Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I did a search for this topic, only found 1 thread with very little comments.

I have a 2015 LE with 20,000 km and when I am in 3rd or 4th gear, apply throttle the rpm increase but the car does not accelerate accordingly. If this was an old school manual it would obviously need a new clutch.

Has anyone had this issue? I called the dealer and their only suggestion is that I spend $2,500 to take out the transmission & clutch assembly to inspect them.

I know on many Ferraris they can inspect clutch wear without this level of work.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

David G.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Hi all, I did a search for this topic, only found 1 thread with very little comments.

I have a 2015 LE with 20,000 km and when I am in 3rd or 4th gear, apply throttle the rpm increase but the car does not accelerate accordingly. If this was an old school manual it would obviously need a new clutch.

Has anyone had this issue? I called the dealer and their only suggestion is that I spend $2,500 to take out the transmission & clutch assembly to inspect them.

I know on many Ferraris they can inspect clutch wear without this level of work.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

David G.
May I ask which dealership? Or area if you don't want to call them out. I think they should have stated/started with software update! As was also suggested by @Robocop305 .

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am in the greater Toronto area (Canada).

I will for sure ask about the software update for the transmission. I was just on the phone with Alfa Romeo Canada & they have opened up a case for me to give me a straight answer.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,451 Posts
Have you had any other trans work done? There is a calibration process to adjust the timing and kiss points on the clutches....that may be a solution if work was done on your trans and the calibration wasn't done. I doubt if the clutches are that worn. The 4C clutches last a long time...way more than what you have on them.
However, do you see any signs of an oil leak? If oil is leaking from somewhere onto the clutches that could be the cause. But since it seems you get good lockup in first and second gear I wouldn't think that was the problem.

·
Super Moderator
7,568 Posts

Thoughts? Suggestions?

David G.
Yep, a recalibration would be the first step. It’s just a download. I had one done to mine at my last service. It does as RK describes. Find a dealer who knows what they are talking about, not who wants to take your money.

·
Registered
450 Posts

David G.
David, my issue was that in 5th gear the clutch slipped. Took it to three different dealers in the area, they did the download to no avail. Giving $2,500 to anybody who does not know what they talking about will never have a happy ending. In the end, a tremendously capable local shop that supports racing Ferraris (and are not interested in any further Alfa Romeo work), finally solved the issue which required the purchase af a used transmission since the required parts were not available from Alfa Romeo, Fiat nor Chrysler. It took a while but the car was set up completely to my satisfaction. The repair cost was around $7k and I think they were very considerate with the estimate. I got my new C8 and decided that I didn't need any more aggravation from my 4c so it went away.

·
Registered
252 Posts
David, my issue was that in 5th gear the clutch slipped.
What was the actual issue with your transmission? I heard some folks who track their 4C hard, experience clutch slip between certain shifts, due to oil leaking from the rear main or input shaft seal. I wonder if that was your issue. :unsure:

10 hours by the book to remove the engine does not sound fun. :oops:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I confirm that it is indeed the clutch that must be changed. I had the same problem. It started with the 3rd and 4th then after that did it even in the 2nd and 5th.
You have to dismantle the rear and take out the engine to change the clutch. In France, it cost me € 900 in parts and € 1,300 in labor

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the comments. I have booked a service for the car next week, hopefully the software update does the trick.

To answer some of the comments:

Car is stock, no upgrades or transmission work ever done.
No oil leaking at all.

As per the $2500, that is to just look at the clutch, which seems very high. That was a quote for just the labor, so in the event it needs a clutch, the bill only climbs from there.

·
Super Moderator
1,252 Posts
Thanks everyone for the comments. I have booked a service for the car next week, hopefully the software update does the trick.

To answer some of the comments:

Car is stock, no upgrades or transmission work ever done.
No oil leaking at all.

As per the $2500, that is to just look at the clutch, which seems very high. That was a quote for just the labor, so in the event it needs a clutch, the bill only climbs from there.
If they end up pulling the clutch, this would be a perfect time to upgrade it.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Good luck to the OP. Slightly off topic, but this is another possible reason that I do not like taking my car to the dealerships. I think most of us know how to treat our twin clutches. Don't back up inclines. Be deliberate as you drive forward. Less engine braking. The last time I took my car to the dealership for it's 2nd service.... I watched in horror as the service person slowly backed the car up. Stop and go. Numerous times. Just slipping the clutch the whole time. I understand he was trying to be careful, but he slipped that clutch more times than I have in almost 3 yrs of ownership.

·
Registered
2016 Spider
88 Posts
Dumb question, what is the sign of clutch slippage? Does it make screaming high pitch noise like manual cars or just stalling and loss of acceleration/power when pushing hard?
I have had the experience of loss of acceleration during some hard acceleration on track or sometimes in the street but now after reading all these not sure if it was clutch slippage or just the traction control kicking in?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts