Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These holes don’t perfectly line up. KW checked and my kit is 100% correct.
Is it ok to force them to line up?

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
I know nothing about the kit you are installing or whether or not it is ok to force it to line up. However, in the photo I can see a larger circle around the actual hole that you are trying to line up. The hole is not centered, is that correct? Is it the same on the opposite side? The reason I ask is that it looks like it would be a closer fit if the hole was centered in the outer ring.

You can also elongate the hole if you think the part is going to be stressed by forcing it..

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, we compared them to drawings from KW and those holes are in the wrong place. KW admit the error and are sending replacements from Germany.

This aside the coilovers seem really well made and the front ones went on easily.
I would just get this checked if you are thinking about buying these.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Strange, a forum member just installed these no problem and then you have your issue.
I have a set sitting in my garage. How would I know if something is wrong?

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Strange, a forum member just installed these no problem and then you have your issue.
I have a set sitting in my garage. How would I know if something is wrong?
Do what we did, If the holes don’t line up, compare the parts to the KW technical drawings. We got them from KW uk.
There’s nothing strange about this being an isolated incident either. KW coilovers for our application are made to order, not on a production run so errors aren’t likely to be duplicated across batches.

That said, the error may have been saved in a CNC file that is used on every build.
Perhaps others just got a bar and forced the holes to align? The holes are only 5mm off (exactly, both sides) on mine according to KW Germany.
Anyway, my replacements will be correct and line up properly unstressed.

·
Super Moderator
9,037 Posts
Do what we did, If the holes don’t line up, compare the parts to the KW technical drawings. We got them from KW uk.
There’s nothing strange about this being an isolated incident either. KW coilovers for our application are made to order, not on a production run so errors aren’t likely to be duplicated across batches.

That said, the error may have been saved in a CNC file that is used on every build.
Perhaps others just got a bar and forced the holes to align? The holes are only 5mm off (exactly, both sides) on mine according to KW Germany.
Anyway, my replacements will be correct and line up properly unstressed.
Thanks, Floro. Your effort here will surely save a few headaches for others down the track. (y)

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Multiple dimensions being out must account for it I guess. A couple of MM here and a few degree off there etc.

KW have seen pictures, agree and are replacing them urgently but if yours seem fine to you, no worries.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Who was that? Their input might shed more light.

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so the first question is did your bolts holes line up without effort or did you have to make them line up with force?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had this issue with my KW's. I forced them on. At the time it seemed like the angle on the top mount was slightly off.

·
Registered
299 Posts
3 years no issues.
I have a feeling that might be the play. This is the 4th set of coils I will install and usually there is always some issue like this. I believe a lot of it has to do with what was bolted down first and where the Hub is at.

For the rear did you bolt in the top or bottom first?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bolted the top first. I believe I ended up filing the bolt to a pointed head to get it through with a hammer, then ran a die over it to clean the threads. The bolt was pretty long there are plenty of threads to work with.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts