Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
18,681 Posts
Would be interested to know if the seals (front and rear, especially front) can be replaced without complete disassembly or not, if anyone knows for certain.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
The hardest part is to get the dust boot part that mates with the caliper body out as there is a small metal ring embedded in the rubber. I used a knife & Screwdriver to slowly wiggle it out. To reinsert the new dust boot into the caliper body just required A LOT of pressure. I cheated and use a bar clamp like this

Worked perfect...

The challenge to replace without total disassembly is that there is a small section of hard brake line directly attached to the caliper, so you can't simply unbolt the caliper and wiggle it to get the clamp to compress the seal. It may be possible with something like this

Reactions: 4Canada

·
Administrator
18,681 Posts
Does anyone know the sizes are of the front and rear caliper pistons / rings and dust seals on the 4C?

I haven't found them specified, didn't see them in this thread, and unfortunately @DrPyro2k 's links up-thread are no longer valid.

The one vendor, Ohio Performance, shows 10 different sized kits but without knowing the size I'm dead in the water.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Does anyone know the sizes are of the front and rear caliper pistons / rings and dust seals on the 4C?

I haven't found them specified, didn't see them in this thread, and unfortunately @DrPyro2k 's links up-thread are no longer valid.

The one vendor, Ohio Performance, shows 10 different sized kits but without knowing the size I'm dead in the water.
This tread looks like it's the same as a Clio RS3 caliper...

So, maybe this fits??

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
I was just talking about this to a buddy today who has the same problem on his car (not an alfa). While I have never Trarked mine I do wonder how much of a problem this is on ours, what is the regular life span on these seals, do the new ones have better life expectancy?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I was just talking about this to a buddy today who has the same problem on his car (not an alfa). While I have never Trarked mine I do wonder how much of a problem this is on ours, what is the regular life span on these seals, do the new ones have better life expectancy?
Cars that are being tracked suffer more about this issue due heat. The rubber dries out and crack eventually...

·
Administrator
18,681 Posts
I did find Carlson part numbers for these kits (not sure if that is a good brand name or not) but they don't seem to be distributed in Canada (story of my life).
I can get on ebay. - can anyone advise if this is a quality brand, or junk?

Front rebuild kit (not including pistons) is Carlson D1379
Rear rebuild kit (not including pistons) is Carlson D1822

From the ebay photos, one of each of the above appears to be sufficient to do the entire car.

·
Administrator
18,681 Posts
For others who might come across this issue in future, Carlson manufacturer’s part numbers are:

Front 15482 (need 2 kits)
Rear 41293 (need 2 kits).

Trying to find a Canadian vendor for these. Rears are on Amazon Canada but I need the fronts more.

Dealership cannot locate them. Alfa Workshop was able to find the product. Seems silly to have to import from the UK or US, but that might just be the way.

·
Administrator
18,681 Posts
Another question. Caliper bracket bolt torques.
Manual says:
Rears are M10 x 1.5 x 25. Torque “value” (daNm) is 5.4 division symbol (not slash - my keyboard doesn’t have this) 6.0.
Front bolts areM14 x 2 x 90. Torque “value” (daNm) is 15.2 division symbol 16.8

How do you read that division symbol? Torque to the lower value and then to the higher?

·
Administrator
18,681 Posts
Going back in this thread, I found info from Rock Auto, who carry the seals.
They have a Canadian Dollar site. Yipee!
Several manufacturer options for front and rear.
If anyone else is looking:

Various manufacturers’ part numbers showing here:
Rectangle Font Technology Parallel Screenshot

Raybestos is a name I’m familiar with (also AC Delco), so I’ll probably go with that. Any comments on the brands?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts