Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Earlier today while I was driving the 4C a new Mustang 5.0 pulls up next to me and we both decided to tease each other with acceleration noises. I would give him a piece of my BOV and turbo flutter and in return I would hear his Whipple Supercharger whine like a screaming beast. I suppose you can all guess what happened next. We both go open throttle on the highway and all of sudden I hear the most disappointed noise come from my engine bay, as I get reel-in and passed by the Blue Screaming Beast I try to close the distance and right when reach 12 PSI the noise is there again. What happened next just made my heart pound of my chest. Check engine light. Code 0299. Like WTF!!!! Why right now. Some Mustang owner is going home to his wife and kids a tell a story about the day he beat the Alfa 4c.
I pulled over and cleared the code, then drove the car and nothing, the second I go WOT I watch the Boost guage closely and then it happened again at 12 PSI. The Car is tuned for 20PSI so I have to figure out the Boost leak.

Super Moderator
Sorry to hear. Have you replaced the standard boost hoses with silicon Samco ones or similar? Can鈥檛 be hard to find a split pipe or loose clamp.

Registered
While I was driving the 4C a new Mustang 5.0 pulls up next to me and we both decided to tease each other with acceleration noises. I would give him a peace of my BOV and turbo flutter and in return I would hear his Whipple Supercharger whine like a screaming beast. I suppose you can all guess what happened next. We both go open throttle on the highway and all of sudden I hear the most disappointed noise come from my engine bay, as I get reel-in and passed by the Blue Screaming Beast I try to close the distance and right when reach 12 PSI the noise is there again. What happened nest just made my heart pound of my chest. Check engine light. Code 0299. Like WTF!!!! Why right now. Some Mustang owner is going home to his wife and kids a tell a story about the day he beat the Alfa 4c.
I pulled over and cleared the code, then drove the car and nothing, the second I go WOT I watch the Boost guage closely and then it happened again at 12 PSI. The Car is tuned for 20PSI so I have to figure out the Boost leak.
You're a good writer.

Registered
Probably a loose connection or pipe / hose. Tech authority says the following as possible causes:
LOOSE CONNECTIONS AT THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE OR BOOST PRESSURE SENSOR
SEEPAGE FROM THE AIR DUCT BETWEEN THE TURBOCHARGER AND THROTTLE BODY
WASTEGATE SOLENOID VALVE

Registered
Yeah, I would check your hoses, sounds like a boost leak.
Be sure to check the integrity of the hoses as well to make sure the hose didnt rupture someplace. The hose may stay intact at lower pressures but when distorted at higher pressures, the rupture may leak. Ask me how i know. ;)

Registered
Only time my Saturn Sky on E47 with a Garret Hybrid 2871 Turbo lost to a Corvette was a similar situation, except in my case the High Pressure Fuel Pump in the engine bay died.
Such a sad day.
I still miss that look from the Corvette owners when they realize, they can't beat a Saturn.
LOL

Registered
It is possible the bearing is bad in the turbo. I had one that when it reached a certain RPM, it vibrated and stalled. Eventually the impeller shattered and the pieces went into the engine, doing about 15k damage in 2020 dollars.

Super Moderator
It is possible the bearing is bad in the turbo. I had one that when it reached a certain RPM, it vibrated and stalled. Eventually the impeller shattered and the pieces went into the engine, doing about 15k damage in 2020 dollars.
Thanks for the post. Really sorry to hear of the catastrophe. Any other telltale signs you noticed?

Registered
Your post isn鈥檛 clear whether this was a 4C Engine or not.
Please clarify.

