Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Administrator
16,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I see InoKinetic has their 4Chip Guards available again on their website.

Not sure it's been pointed out that these are back for sale since Sector 111 closed shop.

https://www.inokinetic.com/alfa/4chipgard

I like mine. They did de-laminate after being exposed to cold winter storage, however I've glued them back together and they've stayed fine since then.
Just before S111 failed, I spoke with Shinoo about that and he acknowledged that a few other customers had discovered that as well.
Not sure if the issue has been resolved, but the product looks great and does prevent a lot of debris from flying off the front wheels onto your paint and body work.

·
Registered
293 Posts
As soon as I learned that they started to reproduce the set, I've bought it and received the glossy one. Now I have 2 pairs of rockguard. One from Sector111 and another from ZL1. (one costed me 4x of the other one)

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
I have a set and highly recommend them. Have saved the sides of my car from untold damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
477 Posts
IMO, these are a must as stones get thrown up along the underside of the doors and can chip or leave marks in the paint.

Once they are on, you will completely forget about them as you barely notice they are there.

Great product.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I don't have any pics that show them handy, but the pics people have done in the past have mostly been closeups because from anything further back you just don't see them. They blend into the tire or wheel well depending on the angle. I'll take some pics.

·
Administrator
16,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you guys post some pics from various angles, and not all closeups of these installed?
All the photos I could quickly find on this computer - sorry that they are glam shots instead of chip-guard specific, but it might help you visualize them on the car.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,135 Posts
Can you guys post some pics from various angles, and not all closeups of these installed?
Get them. I had them on my last car and didn't take them off when it was totaled. Huge mistake. I have been driving without them since and the amount of crap that ends up on my doors is exponentially greater. I feel like our wheels don't help us here either.

Visually, I don't notice any difference between the old car (with chip guards) and the new one (without). As others have said, they really disappear once you install them; definitely a functional item not a visual one.

BTW... Where are the center console install pics? :wink2::wink2:

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Get them. I had them on my last car and didn't take them off when it was totaled. Huge mistake. I have been driving without them since and the amount of crap that ends up on my doors is exponentially greater. I feel like our wheels don't help us here either.

Visually, I don't notice any difference between the old car (with chip guards) and the new one (without). As others have said, they really disappear once you install them; definitely a functional item not a visual one.

BTW... Where are the center console install pics? :wink2::wink2:
Thanks, I'll pick them up.

As for the center console, 2 things. First, if you've seen the thread in the Interior section about dash delamination, my dash has experienced that issue slightly and my entire dash is being replaced under warranty starting next week Tuesday. The replacement dash just arrived at my dealer late last week and I went yesterday to check it out visually. So since that's being done, I was waiting on the center console install.

But secondly, I don't have it at the moment anyways. I dropped it off at a friend of a friend's shop that does upholstery work to get the front cup holder section reworked a bit. It has nothing to do with Lars' work, which was fantastic. But once he wrapped that area, the extra leather material there made it completely useless as a cup holder. So the guy that I dropped it off with is going to do one of 2 things, either cut the cup holder out and install a slightly larger one, or redo it as a general tray to hold a cell phone or something, similar to how the carbon fiber Koshi one is. He said it all depends on how much depth and area he has to play with before decided which direction to go. I gave him free will to decide what looks best. I always have the rear cup holder for actual drinks anyways. Lars said he can do other custom things for this area on future consoles. But since mine was technically the first, I wanted to see his overall work and vouch for it on the forums here before I started adding additional costs.

·
Premium Member
2,135 Posts
Thanks, I'll pick them up.

As for the center console, 2 things. First, if you've seen the thread in the Interior section about dash delamination, my dash has experienced that issue slightly and my entire dash is being replaced under warranty starting next week Tuesday. The replacement dash just arrived at my dealer late last week and I went yesterday to check it out visually. So since that's being done, I was waiting on the center console install.

But secondly, I don't have it at the moment anyways. I dropped it off at a friend of a friend's shop that does upholstery work to get the front cup holder section reworked a bit. It has nothing to do with Lars' work, which was fantastic. But once he wrapped that area, the extra leather material there made it completely useless as a cup holder. So the guy that I dropped it off with is going to do one of 2 things, either cut the cup holder out and install a slightly larger one, or redo it as a general tray to hold a cell phone or something, similar to how the carbon fiber Koshi one is. He said it all depends on how much depth and area he has to play with before decided which direction to go. I gave him free will to decide what looks best. I always have the rear cup holder for actual drinks anyways. Lars said he can do other custom things for this area on future consoles. But since mine was technically the first, I wanted to see his overall work and vouch for it on the forums here before I started adding additional costs.
Interesting. I also generally use the back one for actual cup holding duties. I will be interested to see where you end up on the issue, though. :grin2:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Curious, the chipgards, did you install them yourself or have someone do this? I feel like every tiny pebble or grain of sand comes up on my car while driving and I cringe.

·
Administrator
16,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Curious, the chipgards, did you install them yourself or have someone do this? I feel like every tiny pebble or grain of sand comes up on my car while driving and I cringe.
It is not a difficult DIY. Best done with the wheel removed for room to work.
It employs mostly existing holes and repurposes some stock fasteners.
The first one takes 40 minutes, the second one 15 (quick learning curve).

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
It is not a difficult DIY. Best done with the wheel removed for room to work.

It employs mostly existing holes and repurposes some stock fasteners.

The first one takes 40 minutes, the second one 15 (quick learning curve).

Good to know. I’m supposed to get my car back tomorrow. My chip guards have been sitting on my work bench waiting to go on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
293 Posts
Just had them installed.

First one took me a good couple of hours. Second one took me 6 min. Seriously, the instruction is lacking and pictures dont really provide any information either.

Couple of things

First one, I found myself unscrewing fasteners that i did not need to remove.
Also, the orientation of the bracket being installed needs to be clarified. Once you know how it goes it, you kick yourself why you didnt think of it any earlier. This is one of those things, if you get it, you get it just like magic eye books.

Another time consuming part is the bolting the bracket down to inner sill. This other one would not align and i have hard time putting my hand inside wheel wall to align while holding bolt underneath with other hand. Tip is to use a thin screw driver put it in from under the sill instead of bolt and use that to align the speednut. Then use your left hand, while holding the speednut position and screw the bolt.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts