Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Geez Alfanut,

you must have driven that little motor pretty hard to get that sensor from the inlet to the exhaust. That's a proper Italian tune-up for ya. Good job you haven't gone catless, or you would have lost that sensor completely.

Lucky you have other toys to pass the time while you are waiting.

Put that one on the Quickjack, pop on the charger and pretend you are having to wait for Spring to come around like a lot of our other friends on the Forum have to do every year.

First World problems.

Cheers,

Alf.
Yes, I realise, but others may not be quite as fortunate and able to swap between horses. Something as simple as a lambda sensor they haven’t got? I’m a rusted on Alfista and can separate the car and marque from the organisation. Edit: Others may not be as tolerant and walk away from their Alfa. Not good for customer confidence in the brand.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,125 Posts
If Jamie can get it for 69 pounds plus shipping....mighty be less of a hassle and wait to just get it through him. Than you can rub it in ALFA Australia's face and let them know how POed you are that you can get it faster from an aftermarket vendor in the UK....and for that price vs. theirs.

·
Super Moderator
9,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
If Jamie can get it for 69 pounds plus shipping....mighty be less of a hassle and wait to just get it through him. Than you can rub it in ALFA Australia's face and let them know how POed you are that you can get it faster from an aftermarket vendor in the UK....and for that price vs. theirs.
All I can say is I can’t wait to be out of the warranty period. I’m going to order myself a Foxwell 530 too.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,125 Posts
All I can say is I can’t wait to be out of the warranty period. I’m going to order myself a Foxwell 530 too.
I have one.....good choice. In the meantime....if you have an Android cell phone, look for an app called CAR SCANNER. It connects with a cheap OBDII wireless USB connector. It has TONS of information it pulls from your car. It also has ability to give you 0-30 0-60 etc. times and you can choose any test you want such as 40-80 and save that test for later. It reads speed from GPS and time is accurate so a good tool for finding performance changes in small amounts...good or bad. Previously I had Torque PRO but this new one has a lot more information available.

·
Super Moderator
9,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have one.....good choice. In the meantime....if you have an Android cell phone, look for an app called CAR SCANNER. It connects with a cheap OBDII wireless USB connector. It has TONS of information it pulls from your car. It also has ability to give you 0-30 0-60 etc. times and you can choose any test you want such as 40-80 and save that test for later. It reads speed from GPS and time is accurate so a good tool for finding performance changes in small amounts...good or bad. Previously I had Torque PRO but this new one has a lot more information available.
Nah, I just ditched my 10 years old Samsung for an eight years old iPhone.

·
Super Moderator
9,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Geez Alfanut,

you must have driven that little motor pretty hard to get that sensor from the inlet to the exhaust. That's a proper Italian tune-up for ya. Good job you haven't gone catless, or you would have lost that sensor completely.

Lucky you have other toys to pass the time while you are waiting.

Put that one on the Quickjack, pop on the charger and pretend you are having to wait for Spring to come around like a lot of our other friends on the Forum have to do every year.

First World problems.

Cheers,

Alf.
Beeen thinking about this and have come to the hypothesis that it may be because I do a lot of shorter, slower trips in it than I do in Rosie and the sensor has just carboned up. It’ll be interesting to see when it’s replaced.

·
Super Moderator
9,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Try talking to AlfaRomeoCares (or whatever Australian counterpart is); they might be able to expedite delivery for the part you need. They were very helpful to me in a similar situation.

This kind of stuff is very frustrating; it was a major factor in my decision not to keep Stelvio Quad bought new (and eventually to get a used, out of warranty 4c, but that's beside the point :) ). Hope your Giulietta gets fixed soon.
I just made contact with the FCA complaints just to see if anything of substance occurs. Now for waiting their response. All I asked for was a speeding up of the parts procurement process and that a reminder that had this occurred to a non-Alfista it may discourage thoughts of purchasing another Alfa. Polite and honest. Let’s see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
9,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I just made contact with the FCA complaints just to see if anything of substance occurs. Now for waiting their response. All I asked for was a speeding up of the parts procurement process and that a reminder that had this occurred to a non-Alfista it may discourage thoughts of purchasing another Alfa. Polite and honest. Let’s see what happens.
No, nothing back...except being informed the part(s) will have arrived by the end of the week and the Giulietta is booked in for this coming Monday, 7/6/21. I suppose five weeks (seven since the start of the saga) isn’t bad but it all could have been taken care of within a week. Looking forward to seeing if they correctly identified the problem.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Bleh, sorry it is taking so long. I know there is not much to be done, but 7 weeks sounds pretty bad to me. Even assuming that the part will indeed arrive and that the repair solves the issue.

In any case, hope everything goes smoothly and without further delays.

·
Super Moderator
9,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Just dropped off the Giulietta to get those parts I’ve been waiting on to get fitted under warranty. I’m hoping it solves the problem....At least they have the parts, so that’s a start.

·
Super Moderator
9,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Good news. The Giulietta was returned to me this afternoon. Apparently there was an internal fault with the lambda sensor that caused it to go haywire when hot. They also changed the cat....because that’s what they do with this fault. Can’t argue with the thoroughness. Zero expense to me apart from the train fare from and back to the dealership. I’ll take her out for a proper run tomorrow morning. My only gripe was the 5 week wait for the parts that weren’t in stock. The rest of the experience has been satisfactory. Tomorrows’ drive will be telling.

·
Super Moderator
9,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Got 10km down the road on my drive today and guess whose pretty little orange check engine light decided to keep me company? She’s booked in for Friday. I‘m going to again suggest the battery might need changing if another random error has appeared.

·
Super Moderator
9,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Do you have a scanner to see if the codes are the same or not?
Not yet....I thought the dealer had a handle on it....I’m thinking the engine check light is being activated by random errors associated with weak battery voltage, but I’m only guessing. Once I have the battery test done I’ll have a better understanding.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Alfanut,
I can hear your sigh when that light came back on all the way over here on the other side of the continent in Perth.
Hmm dodgy fault diagnosis, followed by a five week wait for the part, then a re-occurrence of the original fault (that should have shown with a proper test at the workshop). :rolleyes: Cars are too complex, or technicians aren’t as good as they used to be.
At least you have a new sensor and cat.
Hopefully round 2 will involve better diagnostics and the random selection of the correct part(s) using an Ouija board at a seance and consulting our ancestral spirits will reveal the true culprit. Otherwise they will have to break the CEL globe to prevent a re-occurrence.
It will be wonderful if that part is in stock - that way we won’t have to wait another 5 weeks for a result.
At least it’s not your only car and that one is still in warranty. You are only having to put up with the inconvenience of the issue (wondering if it’s real and actually may harm something) and travelling on Sydney’s public transport occasionally (which can be an interesting experience in itself).
Good Luck Buddy - hope this time they can fix it.
Cheers
Alf.

Reactions: Alfanut and lat

·
Super Moderator
9,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Alfanut,
I can hear your sigh when that light came back on all the way over here on the other side of the continent in Perth.
Hmm dodgy fault diagnosis, followed by a five week wait for the part, then a re-occurrence of the original fault (that should have shown with a proper test at the workshop). :rolleyes: Cars are too complex, or technicians aren’t as good as they used to be.
At least you have a new sensor and cat.
Hopefully round 2 will involve better diagnostics and the random selection of the correct part(s) using an Ouija board at a seance and consulting our ancestral spirits will reveal the true culprit. Otherwise they will have to break the CEL globe to prevent a recurrence.
It will be wonderful if that part is in stock - that way we won’t have to wait another 5 weeks for a result.
At least it’s not your only car and that one is still in warranty. You are only having to put up with the inconvenience of the issue (wondering if it’s real and actually may harm something) and travelling on Sydney’s public transport occasionally (which can be an interesting experience in itself).
Good Luck Buddy - hope this time they can fix it.
Cheers
Alf.
Thanks Alf. Yes, Cath was with me and she heard the expletives. We were on our way to Colo looking forward to one of their hearty soups for lunch. Now not.

We’re about to get an Antarctic blast this evening which will really put the battery under strain. Wondering if I should leave the testing until tomorrow but then again I want to avoid rain.

Have fun in Perth. I’ve seen more lunatics riding public transport in Perth in one day than in ten years in Sydney. Possibly just my luck. Hope the weather is favourable. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
The battery may be OK, but the battery terminals may still need cleaning

Reactions: Alfanut
21 - 40 of 55 Posts