Super Moderator
@Davidrobles2016 , please be sure to give us the rest of the story.
Besides the clamps, check for splits in the hoses - especially the one the traverses the bottom of the engine bay from turbocharger to intercooler ("lower intercooler hose" in the diagram below).
I think that Tallinn had this let go on him. Maybe Call me Al as well. Tallinn's was rodent damage. Call me Al's cause was likely, ur, overboost shall we say? ;)

Registered
2016 Spider
@Davidrobles2016 , please be sure to give us the rest of the story.
Besides the clamps, check for splits in the hoses - especially the one the traverses the bottom of the engine bay from turbocharger to intercooler ("lower intercooler hose" in the diagram below).
I think that Tallinn had this let go on him. Maybe Call me Al as well. Tallinn's was rodent damage. Call me Al's cause was likely, ur, overboost shall we say? ;)
Totally agree with this specially the lower hose! This is what happened to mine, still was intact but the heat shield sleeve was completely torn by rubbing against the rear under body plate, I guess a few more miles of rubbing and boom! Caught it once I was doing my air filter, not sure if it is common as the clamps/mounts for hose were tight the pan was straight and engine mount seemed to be intact so what cause it to wobble around and rub against the plate I guess that is an Alfa thing. Interestingly I dropped my car for oil change like a month before or so and dealership did not say a thing nor fix the problem, I doubt if they missed it as it is the lower part of hose, very visible and of course the damage did not happen in a month so they just ignored it for sure!
took the car to get it covered for warranty and they said it happens often and they have seen it before, who knows!

Super Moderator
Totally agree with this specially the lower hose! This is what happened to mine, still was intact but the heat shield sleeve was completely torn by rubbing against the rear under body plate, I guess a few more miles of rubbing and boom! Caught it once I was doing my air filter, not sure if it is common as the clamps/mounts for hose were tight the pan was straight and engine mount seemed to be intact so what cause it to wobble around and rub against the plate I guess that is an Alfa thing. Interestingly I dropped my car for oil change like a month before or so and dealership did not say a thing nor fix the problem, I doubt if they missed it as it is the lower part of hose, very visible and of course the damage did not happen in a month so they just ignored it for sure!
took the car to get it covered for warranty and they said it happens often and they have seen it before, who knows!
View attachment 106907
I have to say, though, that this area is particularly well wrapped/protected.
There is that white cover (which I believe is sacrificial and only there to prevent the aluminum sleeve from rattling), the aluminum sleeve under that, then another plastic-y sleeve under the aluminum, and finally the rubber hose below all of that.

Oh, and don't try to ever move the plastic Chinese-finger-torture thing around on the rubber hose (let alone take it off and expect to put it back on and the aluminum sleeve overtop again). Ask me how I know! LOL You have to kind of "push" it along, as pulling it tightens its grip on the pipe considerably.

Registered
I think it's probably the wastegate that is stuck in the open position. Solenoid must be bad since the speed of the turbo is regulated the wastegate that opens to allow exhaust to bypass the turbo, thus slowing it down, or vice-versa. The wastegate is pneumatically actuated and electronically controlled. That means the ECU decides where to position the wastegate based on the desired boost level and then uses air pressure to move it.

Registered
2016 Spider
I have to say, though, that this area is particularly well wrapped/protected.
There is that white cover (which I believe is sacrificial and only there to prevent the aluminum sleeve from rattling), the aluminum sleeve under that, then another plastic-y sleeve under the aluminum, and finally the rubber hose below all of that.

Oh, and don't try to ever move the plastic Chinese-finger-torture thing around on the rubber hose (let alone take it off and expect to put it back on and the aluminum sleeve overtop again). Ask me how I know! LOL You have to kind of "push" it along, as pulling it tightens its grip on the pipe considerably.
But the question is have you guys noticed the same type of wear on that area? I have some miles on the car to be exact about 25k miles so it is not a super low mileage car but I still could not figure out why it should rub against the under body plate. If it happened before means it will happen again so it is good to find the cause and eliminate it.

Registered
My 2018 4C with 3000 miles has a little wear on that area. Some owners have modified the the under panel by prying a little the panel to move it away.

Super Moderator
Some pix of mine. Peeled back so you can see all of the layers. Much of this is thermal protection as the downpipe / cat is in the crook of that bend.

Here's the undertray where you can see a shiny spot where it rubs.

Even the silocone one shows a mark after 100Km

But I was able to adjust it to clear.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts