Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took my 2017 with under 10k miles in for chassis torque, belts and water pump, oil change, brake flush. There were a couple hiccups regarding time it would require. Dealership called to tell me all work had been complete. About 2 miles driving home while merging with freeway traffic the engine faltered and the “ check engine” light came on.Returning to the dealership I was told the mechanic was on vacation. I left the Alfa there for the week he was gone. They have been working to solve the problem but without success. The Alfa experiences the same problem, according to the code, low boost pressure. I have a meeting Monday to discuss as they cannot solve the issue. I have asked that they send to a shop with more experience, only one in Oregon. Washington has three with one being a Maserati dealership. Anyone experienced the same symptoms? It’s been in the shop 3 weeks and I have lost confidence in the local dealership.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your problems and the dealerships incompetence.

I put my money on that they re-used hose clamps on the charge pipes that run from the turbo to the intake manifold. These should not be reused as they stretch when re-torqued and boost pressure leaks by.

Tell them you want all of the house clamps from the turbo to the intake replaced. If that solves the problem I'd recommend you ask for a generous discount on your total service bill for the trouble. Root cause should be trivial to determine on that code...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for insight. Chassis torque and belt/water pump were the areas they were supposed to work on.. I spoke with GM today and they are attempting to establish it wasn’t due to their negligence. They know the problem, just not how to fix..Today they promised more info Friday which means they will not be working on it for the next 5 days. I’m looking at a independent shop with 4C experience and hope that I can use my extended warranty. Frustrating as I am at their scheduling convenience. I will post more results as I receive results

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stopped by a local shop today and explained my problems. A big grin came across his face as he stated he knew exactly the problem as it has happened before with customer 4C’s. Picked up Alfa from dealership and will deliver tomorrow. Stand by for next post which I hope I can end with a smiley 😃.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You could not pay me money to let them touch my car again.

Interested to hear what you encounter. I've got a CEL throwing Catalytic Converter code. That's still under federal warranty, but the warranty work has to be done by a dealership. I'm considering driving to Tacoma for it. I'm that distrustful of Tonkin after my experience.

Which local shop are you talking to?

·
Premium Member
4,368 Posts
Low boost pressure is usually a bad clamp on a hose. Guess what should be looked at first (but not exclusively)?

If you, via your right foot, ask for boost for more than five seconds (I mean, basically any load/accel for 5+ seconds will do it), and the ECU spots a certain delta between boost given and received (for lack of better words), the CEL comes on.

The clamps are notoriously finicky, or the techs are unnecessarily hard on them. Bad clamp = pressure leak

No damage will occur to the engine.

Reactions: RKBerta

·
Registered
367 Posts
Which dealership is this? The community deserves to know so that others do not find themselves in this situation. Thank god there was no interference damage to the motor...

I wonder how far you'll make out with the dealership considering you took the car from them as-is. They're likely to play the blame game...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is only one Alfa Romeo dealership in Oregon. I have not heard back from them yet so too early to speculate. It would seem like a poor business decision to refuse payment.
cheers,Jon

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sounds like a great idea..shop Hoping to have completed all work by tomorrow. I hope all this is a learning process and a bump in the road. Approaching 6 weeks out of service between both shops. Considering this was intended to be factory recommended service for routine maintenance I am concerned about any future shop visits.

·
Super Moderator
12,321 Posts
sounds like a great idea..shop Hoping to have completed all work by tomorrow. I hope all this is a learning process and a bump in the road. Approaching 6 weeks out of service between both shops. Considering this was intended to be factory recommended service for routine maintenance I am concerned about any future shop visits.
If you’ve found a good shop stay with them. Develop a relationship from which you can both benefit. The longest my 4C has been in for service is two days for the big one at 5 years.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been super happy with Botta, and will be getting all my work done with them in the future, or possibly heading to the Seattle area if it's truly a dealer only repair/maintenance issue. For the bolt tightening, belt service and water pump I think they had it for 3 days? Hard to remember since I scheduled it for when I was out of town and they kindly held onto it for the rest of the week I was gone. I had issues with Tonkin and my Abarth, when trying to get quotes from them on my 4C I couldn't even get them to return my calls. Really glad Botta is here. Today they also had a 79 and an 83 Alfa spider in for service amongst other ridiculously fun vehicles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts