Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Shocks are available in full kits from Squadra.

I haven’t received any comms since the 9th of March from Squadra. No ETA, no response.

I’m very frustrated and disappointed right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,037 Posts
Shocks are available in full kits from Squadra.

I haven’t received any comms since the 9th of March from Squadra. No ETA, no response.

I’m very frustrated and disappointed right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’d emailing them regularly. Thanks for reporting back. This was not your fault and I feel for your situation, Andrew. It’s very disappointing. It makes me hesitant to order a set of B16 Bilsteins from them if I think I might not get the after sales service I expect, as do you. I hope they respond in a positive fashion soon. And yes, as a road/track compromise set of dampers, I was leaning towards those.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Jim, for the mullah you going to spend on the bilsteins spend a little more and go the 3 way nitrons. Will be heaps easier to adjust to though more complicated to get right to your style of driving.
For me it is a guessing game with adjustment on the novitec (kw)as they clicks are not numbered.
A lot of f....... around with a long Allen key memorising the turns but handling is another level after trial and error.
The rears now are stiff like a black mans cock.
Ride is hard but I can live with that. The 4C was not designed for comfort.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I’d emailing them regularly. Thanks for reporting back. This was not your fault and I feel for your situation, Andrew. It’s very disappointing. It makes me hesitant to order a set of B16 Bilsteins from them if I think I might not get the after sales service I expect, as do you. I hope they respond in a positive fashion soon. And yes, as a road/track compromise set of dampers, I was leaning towards those.
Also still not got an answer from them (Wheels). It's more then a month ago...:(

·
Super Moderator
9,037 Posts
The
Jim, for the mullah you going to spend on the bilsteins spend a little more and go the 3 way nitrons. Will be heaps easier to adjust to though more complicated to get right to your style of driving.
For me it is a guessing game with adjustment on the novitec (kw)as they clicks are not numbered.
A lot of f....... around with a long Allen key memorising the turns but handling is another level after trial and error.
The rears now are stiff like a black mans cock.
Ride is hard but I can live with that. The 4C was not designed for comfort.
Hi Mark, Nitrons were my other choice but I'm wanting something I can go quickly from road to track (with semi-slicks not hard-core slicks) that can be consistent for 20 minute sessions and then be adjusted easily back to road ...I think the R3's might be overkill. I like the compliant feel of the Sport set-up of our 4Cs for the roads on which I spend most of my time in the 4C and don't want to spoil that side of things. Still thinking. If you remember the way Larry Perkins set up his Commodores...always looser than the others but still effective. My LM MkV is set up like that too for blasts up the Putty. Dampers still control the springs for the roadspeeds and conditions travelled. I remember Call me Al was pretty happy with the Bilsteins before he went for slicks. I just live in fear of ruining the road compliance when going to coil-overs. I'm more confident I won't with the Bilsteins....But this is acp's thread...Sorry for the hijack, Andrew.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The compliance is better with coilovers even with springs twice as hard because the damping is far more sophisticated. The standard setup is way overdamped, hence why going over potholes is horrendous but it feels compliant just bumbling about. If you went to KW v2 or Novitec Yellows you would get better comfort. Novitec black is about the same comfort as standard but significantly stiffer in resisting roll and dive.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
There has been some further communication, but still no eta.

Squadra appears to be of the opinion that there is no urgency and no risk around the shock.

I disagree with the above.

My other vehicle returns today and the 4c will be placed in the garage and not used until the replacement is installed. For me, the potential consequences of another shock failure are significant. I don’t want to place additional risk on myself, the vehicle and other road users.

·
Super Moderator
9,037 Posts
There has been some further communication, but still no eta.

Squadra appears to be of the opinion that there is no urgency and no risk around the shock.

I disagree with the above.

My other vehicle returns today and the 4c will be placed in the garage and not used until the replacement is installed. For me, the potential consequences of another shock failure are significant. I don’t want to place additional risk on myself, the vehicle and other road users.
At least that’s some positive news. Keep us updated.

·
Super Moderator
9,037 Posts
The compliance is better with coilovers even with springs twice as hard because the damping is far more sophisticated. The standard setup is way overdamped, hence why going over potholes is horrendous but it feels compliant just bumbling about. If you went to KW v2 or Novitec Yellows you would get better comfort. Novitec black is about the same comfort as standard but significantly stiffer in resisting roll and dive.
But how readily adjustable trackside (without lifting) are they?

·
Registered
228 Posts
But how readily adjustable trackside (without lifting) are they?
You need to lift it to change them (the KW, Novitecs and Nitrons). Only Bilsteins can be done without lifting by reaching under the car and twisting the knob.

It's not an issue though to be honest. Only rebound is adjustable on KW and Novitec so there isn't that much benefit in changing it for the track. On a GP track it's so smooth the rebound doesn't matter much. On tracks with aggressive kerbs, you'll just end up running the same setting you would on the road anyway otherwise you'd be unsettling the car.

·
Super Moderator
9,037 Posts
You need to lift it to change them (the KW, Novitecs and Nitrons). Only Bilsteins can be done without lifting by reaching under the car and twisting the knob.

