Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 white 4c. 13.5k miles. Cat delete/Novetic downpipe install. Bye bye race exhaust/stradale Exhaust with control valve.

I am no mechanic by any means, took me and a friend about 17 hours to do. Most frustrating thing I have ever done to a car.

Will provide all the pics I took to help give everyone a much clearer idea of what this took to do.

Take engine cover off. Mine is actually pretty easy to get on or off, but I've heard other have broken the pieces that hold it on. So be careful. Mine popped off and was able to tilt back and remove.

Bought a 3.5 ton low profile jack and 4 2 ton jack stands. Yes, you do need a low profile jack, and even then its almost not low enough. Be careful lifting up this car. 3 spots to lift on each side is what i did. Little padded squares, and the back webbed area. I used the middle spot to lift the car up. Just enough to get the jack stands under the car at its lowest point. Then on the other side, lifted the car in the middle super high and placed the other 2 jack stands. Then back on the other side and lifted it up to match the other side.

Unclamp the muffler to the middle mesh spacer piece. Mine had a small half inch weld on it. Used a screw driver to bend it back and forth till it broke. Push forward and slide down and out.

Unscrew the O2 sensor and unbolt the middle pipe from the bottom of the cat. Make sure to save any kind of metal spacers to put back on.

Now the hard part. The cat is a pretty big piece and not super light. The only thing holding the cat now, is a V clamp. From the factory, it seems all the V clamps are rolled a certain way, and because of the size of the clamp, the bolt is super long and the tight space doesn't allow you to see the nut or get a deep weld socket onto the bolt to unscrew it. BE WARNED. This is why doing a cat delete on these cars are notorious for being a pain in the ass. If that clamp was moved down just a little bit, this time in this job would have been cut in half, and the difficulty would have been far far less. This is what I did: unbolt the bracket holding the cat. 2 nuts, and 2 bolts. Unbolt the bottom colling shroud bolt. Lower the car back down to sit on the ground. Unclamp the hose connected to the cooling shroud. There are 5 bolts holding the cooling shroud. Ive posted a picture of this as well to easily reference the bolt location.

NOW: it is recommended to take off the other intake hose and the ac lines, and other stuff I can't remember. I did not do this because I'm not confident enough to put everything back on. If you do have the knowledge and confidence to remove these things, I suggest it because removing the shroud will be so much easier. I have to take a wrench and warp the cooling shroud and cut it using a a pencil grinder. (Not a good idea. But i was under a time restraint and didn't have much of a choice.) It still took several hours to get this done. Once this is removed ( and cussed at), time to unclip the 02 sensor connected to the cat, and drop down the sensor. Its kinda difficult to get to, but we managed.

The V-clamp is now somewhat accessible. Unbolt of the V clamp by loosening the back of the bolt almost all the way.

Lift the car back up, as much as possible, as safety as possible. Craw back under. Lift up the cat, slide the v-clamp over, and let down slowly not to damage the metal ring in the clamp.

Unbolt the 02 sensor from the cat. Mine was about seized on so I had to use a vise to get off.

Bolt on the o2 sensor on the downpipe.

Crawl back under the car. Lift the downpipe up along with the end of the 02 sensor. NOW the important part. Make sure when you put the metal ring back on with the v-clamp, you position it back in a way that allows you to access it again in the future much more easily. There is no much space while doing this, so be cautious. Once its put back on properly this time(not the alpha way), bolt the cat bracket back on.

Connect the mid pipe to the downpipe, using the metal piece that came off the old cat. (Looks like a triangle or shape of a house).

Connect the 02 sensor back to the mid pipe. Getting the mid pipe and exhaust out of the holders were a challenge. Mine pretty much just ripped so I used zip ties to hold it until my new holders come in.

Connect the new exhaust/muffler set up to the mid pipe. This will be different for different people considering the different exhaust and exhaust tips out there. I, then added the tips. Make sure everything is secure and stable.

I did an oil change after this.

Lower the car.

Connect the cat/02 sensor back to its clip.

Put the cooling shroud back on. (Again, i didnt take everything off so this was a pain for me. I ended up just cutting off the piece that was giving me trouble. And it helped a lot to put back on. Do I suggest doing this? Of course not. The cooling shroud was made in that design for a reason. I just did what I had to in my situation I put myself in.

I'll post a pic of what I did, do at your own risk.

Beware to not rip or tare any vacuum lines. I did this and my car went into limp mode. Its was a p0299 code: turbo/supercharger underboost. 1 small tiny vacuum line can screw up your whole evening.

Connect the intake hose back on to the cooling shroud and the Intake piece.

I think that's it. One of the hardest and frustrating things I've done in a long time. Prepare to give up several times and cool down. Give yourself ample amount of time. Unlimited if possible.

I have yet to install my control valve with my exhaust because it didn't come with instructions of where to connect the purple wire.

Here are all the pics I got. Im sorry if I wasn't as detailed as I could be, but what I had seen hadn't been much help and couldn't find hardly any information from start to finish on YouTube or anywhere else. Maybe this will help anyone else who is thinking about tackling this themselves.

About to load the pics now.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More pics

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The V-band clamp was easy to remove after the cooling shroud was gone, but other wise I couldn't see it at all. Im glad at least one person didn't have a hard time like I did.

·
Super Moderator
15,391 Posts
The V-band clamp was easy to remove after the cooling shroud was gone, but other wise I couldn't see it at all. Im glad at least one person didn't have a hard time like I did.
Yeah, I couldn’t even feel the bolt in the clamp with the shroud loosened and pulled back slightly. Probably millimetres from victory when I gave in and let the dealer finish.

Well done to both of you for persevering!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yeah, the downpipe is such a pain.

I loosened the V-band from below the car and ended up clocking it differently for easier access next time (which I hope there isn't one :sneaky:).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, the downpipe is such a pain.

I loosened the V-band from below the car and ended up clocking it differently for easier access next time (which I hope there isn't one :sneaky:).
I still haven't had a chance to get those pieces for you, but I promise once I have a chance to, I will get them. I havent forgotten about you

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So... Now a vid with equal dedication to get accurate sound? Even as a digital trophy for all the hard work, also for us still OEM exhaust to live vicariously.
I'm working on it for sure. I want the quality and sound to be the best to best represent what it actually sounds like. Im part of an exotic car group and the "founder" always creates great footage of our convoys. We have a trip to the tail of the dragon this weekend so looking forward to getting to footage of that and a few launches as well.

·
Registered
2016 4C Spider + 1985 Ferrari 308 GTS QV
433 Posts
I'm working on it for sure. I want the quality and sound to be the best to best represent what it actually sounds like. Im part of an exotic car group and the "founder" always creates great footage of our convoys. We have a trip to the tail of the dragon this weekend so looking forward to getting to footage of that and a few launches as well.
I wish. If 2021 sees a better time, maybe the southeast can muster all the 4c to do a TotD rally for likely a Guinness record (gotta beat Passion meet out in Europe! ~20-30 4c in one place), are you the youtuber to make it happen?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wish. If 2021 sees a better time, maybe the southeast can muster all the 4c to do a TotD rally for likely a Guinness record (gotta beat Passion meet out in Europe! ~20-30 4c in one place), are you the youtuber to make it happen?
Lol definitely not the man for the job. I dont even own a computer, just a smart phone. Technology is not my strong suit. But that would be pretty nice to have happen.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Nice write-up and excellent pictures. Thanks.

I haven't even looked at my Cat, but, I suspect it was mounted to the engine before the engine was installed. Without removing the engine (or at least moving over a bit), you've done the "impossible" job.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts