Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new toy for the 4C. A Carcoon Veloce tent!
I haven’t set it up yet, but it looks pretty cool. I bought it to keep the car clean, dry and protected from rodents while it’s stored for 6 months during the Wisconsin Winters.
Does anyone have one of these, or something similar? What’s your experience using them to store a car long-term? (I prob should have asked before buying one, but I got excited.)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,129 Posts
I have heard of them but no knowledge of how it works or any quirks. Will it be used outdoors or indoors? Would like some more info....sounds like you may be our "guinea pig" Since you live in Wisconsin I am especially curious how it will deal with freezing temps....and if used outdoors....snow. I am in Michigan but my car hibernates in my garage with only the factory car cover.

·
Super Moderator
16,754 Posts
Looks nice.
How does it protect from rodents, though? Only un-enterprising ones, or is the material laced with some sort of repellent?
I’ve had mice, chipmunks and squirrels chew / scratch their way through wood and even fairly thick, rigid plastic if they thought it was worth the trouble. Don’t even get me started on raccoons who look for a winter bed.
Wouldn’t think that this would be much of a challenge.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Looks nice.
How does it protect from rodents, though? Only un-enterprising ones, or is the material laced with some sort of repellent?
I’ve had mice, chipmunks and squirrels chew / scratch their way through wood and even fairly thick, rigid plastic if they thought it was worth the trouble. Don’t even get me started on raccoons who look for a winter bed.
Wouldn’t think that this would be much of a challenge.
Yes....and now even in urban areas, these guys are hanging around scoping things out!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have one!

My Teg is in the UK, the entire country is a rust belt and 90's Honda's are designed to disintegrate. Even better, Honda UK fitted the UKDM models with arch liners that trap dirty water and salt, so the car can properly rust from the inside as designed.

I dont have a free garage to store it and came across the Carcoon setup - my car is stored around 9 months of the year and Carcoon is on 24/7 (I've had it running around 7 months now)

I use an indoor car cover on the car before storing inside the Carcoon. It's a real faff to remove/reattach the carcoon top, it's not the softest material, it has various zippers and will be dragged across your paint unless you have like 2 people to help you put it on/take it off. It also gets properly battered by the wind (as I use outdoors) and will definitely rub against the car, so IMO an internal cover is essential

zipped up and inflating

a frosty blimp

As for people asking about rodents etc, the floor part is pretty thick and slippy and would be pretty resistant to critters. I still think an enterprising enough rodent could potentially puncture it but they'd have to be really desperate to get inside. I'd put traps around if that's an issue in your area. It's not exactly warm inside it and also doubt anything would be able to smell e.g. delicious soy flavoured electrical cables to get in and chew.

One of the coolest features is the airflow system, a small zipper on the front can be opened for ventilation so air is constantly cycled through the carcoon - definitely the weak spot for rodents - but not an issue for where my Carcoon is (plenty of cats in the area help 😂

Also has battery tender built in which is handy, charges your car and runs the **** fans. Overall 10/10 would recommend, my car is minty fresh every time I go back to unearth it!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Veloce version is a rigid tentlike structure that keeps its shape. Its like a mini garage - you pull the car in and zip it up to seal it in. I did a bit of research and people in various other forums (ferrari, porsche, etc) use them and say they've never had rodent issues, even with cars stored in dirt floor barns for years at a time.

For me, the selling point is that it has two fans that suck/blow and supposedly exchanges the internal air like 50 times an hour, keeping condensation/rust/mold from forming.

Mine will be setup in my unheated garage over winter. Concrete floors and walls.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ah I remember looking at the Veloce version now! Ultimately wasn't suitable for me as that one is specific to indoor and I needed a durable outdoor storage solution, but the principle still applies. The airflow feature is brilliant, keeps the car totally dry and fresh. I also lower my windows a little bit before putting on the inner cover to get airflow throughout the car.

There's a guy on youtube who made a video on the rust saving effects of Carcoons - he lives on the south coast of the UK near the sea where it's extra salty. He used test pieces of metal, one inside the carcoon, one right outside it subject to the elements, and one in an enclosed garage. The results after a year were shocking - the metal inside the carcoon, kept dry and subject to airflow was virtually perfect. The piece outside was rusted to shit, and the piece in the garage also had some light surface corrosion. The airflow system is brilliant.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I have one!
Overall 10/10 would recommend, my car is minty fresh every time I go back to unearth it!
Same here. Used it to store the '78 Alfetta. Very effective, would recommend. Makes some noise though.
Also very smart idea to use an indoor cover as well, as the wind can make the sides hit the car when it gets stormy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts