Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Unfortunately my car just threw a CEL, read the codes and came up a P01481 "Fan 2 Control Circuit".

My car's transmission is now pushing me out of gear sometimes and is stuck in limp mode. Gears 1,2,3 have no problems.

Gears 4,5,6 are throwing me out into neutral and a temporary "cannot select gear" state at times. Seems electrical rather than mechanical.

Anyone had this exact code before?

My car is a LE #305 and by all accounts I do not believe it ever got that early TCU and ECU updates. Perhaps this is the problem? Though this seems like a unique code as I have not seen other mention it.

I tried clearing the code to no avail, CEL persists.... Any advice or help would be appreciated before I take it in for repair.

Thanks,

Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
3,260 Posts

This code does fall under the Chrysler Plymouth code range and is specific for only some mfgrs, so that is good news, because it would indicate an actual fan/cooling issue and not a transmission issue.

Address the fan issue, but insist on a TCM update as well.

At this point, play stupid and follow the code/fix. Doing so clears the biggest variable.

Pre-work: please tell us you have a newer/fresher battery and it's kept on a tender when not in regular weekly use. 2015 and 2016 issues are going to flood these boards soon as batteries trail off from age.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

This code does fall under the Chrysler Plymouth code range and is specific for only some mfgrs, so that is good news, because it would indicate an actual fan/cooling issue and not a transmission issue.

At this point, play stupid and follow the code/fix. Doing so clears the biggest variable.

Pre-work: please tell us you have a newer/fresher battery and it's kept on a tender when not in regular weekly use. 2015 and 2016 issues are going to flood these boards soon as batteries trail off from age.
Thank you for your insight Philster,

I daily drive it so it usually not on the tender. I was going to order a new battery soon so I might as well replace that preemptively as well.

In case others are wondering, the car has had no other problems until now; it's been quite bulletproof.

I will also follow your advice and insist on the TCM update - it's a bit of a ticking time bomb as it is.

I will update this thread once I get it repaired and to provide some more detail for others who might encounter this same issue.

Regards,

Greg

·
Registered
23 Posts

Is the engine over heating?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Anyone got the TechAuthority Service manual 😉 that can look up the code in the DTC section?

if not, i will look it up tomorrow morning when i get to my laptop where the CD resides.

Reactions: gguimarais

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
It's obviously an old description for the code, as fan clutches aren't a thing, but there is some electrical hiccup to trace related to some accessory (electric fan, its ground, or some other sensor). The problem is we're no longer dealing with merely simple or complicated relationships between all sensors. It's officially complex, meaning we can't just say ''code x always means this'' . Battery issues that lead to electrical gremlins are the first variables to clear. Then it might require working down from the most likely things that throw this code, and we generally don't have that knowledge.

Here's something more Alfa specific from a modern Alfa ECM: P1481 Engine Diagnostic Code For 2017 Alfa Romeo 159 | EngineDiagnosticCode.com

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's obviously an old description for the code, as fan clutches aren't a thing, but there is some electrical hiccup to trace related to some accessory (electric fan, its ground, or some other sensor). The problem is we're no longer dealing with merely simple or complicated relationships between all sensors. It's officially complex, meaning we can't just say ''code x always means this'' . Battery issues that lead to electrical gremlins are the first variables to clear. Then it might require working down from the most likely things that throw this code, and we generally don't have that knowledge.

Here's something more Alfa specific from a modern Alfa ECM: P1481 Engine Diagnostic Code For 2017 Alfa Romeo 159 | EngineDiagnosticCode.com
I'm probably going to tell my mechanic to replace the battery first (I will still insist on the TCM update). I have a funny feeling it is battery related as well. I will take it in this weekend, until then the Miata it is!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm probably going to tell my mechanic to replace the battery first (I will still insist on the TCM update). I have a funny feeling it is battery related as well. I will take it in this weekend, until then the Miata it is!
If it is the radiator fan, i have a simple test i use for any car,

1. start car from cold
2. Watch your temperature gauge and it gets to
You normal driving temperature, go outside to the front and while the AC is off, listen to the fan come on. It should before it gets to 3/4 of the total gauge read out. If it doesn’t then you have a bad fan. If it does then the PCM, if the battery is very well charged, has not sent you the correct code for the problem your car is having. Coolant fan is a very important item in any car, so if not running, it must be replaced, if the controls to it, not working problem, like the pcm or temperature sensor they must be also replaced.

3- in most cars, it is important to take into account when troubleshooting that the AC in its ON state, automatically turns on the fans.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If it is the radiator fan, i have a simple test i use for any car,

1. start car from cold
2. Watch your temperature gauge and it gets to
You normal driving temperature, go outside to the front and while the AC is off, listen to the fan come on. It should before it gets to 3/4 of the total gauge read out. If it doesn’t then you have a bad fan. If it does then the PCM, if the battery is very well charged, has not sent you the correct code for the problem your car is having. Coolant fan is a very important item in any car, so if not running, it must be replaced, if the controls to it, not working problem, like the pcm or temperature sensor they must be also replaced.

3- in most cars, it is important to take into account when troubleshooting that the AC in its ON state, automatically turns on the fans.
Did you do this, what did you find out? Did you hear fans when the AC is on? And went off when you turned them off? What happened?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Here’s what I found….
1. I dont know if you recently removed ECU but it says to check harness plugs on ECU. So maybe try reseating plugs?
2. Could be bad cooling fan harness or wiring. You will have to remove front underbody panel to expose radiator and fans to check plugs. I posted picture of harness plugs for cooling fans.
Hope this helps…

Reactions: Alfanut

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here’s what I found….
1. I dont know if you recently removed ECU but it says to check harness plugs on ECU. So maybe try reseating plugs?
2. Could be bad cooling fan harness or wiring. You will have to remove front underbody panel to expose radiator and fans to check plugs. I posted picture of harness plugs for cooling fans.
Hope this helps…

Thanks for the info, I wish I had a jack so I could do this myself. I reseated the ECU to no avail. I should be able to take it into the mechanic finally tomorrow so I will relay this info to him.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
If they have the WiTech at the Service Department, they can run advanced diagnostics based on the DTC and try to isolate the problem.

Reactions: gguimarais

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you do this, what did you find out? Did you hear fans when the AC is on? And went off when you turned them off? What happened?
I started the car with AC off, waited until engine reached just below normal driving temps, then checked to hear a fan, which I am pretty sure I did (sounded maybe a little clunky, definitely not as smooth as I would have thought so maybe it is a bad fan) though the engine noise made it difficult to discern with any absolute certainty. Let me know if I fucked this up somehow. Thanks for your suggestion

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If they have the WiTech at the Service Department, they can run advanced diagnostics based on the DTC and try to isolate the problem.
I appreciate your input, I will update again once I've taken it to the shop and progress has been made. Items I need to check off in order of priority:

New Battery
TCM Update
Fan Harness/Plugs
Fan
PCM and/or Temp sensor

1 - 16 of 16 Posts