to go much easier.

· Registered
59 Posts
Looks like we're definitely at 2 bags. Would you want in on this order too if we can get a group discount @John4C? You're probably going to get the roof at some point anyway, might as well have the bag waiting and ready for it.

I'd imagine we'd have to order at least 5 or 10 bags before a discount kicks in. I can follow up this week. I would like to have this sooner rather than later.
I just placed an order for the hard top. How did these bags come out? Satisfied?

· Registered
2018 Rosso Competizione 4C Spider, 2019 Rosso Competizione Giulia Quadrifoglio
332 Posts
Did anyone go forward with ordering the bag? If so, please share your experience. I am likely interested in buying one for my roof. Now that it is the summer in the US, I am storing the CF top and going back to the OEM top (so that it can be stored in the boot).
-T

· Registered
69 Posts
Did anyone go forward with ordering the bag? If so, please share your experience. I am likely interested in buying one for my roof. Now that it is the summer in the US, I am storing the CF top and going back to the OEM top (so that it can be stored in the boot).
-T
Wasn't there also a stand someone posted a picture of? I'd be interested in something like that

Sent from my ASUS_I005DC using Tapatalk

· Registered
69 Posts
EXACTLY! Maybe some nice LED lights to highlight it as well...

Or maybe some kind of floor stand like this, but scaled up for the roof... It would make it easy to lift out and could provide storage for the soft-top when not in use... Of course in Carbon Fiber...

View attachment 121246
This is it . Anybody working on something like this for the carbon roof?

· Registered
2018 Rosso Competizione 4C Spider, 2019 Rosso Competizione Giulia Quadrifoglio
332 Posts
@John4C was the forum member that referenced a company for the bag. But he never pulled the trigger because he didn't buy the roof.

I just reached out to the company to request a new quote. I'll share what I learn on this thread...

-Terence

P.S. I am no longer interested in the stand because I need the roof to be covered and protected from my other project work in my garage.

· Registered
69 Posts
Hardtop arrived today.. it's light.. even in the box.. I haven't opened it yet.. though someone pushed a hole into the box to make a handle.. maybe it should come with a taped handle (literally made of a heavy guage of tape) otherwise appears to be well packaged.. Thank you.. will update once I open it..

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #317 ·
I have components in stock only for those 6 units.
I am concerned about the continuous costs increase for the materials and energy for the future batch of components and raw carbon fibre.

· Registered
222 Posts
The roof was delivered a month ago and haven’t had time until this weekend to put it on. It looks so damn good. It really adds another element to the spider, makes it feel like the coupe without compromise.

I spent less than 2 hours to trying to make the adjustments for it to be fitted. It’s not perfect yet but had to move on for the day, I’ll work on it this week. To be specific, I’m talking about getting the latches to be fully extended / seated all the way. After that and take it on the highway I’ll report back.

Very impressed with the quality and finish. I got the matte interior and I’m glad.

Attachments

301 - 320 of 369 Posts