Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

my airco condensor has failed on one of the welds/seams according to my dealer. I was curious if one of you have experienced this as well or it’s just me having this issue.

·
Super Moderator
15,939 Posts
Sorry to hear this.
It isn’t a failure that I recall reading about previously.
But a car is made from many thousands of parts, any one of which could fail.
I hope they got you back on the road quickly. Was the car still under warranty?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear this.
It isn’t a failure that I recall reading about previously.
But a car is made from many thousands of parts, any one of which could fail.
I hope they got you back on the road quickly. Was the car still under warranty?
thanks for your reply. Having issues with the AC for as long as I have the car. They already replaced the expansion valve under warranty and a seal. IMO weld/seam should last longer then 20K km’s.

·
Super Moderator
15,939 Posts
thanks for your reply. Having issues with the AC for as long as I have the car. They already replaced the expansion valve under warranty and a seal. IMO weld/seam should last longer then 20K km’s.
Agree 100%.
There are lots of 4C's out there with considerably higher mileage, and as I said, I do not recall reading of this failure previously.
It might have occurred, but it's certainly not common. I wonder if this was the real source of your A/C problems all along?

·
Super Moderator
8,144 Posts
i don’t recall anyone else who has experienced such a failure. Sorry to hear. Did they provide you with a photo that shows the weld seam break? It‘d be useful for others to keep an eye on the area concerned. Your experience might encourage others to comment of a similar experience but as of the present moment I think you’re member #1 of a very exclusive club (unfortunately). Hope it’s fixed quickly and inexpensively. They didn’t need to touch the aircon in accessing the previous repairs did they? I get suspicious when one repair is followed by another.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agree 100%.
There are lots of 4C's out there with considerably higher mileage, and as I said, I do not recall reading of this failure previously.
It might have occurred, but it's certainly not common. I wonder if this was the real source of your A/C problems all along?
It might indeed have been causing the trouble all along. We’ll wait and see.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i don’t recall anyone else who has experienced such a failure. Sorry to hear. Did they provide you with a photo that shows the weld seam break? It‘d be useful for others to keep an eye on the area concerned. Your experience might encourage others to comment of a similar experience but as of the present moment I think you’re member #1 of a very exclusive club (unfortunately). Hope it’s fixed quickly and inexpensively. They didn’t need to touch the aircon in accessing the previous repairs did they? I get suspicious when one repair is followed by another.
I don’t have a picture, they detected the leak following signs of leakage. I’ll be probably posting them later as I’m probably going to do the repair myself since Alfa Romeo isn’t offering any goodwill and the replacement is costing short of $1000.

the valve and seal which have been replaced are part of the AC system and it has hence been refilled last year.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Likely the failure is on the parent metal on the edge of the uncracked weld. Aluminium welds are never as strong as the parent metal because the heat of the process degrades aluminium.

This is exactly why Lotus bond with adhesive (stick with glue) and screw their aluminium bits together. Heard one of their fellas say it.

Hope it’s sorted soon DB, it’s gonba be warm one this year :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Likely the failure is on the parent metal on the edge of the uncracked weld. Aluminium welds are never as strong as the parent metal because the heat of the process degrades aluminium.

This is exactly why Lotus bond with adhesive (stick with glue) and screw their aluminium bits together. Heard one of their fellas say it.

Hope it’s sorted soon DB, it’s gonba be warm one this year :)
yes you’re right, so that’s most likely the case. Will have a proper look when it’s disassembled.

the small cockpit is already warming up quite fast, especially with two people. so have to sort it out before going on trips again.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
It could easily be brazed at low temperature. If it’s not on warranty, I would consult local trades and get it repaired.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It could easily be brazed at low temperature. If it’s not on warranty, I would consult local trades and get it repaired.
Doing it myself. Have a lift etc. in the garage. Can get the OEM part for €219 and from what I understood it’s an easy job. Only have to take off the front floor

·
Registered
423 Posts
Doing it myself. Have a lift etc. in the garage. Can get the OEM part for €219 and from what I understood it’s an easy job. Only have to take off the front floor
You want a free (non organized) workshopmanual? Do'nt know if i posted you one....
Kind regrads

Reactions: Alfanut

·
Super Moderator
15,939 Posts
How are you reclaiming and recharging the refrigerant?
This repair at the dealership isn’t just the part and labour.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How are you reclaiming and recharging the refrigerant?
This repair at the dealership isn’t just the part and labour.
I’m aware of that. Either making use of a mobile AC service or looking to buy our own machine as we’ve got quite some cars around.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts