Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Alex,
you are entitled to your opinion.

I disagree with them on a number of fronts.

fwiw The OEM shocks aren’t available, I can’t simply drop a set in, as I don’t have them. I can possibly get one for the corner, but that is only corner, not a set of four.

The thread on the shock shaft is damaged and is retained by a reduced number of threads... furthermore those threads are damaged. the Loctite will stop if from loosening, but won’t stop the threads from failure. if the shaft is pulled down due to a sudden unload of the rear suspension, the shaft may pull out again, that is where the risk is.

I was very very lucky the first time this happened, it was a straight stretch of road minimal traffic and a place to pull over... if It happened elsewhere it could have resulted in the loss of the vehicle, other vehicles and possibly involved significant injuries... especially if it occurred on a racetrack at speed whilst driving in close quarters with others, which is one of the reasons I have this car.
Okay, I understand!

But as you will get a new shock anyway and nobody is questioning the failure and you don’t have to send it back what normally is the case, you are free to modify it in the meantime to any spec you want in order to secure the nut. So recutting treads even to a smaller scale or securing the nut with a couple of welding points from falling off is allowed and possible. Every other thinkable solution in order to be able to drive in the meantime by the way too. I probably would have gone that way.

I wasn’t aware that you don’t own the original suspension anymore. I always keep all original parts just in case I want to rebuild to stock in the future.

Like I wrote in my first sentence. Sorry for me getting upset in my last reply. But I still can’t see any kind of wrongdoing or wasting time from Squadra Sportiva. If the manufacturer KW will not deliver there is nothing they can do. Ripping apart an existing suspension set and take out one shock is not an option. It is an unrealistic expectation. Nobody would do that for good reason.

Best regards

Alex

·
Super Moderator
9,375 Posts
Okay, I understand!

But as you will get a new shock anyway and nobody is questioning the failure and you don’t have to send it back what normally is the case, you are free to modify it in the meantime to any spec you want in order to secure the nut. So recutting treads even to a smaller scale or securing the nut with a couple of welding points from falling off is allowed and possible. Every other thinkable solution in order to be able to drive in the meantime by the way too. I probably would have gone that way.

I wasn’t aware that you don’t own the original suspension anymore. I always keep all original parts just in case I want to rebuild to stock in the future.

Like I wrote in my first sentence. Sorry for me getting upset in my last reply. But I still can’t see any kind of wrongdoing or wasting time from Squadra Sportiva. If the manufacturer KW will not deliver there is nothing they can do. Ripping apart an existing suspension set and take out one shock is not an option. It is an unrealistic expectation. Nobody would do that for good reason.

Best regards

Alex
I don’t know why a company such as KW wouldn’t set aside a few single dampers for just such a claim. Surely things aren’t that tight! It would be so much better for customer relations and Squadra wouldn’t be caught in the middle of it all. We are talking business models, not immutable laws of nature.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I don’t know why a company such as KW wouldn’t set aside a few single dampers for just such a claim. Surely things aren’t that tight! It would be so much better for customer relations and Squadra wouldn’t be caught in the middle of it all. We are talking business models, not immutable laws of nature.
That is something you might ask KW but as they sell thousands of different applications and nobody keeps a big stock anymore I think I kind of know the answer. It is wishful thinking to expect that. No manufacturer of coilovers does it. On top of that this is probably such a rare thing to happen that they don’t even think about that...

Business changed a lot during the last decade. Nearly nobody keeps a big stock anymore. Everything is ment to be just in time or by order. We might want it to be different but thats the reality!

·
Super Moderator
9,375 Posts
That is something you might ask KW but as they sell thousands of different applications and nobody keeps a big stock anymore I think I kind of know the answer. It is wishful thinking to expect that. No manufacturer of coilovers does it. On top of that this is probably such a rare thing to happen that they don’t even think about that...

Business changed a lot during the last decade. Nearly nobody keeps a big stock anymore. Everything is ment to be just in time or by order. We might want it to be different but thats the reality!
Tell me about it. Just have a look at my check engine light thread that highlights this business philosophy.
Check engine light

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Okay, I understand!

Best regards

Alex
I have done everything I can to secure the shock. I have considered putting a limit strap in place, like some of the other Alfa’s, but that requires engineering and frankly is just another band aid.

There Are really only three options:
1. Run the vehicle as is and accept the risk of a catastrophic failure.
2. Replace the single shock with another one of the same type
3. Replace all the shocks with another set

I have been offered, kindly, by Squadra, a replacement shock... unfortunately it hasn’t arrived and there is no ETA.
This is damaging the reputation and confidence in the product and companies involved. I’m not the cause of this.

·
Super Moderator
9,375 Posts
I have done everything I can to secure the shock. I have considered putting a limit strap in place, like some of the other Alfa’s, but that requires engineering and frankly is just another band aid.

I have been offered, kindly, by Squadra, a replacement shock... unfortunately it hasn’t arrived and there is no ETA.
This is damaging the reputation and confidence in the product and companies involved. I’m not the cause of this.
Just have patience, Andrew. I’m sure Andre will come through for you. He’s found stuff for me so don’t despair. I’ve got a now five week wait for a warranty fix for my Giulietta that FCA should have parts in stock for. That’s if the part arrives at the scheduled time. Frustration all ‘round.

·
Registered
281 Posts

I don’t want to sound funny but running the vehicle as it is and accept the risk of a catastrophic failure is something you already accepted when you bought an Alfa Romeo, especially if you bought a 4C! 😉😂

For me it is important that we are fair among us in this forum. Reading your tread could cause unfair estimations at others who don’t have all the information. Personally I feel sorry for you and I can understand your disappointment. On the other hand you are again mentioning the reputation of involved companies and leave the rest to the reader. What exactly is the totally unusual thing here? It might not be helpful for you and we all wish it would be different but not having things on stock and not reacting quickly to a single production of a niche product is totally common to nearly all bigger companies. You are implying this would be different at any other big company. It is not! Do you think you would have got a better reaction at Ohlins or others? Thats a totally unrealistic estimation of what’s currently going on in big companies.

It would be nice if you’d say clearly that at least Squadra Sportiva did what they can to help you and that it is not their fault if KW isn’t able to deliver a replacement shock that has been
ordered weeks ago.

You also never told the readers here that you didn’t bought the shocks at Squadra Sportiva. Your set was initially sold to an English company. It is unclear if you bought it from them or maybe used from somebody else. If you have a problem with a product you normally have to go back the whole distribution-chain. You contract partner is the one who sold it to you if you didn’t bought it directly from the manufacturer. The distributor normally has to start a warranty claim at the producing company or his supplier.
So if André now jumps in directly, I think that’s more than nice from him.

You can blame KW or the industry in general for not being very responding to single customer issues of niche products but then please address your eligible critics in a way everybody understands who is meant and why. And if because of this others get a wrong impression of persons like Andre or companies like Squadra Sportiva, Yes I think that is kind of your fault. And that happened! Why would somebody write he is rethinking his possible purchase because he is afraid of getting no support if he gets a problem if not because he got the impression he is dealing with a bad company...

I know you are frustrated.
I know there is not much you can do.
I know not having an ETA sucks
I wish it would be different.
I wish you would have been able to drive your car weeks ago.
But I had to step in here as this seems to blame the wrong person.

best regards
Alex

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Simply put... I have gone through the distribution chain, back from the workshop who bought the shocks and installed them, through the reseller who sold the shocks to the workshop, through to Squadra(Squadra Sportiva).

After some effort Squadra have requested I deal directly with them.

That was back on the 2nd of February, on the 19th of February, I was kindly, and generously, informed that a replacement would be sent from Squadra.

The fact remains, no ETA is available for the replacement shock.

This is uncomfortable for all involved, but they are the cold hard facts.

Alex,

Please be very careful around your responses. Unfortunately you don’t have the facts, and I feel you have fired more than once from the hip, and gotten it wrong. Let’s just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Sincerely,
Andrew

·
Registered
281 Posts
Simply put... I have gone through the distribution chain, back from the workshop who bought the shocks and installed them, through the reseller who sold the shocks to the workshop, through to Squadra(Squadra Sportiva).

After some effort Squadra have requested I deal directly with them.

That was back on the 2nd of February, on the 19th of February, I was kindly, and generously, informed that a replacement would be sent from Squadra.

The fact remains, no ETA is available for the replacement shock.

This is uncomfortable for all involved, but they are the cold hard facts.

Alex,

Please be very careful around your responses. Unfortunately you don’t have the facts, and I feel you have fired more than once from the hip, and gotten it wrong. Let’s just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Sincerely,
Andrew
Dear Andrew,

I think I was very careful with my latest response and I don’t see a single thing that is dishonest, guessing or untrue in what I wrote. Maybe the joke I made at the beginning...

Going through the distribution chain doesn’t mean you have to do that because that would be too much to ask. Normally you contact your contract partner (selling company) and he has to take care of this with his contract partner. This didn’t happen as far as I know. Neither the workshop nor the reseller that Squadra Sportiva sold the suspension to, took any action. You had to do it. That is at least what I know from Andre when I asked him what is going on here. I might have gotten a wrong information but I miss a word about their obvious wrongdoing in leaving you alone with that... I am on your side! I think what happened to you is terrible! But I also know that delivery times to 12 weeks and more are common in Motorsport or related topics.

I agree in disagreeing about how to handle this and how to share informations with the audience of this forum. This whole thing is not common at all. I stick to my personal view that it is not Squadra Sportivas fault that you still not have a replacement shock. They ordered one in time and the rest is not in their hands.

but that’s enough of personal comments from me. I think everything is said. All facts are on the table and everybody can decide whatever he thinks is right now.

I personally hope that you are back on the street soon!

best regards

Alex

·
Super Moderator
9,375 Posts
I don’t want to sound funny but running the vehicle as it is and accept the risk of a catastrophic failure is something you already accepted when you bought an Alfa Romeo, especially if you bought a 4C! 😉😂

For me it is important that we are fair among us in this forum. Reading your tread could cause unfair estimations at others who don’t have all the information. Personally I feel sorry for you and I can understand your disappointment. On the other hand you are again mentioning the reputation of involved companies and leave the rest to the reader. What exactly is the totally unusual thing here? It might not be helpful for you and we all wish it would be different but not having things on stock and not reacting quickly to a single production of a niche product is totally common to nearly all bigger companies. You are implying this would be different at any other big company. It is not! Do you think you would have got a better reaction at Ohlins or others? Thats a totally unrealistic estimation of what’s currently going on in big companies.

It would be nice if you’d say clearly that at least Squadra Sportiva did what they can to help you and that it is not their fault if KW isn’t able to deliver a replacement shock that has been
ordered weeks ago.

You also never told the readers here that you didn’t bought the shocks at Squadra Sportiva. Your set was initially sold to an English company. It is unclear if you bought it from them or maybe used from somebody else. If you have a problem with a product you normally have to go back the whole distribution-chain. You contract partner is the one who sold it to you if you didn’t bought it directly from the manufacturer. The distributor normally has to start a warranty claim at the producing company or his supplier.
So if André now jumps in directly, I think that’s more than nice from him.

You can blame KW or the industry in general for not being very responding to single customer issues of niche products but then please address your eligible critics in a way everybody understands who is meant and why. And if because of this others get a wrong impression of persons like Andre or companies like Squadra Sportiva, Yes I think that is kind of your fault. And that happened! Why would somebody write he is rethinking his possible purchase because he is afraid of getting no support if he gets a problem if not because he got the impression he is dealing with a bad company...

I know you are frustrated.
I know there is not much you can do.
I know not having an ETA sucks
I wish it would be different.
I wish you would have been able to drive your car weeks ago.
But I had to step in here as this seems to blame the wrong person.

best regards
Alex
Alex, have you been requested by someone else to respond to this thread or do you feel some kind of personal loyalty to the company in question because you’ve invested an awful lot of time in it? All we are talking about is one lousy damper and no, he’s not been unfairly criticising the company. If these companies have a policy that single dampers can’t be replaced under warranty then supply two. It’s not as though supplying one or two dampers for a warranty claim is going to bankrupt either company. Nothing yet of any substance has occurred in the satisfactory resolution of this problem and acp is rightly frustrated by the apparent inaction. Is his claim being treated as some kind of massive favour to resolve? It shouldn’t be. There are no immutable laws of physics trying to be broken here, it’s just a single damper that should be replaced. As he says, and I believe him, he’s gone back through the supply chain. And yes, I’ve purchased many things from Squadra over the years and been very happy with everything they’ve supplied, even including the six month wait for an engine cover that went missing, but have never had to make a warranty claim. acp’s experience has me thinking. Nothing unreasonable about that. If production has ceased for a while and a damper is unavailable then that needs to be explained...Other than that, I can’t see any difficulty in resolving this. Maybe it’s a cultural thing and we in Oz have a different expectation in such cases.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I stepped in because I had the feeling this is not fair. Andre is my friend. If i have the feeling one of my friends is not treated fair, I will step in without counting the minutes or words I have to invest. I will do this for all my friends! Hopefully they do the same for me in a similar situation... 🤷🏻‍♂️

I totally disagree about delivering two dampers. It will take the same amount of time to make them.

but enough talking. I think nearly everything has been said...

·
Super Moderator
9,375 Posts
I stepped in because I had the feeling this is not fair. Andre is my friend. If i have the feeling one of my friends is not treated fair, I will step in without counting the minutes or words I have to invest. I will do this for all my friends! Hopefully they do the same for me in a similar situation... 🤷🏻‍♂️

I totally disagree about delivering two dampers. It will take the same amount of time to make them.

but enough talking. I think nearly everything has been said...
Same here. Acp is my friend also. Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
9,375 Posts
Still nothing.
Guess from where and what brand of coil-over I won’t be buying. Something that simple and, in the scheme of things, relatively inexpensive should not be difficult for any of these companies to offer a replacement. I won’t be heading down to the establishment that fitted them too. Really sorry to hear your saga continues acp. It’s a relatively small but very interconnected Alfa world down here. You should have bought them from Bunnings or Woollies, acp. ;) At least they offer hassle-free return of goods. :confused:

81 - 94 of 94 Posts