Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I got the fronts lower, probably as low as I want to go, but I've put the rears only about 3 threads from the bottom and it's still higher than stock. Hopefully it settles down over the coming weeks

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Did my first drives out with the Novitecs today.. wow what a transformation. Really REALLY impressed with them. Crashy suspension especially over rough roads and potholes was my number one complaint with this car and these deal with it so much better. Far less shock gets transmitted into the tub (and your body). I tried two settings, firstly one with the dampers towards soft and then with the dampers at almost full hard. The near full hard setting was the closest to the feeling of stock (but still better). I'll probably settle somewhere between the two settings I tried today. This was at roughly stock ride height (for now whilst I wait for the springs to settle down).

·
Registered
35 Posts
That’s great to hear. Gonna have an alignment on mine this week and hope to get a good drive over the weekend.
Were you able to make adjustments with wheels on?

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
I think you missed the point where I said they are way off according to dimensions on KW drawings. KW saw them and agreed they are wrong. I don’t know if yours were as badly made and neither do you because you haven’t checked. You just forced yours on, great, well done you but professionals like those I have work on my car don’t force defective parts onto customers cars.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
I think you missed the point where I said they are way off according to dimensions on KW drawings. KW saw them and agreed they are wrong. I don’t know if yours were as badly made and neither do you because you haven’t checked. You just forced yours on, great, well done you but professionals like those I have work on my car don’t force defective parts onto customers cars.
What's your problem?

I had to "force" the hub into the perfect position between the middle and bottom mounting holes but there was no force applied on the suspension components that I am at all concerned about. and by "force" we are talking about using the hand strength of an average human, nothing like the force the suspension takes the second you drop the car onto the ground off the jack.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Agreed Lawrence. According to Andre at Squadra Sportiva, as long as all of the holes were able to align, even with great effort, then there is no problem. Most likely if you could hypothetically install while sitting on ground, with body weight loaded on the suspension, it would slip right into alignment. Imagine the force the suspension components are under during fast cornering; a bit more than my arms (or clamp) can muster.

Floro -For due diligence, I’ll likely measure mine when I have the wheels off next just out of curiosity. Hate yours were defective. No offense, but I hope it was just yours. Good luck getting it back together soon. Post here with a follow up.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
One other thing to note for anyone else installing these is that the handbrake cables are hard AF to remove from their clips. This was actually one of the most difficult parts of the install for me. The cable is very rigid and thick and it's kind of weaved into the clips, so really hard to twist it enough to pull it out, especially if you're doing the install on your own.
what you can do for this is spray some diluted dish soap water on the clips and they slide right out. To reinstall, spray again and they slide right in. 😉

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
what you can do for this is spray some diluted dish soap water on the clips and they slide right out. To reinstall, spray again and they slide right in. 😉
Great tip, I feel like I should've thought about that instead of fighting with that rubber gripping the metal lol

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
What's your problem?

I had to "force" the hub into the perfect position between the middle and bottom mounting holes but there was no force applied on the suspension components that I am at all concerned about. and by "force" we are talking about using the hand strength of an average human, nothing like the force the suspension takes the second you drop the car onto the ground off the jack.
I didn’t assume or imply that your coilovers are defective or that you use undue force.

I said that mine were defective, that KW agree and that my techs won’t use force to fit them.
Your issues fitting yours is why I suggested you check yours against the drawing and official dimensions.
I haven’t had a go at you! Enjoy your new suspension mate ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Doc - great tip on the handbrake cable thing. I didn’t think of spraying it down either. It’s a real bastard getting it back in (especially on stock shocks) so yeah, good tip.

·
Registered
299 Posts
apologize for the wayyyy long delay. I have benn out of town a lot

But I got these installed over the weekend. I'm really happy with the driving results thus far, not sure if its the coils or the blocks to thank. Once the coils settle i will get an alignment.

Install - I saw the exact issue everyone was having with the top 2 bolts in the rear. If you line it up nice and easy, its decently off. With some gentle force and play it lines up. I made a video to help if anyone would appreciate it. I plan to write up a proper review with some install help after the alignment. Alfa9 was AWESOME with support, he answered 50 more questions than he should have lol

Also, Help here.

When adjusting ride height, say I want to raise all 4 corners together. The direction I am spinning the front collar is opposite of how I am spinning the rear. It sounds like that is a KW thing. But any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
apologize for the wayyyy long delay. I have benn out of town a lot

But I got these installed over the weekend. I'm really happy with the driving results thus far, not sure if its the coils or the blocks to thank. Once the coils settle i will get an alignment.

Install - I saw the exact issue everyone was having with the top 2 bolts in the rear. If you line it up nice and easy, its decently off. With some gentle force and play it lines up. I made a video to help if anyone would appreciate it. I plan to write up a proper review with some install help after the alignment. Alfa9 was AWESOME with support, he answered 50 more questions than he should have lol

Also, Help here.

When adjusting ride height, say I want to raise all 4 corners together. The direction I am spinning the front collar is opposite of how I am spinning the rear. It sounds like that is a KW thing. But any help would be appreciated.
I’m not sure about them being opposite, but I just know that you compress the spring to raise the car. Whichever way the turning is to compress it.

I’m glad yours fit, but I wonder if yours were just correctly built to spec. Because even in spec, it’s a bit tricky to line them up. Mine were pretty far out of spec and there was no way they were going to fit. I received one rear replacement so far after KW Germany accidentally sent one to me and one to their California office. But they found it and forwarded to me today. I hope to finally get them installed this weekend.

What settings did you start at for both the dampers and ride height?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
299 Posts
I’m not sure about them being opposite, but I just know that you compress the spring to raise the car. Whichever way the turning is to compress it.

I’m glad yours fit, but I wonder if yours were just correctly built to spec. Because even in spec, it’s a bit tricky to line them up. Mine were pretty far out of spec and there was no way they were going to fit. I received one rear replacement so far after KW Germany accidentally sent one to me and one to their California office. But they found it and forwarded to me today. I hope to finally get them installed this weekend.

What settings did you start at for both the dampers and ride height?

I didn’t touch the dampening on any corner and I don’t plan to, I’m using these for street. Honestly I installed one of the front coils backwards so it would be more difficult to reach.
Hopefully that dosnt matter 😬 let me
Mnow

for height I just eye balled it honestly. I must have taken the wheels on and off 8-10 times to get it where I want. Below is where I landed
I can get you measurements if you want them.

but I will be posting a formal review and will put the specific measurements there

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I didn’t touch the dampening on any corner and I don’t plan to, I’m using these for street. Honestly I installed one of the front coils backwards so it would be more difficult to reach.
Hopefully that dosnt matter let me
Mnow

for height I just eye balled it honestly. I must have taken the wheels on and off 8-10 times to get it where I want. Below is where I landed
I can get you measurements if you want them.

but I will be posting a formal review and will put the specific measurements there
View attachment 117197
Looks really good. I’ve only got the fronts installed at the moment since I’m still waiting on the other rear replacement to arrive. But I set the height right in the middle of the allowed adjusted range. But at the moment, it’s slammed way too low and the driver’s side is clearly lower than the passenger side. But I’ll make final adjustments once the rears are in. Plus I’ll probably have the shop adjust it when I take it in for alignment and corner balancing.

I would at least check the damper settings if I were you. The manual suggested starting at 9 clicks open, which is where I set mine. But they clearly did not ship adjusted to that setting. Every one of them was different out of the box.

I’m definitely interested in what your measurements are. If you could, measure both from the ground to the top of the fender arch, as well as from the center of the wheel to the top of the arch. Look forward to your write up.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Looks really good. I’ve only got the fronts installed at the moment since I’m still waiting on the other rear replacement to arrive. But I set the height right in the middle of the allowed adjusted range. But at the moment, it’s slammed way too low and the driver’s side is clearly lower than the passenger side. But I’ll make final adjustments once the rears are in. Plus I’ll probably have the shop adjust it when I take it in for alignment and corner balancing.

I would at least check the damper settings if I were you. The manual suggested starting at 9 clicks open, which is where I set mine. But they clearly did not ship adjusted to that setting. Every one of them was different out of the box.

I’m definitely interested in what your measurements are. If you could, measure both from the ground to the top of the fender arch, as well as from the center of the wheel to the top of the arch. Look forward to your write up.

for the damper setting which way is open and which was is closed? Do you think having the one coil flipped where I couldn’t adjust dampening is a big deal?

I just checked those measurements today, I'm a little out of spec there but the rear I have virtually maxed out. I could spin it maybe 3-4 more times in the rear and I’m at the bottom

front
Floor to wheel arch: just under 24.5
Arch to center of wheel 12 and 3/4

rear
Floor to arch 25 and 1/4
Arch to center of wheel 13 and 1/4

in my review I’ll do my best to get every measurement I can when I go back in to adjust dampening

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
for the damper setting which way is open and which was is closed? Do you think having the one coil flipped where I couldn’t adjust dampening is a big deal?

I just checked those measurements today, I'm a little out of spec there but the rear I have virtually maxed out. I could spin it maybe 3-4 more times in the rear and I’m at the bottom

front
Floor to wheel arch: just under 24.5
Arch to center of wheel 12 and 3/4

rear
Floor to arch 25 and 1/4
Arch to center of wheel 13 and 1/4

in my review I’ll do my best to get every measurement I can when I go back in to adjust dampening
All the way to the left (clockwise) is fully closed, the hardest setting. You then turn it to the right (counter-clockwise) to soften. There’s approximately 16 “clicks” from fully closed to fully open. I set mine at 9 to start.

Yours dropped quite a bit. Seems even more than my initial drop, but I’m running larger tires on aftermarket wheels so my ride height was a little higher to start. But with just the front KW’s installed, I couldn’t get a fist under the front Koshi lip.

IMG_5718.jpg

41 - 60 of 63 Posts