Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Not nearly as exotic but:

I had one of these back in the late-80s. The high-compression 8.2 liter engine would spin the front wheels in complete silence. Comfortable and reliable with that cool late-60s Bill Mitchell styling (I also like the Toronado). Alas, it drank more fuel than an F/A-18 and had a vinyl top that was starting to corrode underneath . . .

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
679 Posts
Pre-internet cool cars could be found in Hemmings, I used to be a subscriber. One sad morning I missed, by a single day, a twincharged 89 MR2, had the HKS turbo to go with the factory S/C. White with black leather as I recall and about $10k. That would have been a keeper.

I did have a stock 89 S/C MR2 and wish I'd kept it.

·
Registered
918 Posts
and a couple of silvers....

View attachment 123057

I had one as well.... However for me, I don't really miss any car I have gotten rid of... I have yet to replace an existing car with something that was lesser or worst than what I had... That being said, I don't typically trade out cars often so there are no impulse decisions that may get me into a regret mode.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Quite a few of my first dream cars are pretty much unobtainable now. Integra Type R, Mk4 Supra turbo. :(

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thought I would start this so we could keep a running tally.
Think everyone knows about my "brilliant" move on purchasing a 1984 318i in in the 1980's instead of a 1972 Dino GTS for $27k CDN

View attachment 123039

also regret selling my 1985 911 Targa
my 1981 Olds Omega can RIP lol
Oh dear, lpspeedster.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I made a bad Dino choice in 1987 passed on one at $19,000. Sold my 1997 Supra Turbo just before Fast and Furious came out, but my all time miss was passing on a Lancia Stratos I could have had in the $25K range.
Sounds like that old VW commercial. Here's the man who married a sex kitten, just before she turned into a cat.

·
Registered
244 Posts
My 1969 Jaguar E-Type roadster. Had it restored between 2011-2012 when I was back at the Naval Academy. Sold it in 2018, and miss it a lot. I used the money from the sale to buy the 4C though, so it all worked out okay.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive parking light Wheel Plant Car Vehicle

·
Registered
337 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Multiple misses (these are not dreams, had the cash in hand each time)
1) When I got my driver's license and mom went to work for the government we decided to pool our money and buy one good car. I'd drive her to work, head for school and then pick her up after school. We had a plan! Found a cool looking car but Pop had to drive it because it was stick shift. It was also loud (needed mufflers?) didn't have A/C, AT or PS so we walked away from a $4,500.00 1966 Shelby GT-350
2) Argued with the owner over $500.00 not once but twice over the course of a few months. $4,500.00 vs $5,000.00 for a beautiful 1964 cats-eye Ferrari 330GT 2+2.
3) Passed on a 1979 chocolate brown A/C and AT equipped Alfetta Sport Sedan not once but twice in 6 months. Literally had the money in my pocket both times and didn't pull the trigger. My 1975 Alfetta Sedan is still my favorite Alfa of all time.

In all fairness though I paid $2,200.00 for an original 750D which I still have and got $25,000.00 knocked off the sticker price of my 4C because it was a left-over so I'd have to say the ledger balances

·
Registered
241 Posts
In 1982, a year out of law school was offered a 1957 Mercedes Benz 300SL convertible for $50,000, unfortunately I was really broke , but had a 1974 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 as my daily driver, second regret to slip by was in 1984 ,had a 1983 Alfa Romeo GTV-6 as my daily driver, my mechanic was renting space at a shop that had a lot of interesting cars, an original Ford GT 40 in the showroom that I enjoyed seeing and sitting in, the car I didn't buy was a 1967 Ferrari 330 GTC, that needed paint and a little work, no rust for $30,000, painful. The last great regret was an ad in the cars for sale in Autoweek , probably 1985 or 1986 for a Lancia Stratos in Europe for $25,000. Oh well ,I never really dwell on the past. I did get lucky in 1994 and picked up a DeTomaso Pantera for $14,000. I have done some work on it , but it is perfect.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
945 Posts
LOL, all of my previous cars i did mess up (tuned the shit out of it). None of them should have been sold....(especially the red Speedster)
Now, i'm staying oem.....i do'nt want to mess up my 4C.....

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Ugh.

The 4C > 997S, but my car was so well sorted, and so good at different things... yeah, hindsight is 20/20.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

---------------

Nothing hurts more than missing this boat. The entire thing was a custom build, with multiple trips to Checkmate's shop in Ohio to customize it. Once e you have a 2-stroke racing engine hangin' off the back, you'll understand why the 4C is the only car out there that can satisfy sufficiently. They both light up ridiculously fast, and are hyper and jumpy in a way that virtually nothing else can imitate.

Tire Wheel Boat trailer Sky Vehicle

1 - 20 of 41 Posts