Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

561 - 580 of 656 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,925 Posts
On another cheery note, some stats of previous pandemics so we don’t feel it’s just us being persecuted. I think some people (a lot of governments) will have to look hard at changing some long established cultural practices in the area of food health and hygiene as well as how they respond to such an event occurring again, as it enevitably will.
Thankfully medical science has never been better able to respond, so at least we have that on our side and hopefully a cooperative populace.
Obviously, the final Coronavirus stat is a work in progress.
Edit: Currently it’s at 20,500.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
One question to you American types, as we also see Trumps‘ Corona Media Conference updates daily. Unsure if we are getting the whole picture of these conferences here but does he defer to your nations’ Chief Medical Officer (CMO) or equivalent in these briefings, someone with medical expertise to add weight to the message, or not? I haven’t seen anyone but Trump talking recently...but that could just be editing.
Edit: I’ll just leave it at that...my intended last sentence I deleted.

Our Prime Minister has the CMO by his side and after a short explanation of what the Gov’t is doing the PM always defers to him. I think that’s a positive thing.

And Trumps’ wish that the US be opened by Easter? ....False hope or completely delusional? Last I heard you had 42,000 identified infectious cases. You make the call.
Watching the whole press conference gives a much different picture than the clips and summaries that the main news channels are showing/describing.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Fact is that (a) we are 18 months away from a vaccine and (b) if any country keeps their economy in lock-down for that period they won't have to bother opening the lock again.
This works for a few weeks and hopefully will take the edge off before the sun deals with the virus for a while, but then the choice will be between Covid-19 deaths or starvation due collapse of supply chain. I'd vote for a 5% chance of drowning in my own lung fluid over 100% chance of starving or getting killed protecting the carrots in my garden.
This is what politicians and actual leaders are prepping us for. They are hoping the sun will be so effective they will not have to explain the carrot-defense scenario.

Some very interesting learnings from my own country, likely shared worldwide to some degree:
  • Many sectors keep running when people work from home. Imagine that. All those years there was actually no need to drive 200km a day to a city to drink coffee with colleagues and then complain about pollution and traffic jams.
  • The country border is at the airport.
  • The EU is completely useless for anything else than finding excuses to take taxpayer money.
  • Borders can in fact be closed. There will be no worldwide tribunal of death for any country that closes its borders. Even with 9854 pacts signed by un-elected officials.
  • When you are dependent on cheap foreign labor to pick vegetables from fields, and borders are closed, you no longer have vegetables to eat.
  • When having a high long-term unemployment rate there is absolutely no reason to be dependant on cheap foreign labor to pick vegetables from fields.
  • Investing billions in a badly modeled prediction on climate change instead of an apparently more urgent need to invest in defense against viruses, was the dumbest idea since "let's sign a peace treaty with that Adolf chap".
More learnings to come, I am sure.

·
Super Moderator
5,925 Posts
Fact is that (a) we are 18 months away from a vaccine and (b) if any country keeps their economy in lock-down for that period they won't have to bother opening the lock again.
This works for a few weeks and hopefully will take the edge off before the sun deals with the virus for a while, but then the choice will be between Covid-19 deaths or starvation due collapse of supply chain. I'd vote for a 5% chance of drowning in my own lung fluid over 100% chance of starving or getting killed protecting the carrots in my garden.
This is what politicians and actual leaders are prepping us for. They are hoping the sun will be so effective they will not have to explain the carrot-defense scenario.

Some very interesting learnings from my own country, likely shared worldwide to some degree:
  • Investing billions in a badly modeled prediction on climate change instead of an apparently more urgent need to invest in defense against viruses, was the dumbest idea since "let's sign a peace treaty with that Adolf chap".
More learnings to come, I am sure.
Billions in modelling? I thought the billions wasted in every war of the last 30 years would have been worth a mention....overcoming mistrust, hatred and rivalry seems too hard for many of those in charge. For some it justifies their raison d’être....I know I’m dreaming but so much money is wasted on military tech that could be usefully used elsewhere.
Our F35 and soon to be submarine expenditures as examples.

If everyone can isolate or at least distance themselves from others for a month then the virus will run its course. The problem is people unwilling to follow the protocols. The Kiwis are giving it a shot. It’ll be interesting to see how they fair. The other problem is a lack of international co-operation. Everyone agreeing to follow the most successful nations’ protocols in reducing the spread of the disease would have been the way to approach this. Instead, everyone seems to be doing their own thing. The lack of urgency and downright incompetence has been rife in Oz...but for some reason we have one of the lowest infection rates per those tested in the world despite it (the incompetence). Not even heat testing those coming off aeroplanes and allowing passengers to leave cruise ships before test results have been announced were idiotic decisions made by authorities here.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Billions in modelling? I thought the billions wasted in every war of the last 30 years would have been worth a mention....overcoming mistrust, hatred and rivalry seems too hard for many of those in charge. For some it justifies their raison d’être....I know I’m dreaming but so much money is wasted on military tech that could be usefully used elsewhere.
Our F35 and soon to be submarine expenditures as examples.

If everyone can isolate or at least distance themselves from others for a month then the virus will run its course. The problem is people unwilling to follow the protocols. The Kiwis are giving it a shot. It’ll be interesting to see how they fair. The other problem is a lack of international co-operation. Everyone agreeing to follow the most successful nations’ protocols in reducing the spread of the disease would have been the way to approach this. Instead, everyone seems to be doing their own thing. The lack of urgency and downright incompetence has been rife in Oz...but for some reason we have one of the lowest infection rates per those tested in the world despite it (the incompetence). Not even heat testing those coming off aeroplanes and allowing passengers to leave cruise ships before test results have been announced were idiotic decisions made by authorities here.
There is a plan to spend a thousand billion in Europe alone on climate. At a time where the modellers are admitting it is not the top but lower range we should believe.
I did not use war as a lesson because we will never learn that one and also there is a (perverted, but existing) business model with that. But living in a country that spends billions on F35 to defend against Russia who is now helping Italy more than the EU, I agree you have to wonder...

·
Super Moderator
14,028 Posts
Shouldn't he know not to touch his face???

It is no surprise though, that press clippings ("sound bites" as they are often called) are out-of-context and useless.
One needs to hear the whole thing.

Right now, Trump is being lambasted for considering re-opening things "soon". But when you drill down even the slightest bit, he's talking April 12. That's in line with where we are headed up here right now, and the date is not set in stone in either place yet. Every world leader is working across the rocky crag where Economics and Epidemiology collide. And their advice is often conflicting.

We do need to cure this, but it isn't going to happen in 2 weeks, 4 weeks or 16 weeks. As Lurrr said, it's an 18 month time horizon that most models are predicting, unless nature looks after it for us. In that time, we will have recurrences, temporary closures, lulls and re-openings. And that is how we will get through it. Still better than living in parts of Syria for the last 5 years!

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I've never considered a vaccine a cure. To me, it a form of proactive prevention.

hydroxychloroquine is showing extreme promise.

·
Super Moderator
14,028 Posts
I've never considered a vaccine a cure. To me, it a form of proactive prevention.

hydroxychloroquine is showing extreme promise.
I wouldn't say "extreme promise" just yet - only anecdotal reports and a very limited test against a control group in China, but clinical trials are underway or about to begin.

Within recommended dosages. Including not drinking aquarium cleaner just because it has that listed as an ingredient!

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I have read from a couple sources that a couple hundred people in Orange County, NY have been treated successfully with hydroxychloroquine and Zinc.

and that is way better than none
But yes,
Don't eat your fishbowl cleaner, unless you already tried the tidepod challenge
In that case, go for it

·
Registered
723 Posts
"China confirms hantavirus outbreak, 1st death reported" This is a Rat carrying virus. Just we need another potential pandemic from the Great People of CHINA.
Seriously can they just eat Pork and Chicken? It's way cheaper than the Sh!t they are eating from these Wet Market.

Sooner or later, China will get you, one by one.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I just laid off 70% of my staff and my revenue is down BIG.

CHINA owes us all Big Time. They let this spin out of control and LIED to everyone about it. Fcuk the Chinese Gov't. They can go Fcuk themselves.

·
Super Moderator
14,028 Posts
I just laid off 70% of my staff and my revenue is down BIG.

CHINA owes us all Big Time. They let this spin out of control and LIED to everyone about it. Fcuk the Chinese Gov't. They can go Fcuk themselves.
Justin has already promised money to those laid off - so the country can go bankrupt instead of its citizens and businesses!

But as for the China allegations, I'm still waiting for someone to show proof of that.

Oh, and Hantavirus - the last few outbreaks of that which I can recall came from North American sources.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Justin has already promised money to those laid off - so the country can go bankrupt instead of its citizens and businesses!

But as for the China allegations, I'm still waiting for someone to show proof of that.

Oh, and Hantavirus - the last few outbreaks of that which I can recall came from North American sources.
Proof???? Are you freakin serious??? You should listen to the podcast with Michael Osterholm.
This shit came from CHINA. Anyone denying this is either Mainland Chinese or someone with another agenda. Chinese gov't has to get rid of these Wet Markets where these deadly viruses will breed and cause another horrific pandemic.

·
Registered
220 Posts
"China confirms hantavirus outbreak, 1st death reported" This is a Rat carrying virus. Just we need another potential pandemic from the Great People of CHINA.
Seriously can they just eat Pork and Chicken? It's way cheaper than the Sh!t they are eating from these Wet Market.

Sooner or later, China will get you, one by one.
As far as I know, you get infected with Hanta virus due to
inhale virus particles from rodent urine, droppings or saliva that have been released into the air. OR touch objects or eat food contaminated with the urine, droppings or saliva of infected rodents. Not sure if you can get hanta virus by eating it lol .
and yes I heard about ppl getting infected drinking pops without wiping first and apparently mice urine was present where you would put your mouth.

·
Super Moderator
14,028 Posts
As far as I know, you get infected with Hanta virus due to
inhale virus particles from rodent urine, droppings or saliva that have been released into the air. OR touch objects or eat food contaminated with the urine, droppings or saliva of infected rodents.
My understanding also.

and yes I heard about ppl getting infected drinking pops without wiping first and apparently mice urine was present where you would put your mouth.
I got that chain letter once also!
Not impossible, but highly unlikely given what efforts go into food safety in this part of the world, though.
If it happens here, it's likely from storing in someone's basement or garage, not from store or warehouse.
China, not so sure about though!

·
Super Moderator
14,028 Posts
Proof???? Are you freakin serious??? You should listen to the podcast with Michael Osterholm.
This shit came from CHINA. Anyone denying this is either Mainland Chinese or someone with another agenda. Chinese gov't has to get rid of these Wet Markets where these deadly viruses will breed and cause another horrific pandemic.
No question as to the source. Definitely China.

It's the organized "lies and coverup" that are alleged but nobody seems to be able to find the smoking gun.

Yes, the initial doctor reports (from one in particular, but I'm sure there were more) got suppressed and one was even reprimanded by local communist party officials for crying wolf. But again, looking at the REAL time line and the facts we know such as incubation period, China carries very little responsibility for the outbreak beyond its borders.

The fault for our (US, Canada, Europe) current situation lies solely on our own governments. Enough was known about this by smart people in this part of the world by mid-January that the borders should have been shut or at least all incoming people assessed upon arrival and placed in mandatory quarantine. Instead, we're more than two months later and still aren't "getting it".

Love Doug Ford's list of "essential businesses" that may remain open. Dry cleaners - really???
Snowbirds coming back from Florida are stopping for groceries and taking the RV in for service before isolating. That's just stoopid!
Passengers from incomgng flights from all over the world (including Italy) weren't assessed upon arrival in Canada - even up to less than 2 weeks ago.

Singapore and Taiwan had the right idea, beginning January 3. Given the case of SARS 17 years ago, Canada should have done better.

·
Super Moderator
14,028 Posts
The Faeroe Islands is the one I've been watching for a while now, in puzzlement.
Surprised there are even that many people living there!

561 - 580 of 656 Posts