It's not an issue though to be honest. Only rebound is adjustable on KW and Novitec so there isn't that much benefit in changing it for the track. On a GP track it's so smooth the rebound doesn't matter much. On tracks with aggressive kerbs, you'll just end up running the same setting you would on the road anyway otherwise you'd be unsettling the car.
That’s what I thought. Thanks.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I just live in fear of ruining the road compliance when going to coil-overs.
This is a myth. I don’t know where it came from, maybe slammed 90s Honda’s or something something racecar? I remember guys on the commodore forum hand wringing and saying the same thing- needless to say coilovers transformed my commodore as they did on the mx5- I’ve had 3 sets of coilovers- one low end (BC), one high end (Ohlins) and one mid range (H&R) on two different cars (commodore and mx5) and in all cases the ride and handling has been far better than stock to the point that passengers ive had in both cars, without prompting, have specifically mentioned how good the ride is, and these are hardly car enthusiasts. I don’t think it would be any different on the 4C.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
This is a myth. I don’t know where it came from, maybe slammed 90s Honda’s or something something racecar? I remember guys on the commodore forum hand wringing and saying the same thing- needless to say coilovers transformed my commodore as they did on the mx5- I’ve had 3 sets of coilovers- one low end (BC), one high end (Ohlins) and one mid range (H&R) on two different cars (commodore and mx5) and in all cases the ride and handling has been far better than stock to the point that passengers ive had in both cars, without prompting, have specifically mentioned how good the ride is, and these are hardly car enthusiasts. I don’t think it would be any different on the 4C.
Although my OEM race suspension on the 4C is currently fine, historically:
MINI r56 JCW -> KW v2 (REQUIRED and Awesome!!)
C32 AMG -> PSS9 (slightly required BUT Awesome)
2002 911 Targa -> PSS9 (MOST definitely REQUIRED and then became a 's'port car vs touring)
e46 M3 Convertible -> PSS9 (slightly required BUT Awesome)
Note: earlier generations of MINI JCWs reqd NO coilovers imho.

·
Super Moderator
9,037 Posts
This is a myth. I don’t know where it came from, maybe slammed 90s Honda’s or something something racecar? I remember guys on the commodore forum hand wringing and saying the same thing- needless to say coilovers transformed my commodore as they did on the mx5- I’ve had 3 sets of coilovers- one low end (BC), one high end (Ohlins) and one mid range (H&R)
Maybe poorly selected spring rates?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
guys can I suggest starting another thread for discussion around the other shocks etc.

As an update Squadra is not willing to split a set of shocks... and apparently its Less than helpful me posting these facts here.

Ap

·
Super Moderator
16,535 Posts
guys can I suggest starting another thread for discussion around the other shocks etc.

As an update Squadra is not willing to split a set of shocks... and apparently its Less than helpful me posting these facts here.

Ap
Seems to me that if you don’t keep them honest, you’ll get nowhere.

·
Registered
257 Posts

Ap
Sorry in advance for me getting upset but why should he? This is a totally unrealistic expectation from you. The set wasn’t even bought from Squadra Sportiva. In my opinion it is the workshops fault! Nevertheless Andre’ ordered a new shock for you from his own money and you are not even his customer! KW hasn’t delivered yet. What the hell is his fault on that? Who on earth would take out a shock from a full suspension package and create a mix for the next customer out of different productions. If anything is wrong with those you really created a mess nobody can overview. Why are you not asking that hard your seller, who earned the money on selling these to you? If you want to be aggressive be aggressive against him. Why can’t he order a suspension set and rip it apart in order to give one shock absorber to you?

I know you are upset because you can’t drive your car but that is not true! You are just too afraid to drive it and you also don’t want to put the OEM shocks back in as I understand it. A screw came loose. It has been tightened and secured as I understood. What’s the big deal on that?

Please stop writing this biased comments just because things are not working in the real world as you might have wished. If I were Andre’ and I will read this, I would probably rethink if this is really my problem and if it is worth spending my money on this if all I get is beat!

@4Canada: To be honest I wouldn’t consider buying the Bilstein at all. It is not a works suspension kit delivered from Bilstein. It is a modified Bilstein suspension. If something similar would happen with that suspension the solution of this case seems to be a “Kindergeburtstag” as we say in Germany

best regards

Alex

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Alex,
you are entitled to your opinion.

I disagree with them on a number of fronts.

fwiw The OEM shocks aren’t available, I can’t simply drop a set in, as I don’t have them. I can possibly get one for the corner, but that is only corner, not a set of four.

The thread on the shock shaft is damaged and is retained by a reduced number of threads... furthermore those threads are damaged. the Loctite will stop if from loosening, but won’t stop the threads from failure. if the shaft is pulled down due to a sudden unload of the rear suspension, the shaft may pull out again, that is where the risk is.

I was very very lucky the first time this happened, it was a straight stretch of road minimal traffic and a place to pull over... if It happened elsewhere it could have resulted in the loss of the vehicle, other vehicles and possibly involved significant injuries... especially if it occurred on a racetrack at speed whilst driving in close quarters with others, which is one of the reasons I have this car.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts