C'mon 223 members of 4C forum.

5K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  kaliber 
#1 ·
What are your thoughts on 4C, you must be fed up with "Usual Suspects"

Virul :huh

Update 224 "They will Come"

#4 ·
Hi everyone,
Saw the proto in Geneva in 2011 and went absolutely bonkers. When I saw the final version this year, must admit I was a little disappointed - mostly because of the headlights and a few annoying details. But it qiuckly grew back on me and I couldn't resist ordering a red LE which should be delivered by mid-November (finger's crossed!)
Itching to read what the press will say, particularly Autocar, which already mentioned (following a ride at goodwood) that it might 'deserve a more special powertrain and transmission'. For my part, I had the 1750TB on a Giulietta and found it quite raspy and torquey for a 4cylinder but, of course, nowhere near as special as my previous GT's V6, which in IMO remains one of the best 6cylinder engines ever.

#5 ·
Hi everyone,
Saw the proto in Geneva in 2011 and went absolutely bonkers. When I saw the final version this year, must admit I was a little disappointed - mostly because of the headlights and a few annoying details. But it qiuckly grew back on me and I couldn't resist ordering a red LE which should be delivered by mid-November (finger's crossed!)
Itching to read what the press will say, particularly Autocar, which already mentioned (following a ride at goodwood) that it might 'deserve a more special powertrain and transmission'. For my part, I had the 1750TB on a Giulietta and found it quite raspy and torquey for a 4cylinder but, of course, nowhere near as special as my previous GT's V6, which in IMO remains one of the best 6cylinder engines ever.

#6 ·
Topgear said they loved the engine note. Said it sounded like a Porsche 6 cylinder. Car mag said it sounds deep and gruff..

Think Autocar made those comments because when seeing a car like the 4C one would just expect it to have a massive engine..

For me I dont see how they can comment on the transmission when they haven't actually driven it themselves yet. Car for example says the gear changes are fast but not as fast as a Porsche PDK. How do they measure that? With a "butt dyno"? Because they dont have any figures to back up comments like that yet.

Virul you including yourself as one of the usual suspects?

Dreyfuss, agree the Busso V6 has to be one of the best V6 engines ever! My 156GTA's V6 roars away every weekend :)

#7 ·
Nice! Tried a 147 GTA but never the 159...

Another comment that stuck was whether the racing exhaust is necessary. Apparently the sound is gruff enough. But I do like the crackles and pops in some of the videos with the upgrade ;)

As for transmission, agreed that they can't really judge, but you've got to give them benefit of the doubt as they usually seem to know what they're talkin about.

Anyway, as someone else wrote here, I agree that it is often those idiosycratic things about an Alfa that we fall in love with...

Perreby said:
Topgear said they loved the engine note. Said it sounded like a Porsche 6 cylinder. Car mag said it sounds deep and gruff..

Think Autocar made those comments because when seeing a car like the 4C one would just expect it to have a massive engine..

For me I dont see how they can comment on the transmission when they haven't actually driven it themselves yet. Car for example says the gear changes are fast but not as fast as a Porsche PDK. How do they measure that? With a "butt dyno"? Because they dont have any figures to back up comments like that yet.

Dreyfuss, agree the Busso V6 has to be one of the best V6 engines ever! My 156GTA's V6 roars away every weekend :)

#8 ·
Perreby said:

Perreby whats a "Butt Dyno" ??
Virul

#11 ·
simonb said:
Thought the engine note at Goodwood was a bit tame, but apparently that was not the race exhaust. It also did not help that it followed the Exige S which sounded lovely
Only saw the clips and 4c seemed like the tamest of the bunch - Lotus sounded wild!
Yes, it was a non-LE version they showed which didn't have the sport exhausts.

But the question is whether a tame but 'honest' sound is better than an engineered one? From what i gather on the web i can't help but think of the sound of the 500 abarth, and the tailpipes look similar too!

#12 ·
The 4C racing exhaust comes from Magneti, who is responsible for the Monza exhaust on the Abarth 500..

I have a Abarth 500 and the Monza sounds great in the flesh.

Best gauge of the 4C LE sound is the video of the 4C going around the track in Russia!! It sounds proper loud and cracking and popping in that video!!

#13 ·
+1 Perreby.

Guys I think it's completely impossible to really judge the sound of a car from an online vid...especially when you have no idea on how the person was driving and how it was recorded.

From what I understand it should be a relatively similar sort of sound to the Monza exhaust of the Abarth 500 but a lot louder and with cracks and pops. Bear in mind that it has close to 100 hp more than the Abarth...

#14 ·
And the Abarth has a long central exhaust pipe before getting too the Monza back box.. The 4C it's basically from the exhaust manifolds to back box..

Man can't the press day just pitch up so we can get some initial views and vids of the car!!

#22 ·
Perreby said:
Jip.. Also have the Abarth with Monza backbox..

But this has 400cc more of exhaust gasses exiting thru much shorter pipes thanks to the mid engined layout. So suspect it will be a little louder than our Abarths
Totally agree with you (I would really hope and expect it to be much louder!)
At low revs though it seems very similar though...but I think we will really hear the difference at higher revs :)

I supposedly have to wait "only" 3 more months.....:s

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.