Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
I read somewhere that it required to drill a hole in the wheel well? Can somebody confirm? Is it truly necessary? I am thinking of getting these for my 4C (although my lower driver's side sill has already been chipped near the left rear tire well (despite having some form of PPF there)).

If I remember, you have to poke a hole in the inside black Brillo pad fender liner. Nothing in the body

·
Registered
317 Posts
I read somewhere that it required to drill a hole in the wheel well? Can somebody confirm? Is it truly necessary? I am thinking of getting these for my 4C (although my lower driver's side sill has already been chipped near the left rear tire well (despite having some form of PPF there)).
You have to poke a hole through the fender liner which is like carpet honestly. You're not drilling though any body work or panels.

Even if you screw up the holes are not noticeable and you will be fine

·
Registered
128 Posts
So I got mine from Inokinetic in. I read through the instructions and have some questions. Maybe somebody can answer these:

- The instructions point out that you have to jack up the car and, even more daunting to me, remove the front wheel(s). Is this really necessary or can you just turn the steering wheel all the way to one side to create some working space?
- When removing screws from body panels is it necessary to use some thread locker or something similar?
- Does it sit nice and flush with the rear part of the wheel fender or does some gap remain, especially with the lower door sills?

Thanks for answering. If all answers will prove positive I will try to install these my self and record the whole thing for my Youtube channel :)

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
My recollection is that you have to remove an inner fender liner (the felt thingy), so wheel removal is needed. No big deal, it's like any car wheel.

Once installed, the guard flexes to match the curvature of the fender opening. So, no gaps. It looks nice.

·
Registered
317 Posts
So I got mine from Inokinetic in. I read through the instructions and have some questions. Maybe somebody can answer these:

- The instructions point out that you have to jack up the car and, even more daunting to me, remove the front wheel(s). Is this really necessary or can you just turn the steering wheel all the way to one side to create some working space?
- When removing screws from body panels is it necessary to use some thread locker or something similar?
- Does it sit nice and flush with the rear part of the wheel fender or does some gap remain, especially with the lower door sills?

Thanks for answering. If all answers will prove positive I will try to install these my self and record the whole thing for my Youtube channel :)
1. I didn't remove anything or jack any thing up. Would have made it easier sure, but i didn't think it was necessary.
2. I didnt
3. When i tightened mine down i made sure there wasn't a gap. Mine are "curved" to follow the body lines perfectly.

·
Administrator
16,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
While you CAN do it without jacking up the car or removing the wheels, I don't know that you'd really WANT to.

You have to remove two fasteners under the sill behind the wheel well, and re-install them with a bracket behind the wheel well liner.
If you do not lift the car, it leaves you very little room to do this.
Keeping the wheel on the car means that you have to reach around it to loosen the felt liner (I only took out the fasteners for the back half of this, and did not remove it at all but could pull it out of the way). The wheel obstructs access to some of those screws.

There is a gap between the chip guard and the inboard lower cutout of the rocker panel (it's shown on this thread a couple of pages back), but you do not see this when everything is installed (unless you literally look up from underneath the car).

·
Registered
242 Posts
While you CAN do it without jacking up the car or removing the wheels, I don't know that you'd really WANT to.

You have to remove two fasteners under the sill behind the wheel well, and re-install them with a bracket behind the wheel well liner.
If you do not lift the car, it leaves you very little room to do this.
Keeping the wheel on the car means that you have to reach around it to loosen the felt liner (I only took out the fasteners for the back half of this, and did not remove it at all but could pull it out of the way). The wheel obstructs access to some of those screws.

There is a gap between the chip guard and the inboard lower cutout of the rocker panel (it's shown on this thread a couple of pages back), but you do not see this when everything is installed (unless you literally look up from underneath the car).
I'd agree, it's certainly possible without removing the wheel. It's also likely less trouble to remove the wheel to get better access than to work around the wheel. I removed my wheel, but I have a lift, so it was simple to do so. I can imagine some of it could be frustrating with the wheel in place.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hmmmm, all things considered I think I will try to install these without jacking things up or removing the wheel, a.k.a. the hard way ;-)

Again, I'll keep you posted of my progress. Also, when done filming and editing I will share a link to my YT-channel for the video.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hmmmm, all things considered I think I will try to install these without jacking things up or removing the wheel, a.k.a. the hard way ;-)

Again, I'll keep you posted of my progress. Also, when done filming and editing I will share a link to my YT-channel for the video.

It’s really not hard doing it with the wheel on and not jacked up, you do have to turn the wheel to give room in each wheel well and sit/lay on the floor. The first side is the hardest, figuring out what to do.

·
Registered
761 Posts
So I got my CF chip guards in and the protective covering is slightly lifted on one piece and on every piece it is slightly lifted where the holes were predrilled. Is this normal or should I return them? Not exactly what I expected quality wise.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
So I got my CF chip guards in and the protective covering is slightly lifted on one piece and on every piece it is slightly lifted where the holes were predrilled. Is this normal or should I return them? Not exactly what I expected quality wise.

If what you’re talking about is what I think it is, that’s just the plastic covering for shipping. There is no “protective covering” on them normally.

You’re supposed to peel that off. Think of it like the plastic covering that comes on the face of a new cell phone. You peel that off when you get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
761 Posts
If what you’re talking about is what I think it is, that’s just the plastic covering for shipping. There is no “protective covering” on them normally.

You’re supposed to peel that off. Think of it like the plastic covering that comes on the face of a new cell phone. You peel that off when you get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LMAO, gonna have to go look at that. I already installed them, but i'm sure I can peel it back if what you said turns out to be true!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm looking into some chip guards too for the front and rear.

If I look at the OEM chip guards from the Alfa 159, I wonder if they could match with the 4C... what do you guys think? The only problem is the fixations...

·
Super Moderator
9,654 Posts

If I look at the OEM chip guards from the Alfa 159, I wonder if they could match with the 4C... what do you guys think? The only problem is the fixations...
I think only front guards are needed. No idea if 159 guards fit. My guess is they’d be too large. Any idea of their dimensions? Carbon Chipguards made for the 4C are quite petite.

·
Administrator
16,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·

As you suggest, the problem with all guards is not so much the size, but the mounting hardware. You cannot secure them to the felt wheel liner. There SMC body panels don’t have enough of a return on them to use successfully. Doesn’t mean it is impossible, but it is going to take some engineering to work out a solution. Hence, most of us simply have gone with the product that Shinoo from Inokinetic has devised.

As far as rear guards are concerned, to each their own but they really are less of an issue. Perhaps moreso if you space out the rear wheels, but there isn’t as much body to throw stones at back there...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Are there any alternatives to these? Not in stock anymore and don’t seem to be orderable? The side of the car is just immediately filthy and it’s annoying!

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Are there any alternatives to these? Not in stock anymore and don’t seem to be orderable? The side of the car is just immediately filthy and it’s annoying!
If you could get a template of them it would be easy and cheap to make your own if you are useful that way. The chap who fitted mine said he could easily get some material and fashion the shape etc

41 - 60 of 91 Posts