Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
All I can say is I can’t wait to be out of the warranty period. I’m going to order myself a Foxwell 530 too.
What is the difference between the Foxwell 510 and 530.

The 510 is available on eBay in Australia but the 530 not.
Is it worth the extra $$?

Is the Foxwell the 4C forums go-to recommended scanner?

·
Super Moderator
9,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·

Good question. I’ve yet to order.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Sorry to hear the woes persist. Hope you get some kind of compensation for inconvenience if you do a better job than AR did, which at this point is a distinct possibility.

·
Super Moderator
9,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
The battery may be OK, but the battery terminals may still need cleaning
I was thinking that but don’t want to wipe any error codes for the dealer by disconnecting the battery. It’ll ask them to clean the terminals thoroughly come Friday when I take it back in. I’ll do it for certain when I collect her from them, AGAIN.

·
Super Moderator
9,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Sorry to hear the woes persist. Hope you get some kind of compensation for inconvenience if you do a better job than AR did, which at this point is a distinct possibility.
They do have a nice Swiss coffee machine that makes good coffee and the coffee is free....at least while the job is a warranty issue.

·
Super Moderator
9,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
No compensation. I’ll do as Alf suggested, after I get it back, and ensure the battery terminals are gleaming. At least it will eliminate that as a cause.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
No compensation. I’ll do as Alf suggested, after I get it back, and ensure the battery terminals are gleaming. At least it will eliminate that as a cause.
What about the earth to engine block? Bad earth does all sorts to electrickery.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts

I think the 530 is an updated 510 to cover more engine types according to the comparative product listings on Foxwell site. Either one is probably fine.

i maybe was the one of the first ones on here that got the NT510 with the Alfa Romeo specific protocol. I forget who recommended me to look into this one.

Many people on here got the Foxwell as well, it may or may not be the go to scanner but the Foxwell was reasonably priced, available on Amazon, and had expanded scanning more than just engine codes specifically TCM scanning.

We were missing the TCM codes with the cheaper $20-50 code readers.

Reactions: Alfanut

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,125 Posts
I think the 530 is an updated 510 to cover more engine types according to the comparative product listings on Foxwell site. Either one is probably fine.

i maybe was the one of the first ones on here that got the NT510 with the Alfa Romeo specific protocol. I forget who recommended me to look into this one.

Many people on here got the Foxwell as well, it may or may not be the go to scanner but the Foxwell was reasonably priced, available on Amazon, and had expanded scanning more than just engine codes specifically TCM scanning.

We were missing the TCM codes with the cheaper $20-50 code readers.
Docron....think CallMeAl was the first to use and recommend the Foxwell scanner. I got one and it works great. It came already preloaded with the ALFA 4C data it needed. For another $60 reach you could add another car up to a max of 3 cars. As I recall the 530 was basically the same thing with more maximum cars allowed but you should check on line for the differences. The Foxwell plugs into the OBDII port with a wired connection. It is very easy to figure how to use.

On the other hand I have been very impressed with an Android app on Play Store called Car Scanner that is free as I recall with an upgrade to Pro that basically is to give some bucks to the developer to thank him. It uses a Bluetooth dongle available at Amazon from many sources. Currently I use a cheapo one that cost around $15 (blue plastic case and made in China). Supposedly the more expensive ones in $50 range and up are more robust although the one I have has worked fine since I first got it in 2017. It does need to be the 237 protocol but believe all of them use it now as that is the latest standard. The neat part is that it has an extensive on line download for just about any car out there including the 4C and the programmer will add any cars you want if not already existing. I just started playing with it (I am a BETA tester) and it has a seemingly unlimited amount of things it can do....including performance and acceleration tests using GPS and data from the OBDII port. The guy doing it is very responsive to suggestions and requests. It tests an amazing amount of stuff on the car and can clear codes. I haven't checked if it will clear the change oil light as mine hasn't come on since I got it as I am only at a bit under 15,000 miles on my 2015 LE....last time I used the peddle dance routine to cancel it. I like that the app is on my cell phone (Samsung) so very handy and no additional equipment needed other than the dongle which is very small. Only warning....make sure you don't leave the dongle plugged in when not in use as I suspect it might drain the battery after an extended storage time. The Foxwell device is larger...about the size of a large paperback book plus the cable to the plug for the OBDII so no Bluetooth needed with the Foxwell.

And....no....I don't know if there is an I-phone compatible version.

·
Super Moderator
9,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
They found an exhaust leak at the manifold end....a leaking dump pipe....It looks like someone didn’t fit something properly last Monday. Grrrrr. Once I get it back there’s another excuse to go back up the Putty. Must remember to take it easy...It’s a double demerit points long weekend.

·
Super Moderator
9,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Success! I picked up the Giulietta early this morning and have just done a bottom third run of the Putty, now stopped at Colo River for that soup we missed out on last Tuesday. The Giulietta is running as sweetly as ever, loving the cool, crisp morning air and not a sign of the check engine light. It’s amazing what a proper seal at the dump pipe can achieve. Fingers crossed that this is the last time I need to post here with a recurrence of this problem. I’ll post the precise explanation when I can. Edit: Attached below, the explanation.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
ALFA - Another Leak Fixed Again.

Glad that the fun Alfa experience on the Putty Road has returned. Let's hope it stays that way with no more check engine lights.

Cheers,

Alf.

Reactions: Alfanut

·
Super Moderator
9,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
ALFA - Another Leak Fixed Again.

Glad that the fun Alfa experience on the Putty Road has returned. Let's hope it stays that way with no more check engine lights.

Cheers,

Alf.
You’re telling me, Alf! The first time since Easter where I haven’t seen a check engine light staring me in face. Missed Dynamic mode too. She has a lovely soulful growl in that mode with the Ragazzon. A lovely relaxed alternative to the 4C that Cath enjoys too....The sacrifices we make.... 😉 😁

41 - 55 of 55 Posts