Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentleman...

I'm currently discussing with a custom fabrication company to build a custom aluminum coolant reservoir for the 4C. Mine failed on track this past year, but several other Houston owners have noted theirs have also started leaking. We don't have a design for it yet, but it will be roughly the same size as the current reservoir as my car has the EC Intercooler which greatly restricts the available area. IF we can get some extra fluid volume we will, but not guaranteed at this time.

Now the "most important" item, cost... It won't be cheap, we are likely talking about $900 or so. The factory reservoir is about $100, but I don't want to risk possible track failure again. If I get enough interest (5 or more owner), then we might be able to get the pricing down. Once I get more details from my fabricator (pricing, etc), I'll pass the information on.

So for now, I just want to get some idea on who might be interested....

Thanks!

·
Registered
gtv6 3.0, Stelvio Ti
303 Posts
We did a group buy for custom fabricated gtv6 coolant tanks, about $300 for 12-15 pieces. Moroso manufactured the tanks. Fit and quality high, includes an acrylic sight glass for coolant level. I’d be interested in something closer to that price range.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Given the complexity of the tank (shape), I doubt I can get it that low. It can't be a straight "box" type design.... However, I'll see what I can do....

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Maybe someone want to experiment with one of the Weapon R tanks for $100-160 to see if one would fit in our space. 😉
I had one for the Fiat 590 a few years back but never got around to installing it.

Reactions: 4Canada

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hear you guys....... Too expensive, got it...

So what I have started to do is draw the proposed coolant tank in 3D to do most of the engineering myself. This should cut down their time significantly and hopefully reduce the costs.

I may also look into 3D printing the model first to test fit. If all goes well, I could send it out to a "standard" fabrication shop to make x number of units.

First draft.... I am NOT a fan of the "standard" sight tubes in a track application (just asking for leaks, IMHO). I may look at putting a threaded sight glass on the front of the tank about midway up.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I am more interested if it has some way of seeing the level from the outside. Not necessarily a tube like the one from above, which I agree is nothing but potential trouble, but more of a slit with a clear plastic window.. Another option is a tube on the side with a good threaded cap at the full level, so you fill the coolant when it is cold to that level and then forget about it until the next time the engine is cold...

·
Registered
gtv6 3.0, Stelvio Ti
303 Posts
GTV6 owners have used these tanks for several years with no sight glass problems, it’s not glass of course, but agree if there is a problem that is where it will show up. Depends on the manufacturer as well, Moroso knows how to make these.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So a few questions while I'm working on some revisions...

Sight Glass.... I understand that people want it, BUT, we have some challenges. Cost, fabrication complexity, operating temperature, visibility, and leaks/durability are all in play .. So here are our options.... The overall reservoir is about 5.5" tall (not counting the filler cap), so keep that in mind when stating your preference.

1) The type of flexible sight glass like @peterA116 showed, only has a working temperature UP TO 165F (at least vendors that I could find that listed specifications). I don't know about you guys, but I have learned the hard way NOT to touch that reservoir after a very hard track session in Houston. Now the "damn that is quite hot" touch temperature is about 130 - 140 F (based on my Latte making experience). I want the tank for reliability, aka, not prone to leaks or failures, so I prefer not to use this....

2) There are some other linear sight glass that can go up to 250F or so, but they require fairly precision fabrication and stick out a ways... Something like this... Cost is around $35 or so each.

3) NPT round sight port. This is the easiest as it is a single hole in the reservoir. I can go up to 2" NPT, but placing a 1" NPT would probably be fine. Cost for a 1" is less than $20.

My thinking is to do Option #3. Visibility is FRIGGIN' awful now. I have had the "no black cover" version, and as the plastic ages, I can't tell the level without taking the top off and using a flashlight. The "black cover" version that is sold now, is even worse... So just being able to shine a light at the sight glass that is placed about mid level on the tank just to say, "I have enough fluid" because it is over sight glass, then I'm okay... What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Second question, the screw cap....

Options:
1) I can likely custom fabricate the filler port that will match our OEM cap. This will likely cost more $, but would provide a nice clean design/look.

2) Buy an off the shelf part from Mishimoto or someone like that. A drain hose would need to be installed in the side port to potentially a catch can...

Thoughts everyone?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Isn't that the second cap option requires two tanks? First one to be fully filled with coolant, and the second one as an expansion tank?

And... I wonder if you can 3D printed the whole tank... think OEM shape but in metal.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts