Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters
101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,126 Posts
that is a nice cap! well done
That is on my car. Originally started as a CNC special run by DocRon. I have a metal lathe and milling machine so turned a relief to fit the emblem insert found on Amazon. The cap fits over the stock cap which is a pressurized cap. If you tried to make this as one piece you would need that pressurized mechanism thus driving the price WAY up. By the way don't ask DocRon to make another run.....think he had enough work and headaches making this happen the first time. If Beau wants to make some of these I know a few people that would be in line for it including my neighbor ;)
And yes....I could turn one of these on my lathe but it isn't a CNC so would take a lot more time to make and you wouldn't want to pay my price for me to make it ;-)

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
That is on my car. Originally started as a CNC special run by DocRon. I have a metal lathe and milling machine so turned a relief to fit the emblem insert found on Amazon. The cap fits over the stock cap which is a pressurized cap. If you tried to make this as one piece you would need that pressurized mechanism thus driving the price WAY up. By the way don't ask DocRon to make another run.....think he had enough work and headaches making this happen the first time. If Beau wants to make some of these I know a few people that would be in line for it including my neighbor ;)
And yes....I could turn one of these on my lathe but it isn't a CNC so would take a lot more time to make and you wouldn't want to pay my price for me to make it ;-)
Is this the insert you found on Amazon?

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,126 Posts
Is this the insert you found on Amazon?

No.....the one I have is identical image wise but about 34mm....the 56mm version is same as on our stock phone dial wheels. I don't recall where I got these....will see if I can find them again. I was able to buy just a single unit.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,126 Posts
No.....the one I have is identical image wise but about 34mm....the 56mm version is same as on our stock phone dial wheels. I don't recall where I got these....will see if I can find them again. I was able to buy just a single unit.
I looked at Ebay and they have a set of these for about $30 from China that includes the wheel inserts, hood insert and a steering wheel insert which is listed as 40mm and that size would work with what I have. The issue is with Covid-19 .... who knows when these will show up from China.....the information indicates it may not show up until October. I would research Amazon and see if you can find a 40mm or less steering wheel emblem insert and that would work. The ones from the wheels would be too large for the way I used it. Again....you may be able to find just the steering wheel insert.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Have you tested it yet?

I was going to make something similar but the transmission power of the key FOB is pretty weak, so I didn't bother.

Are you milling these or casting them? I'm asking because I'm looking for some-one to produce the control knobs I designed a while back.

101 - 106 of 106 Posts