Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed this after a run yesterday. The small section of the underfloor that extends I to the rear wheel arch section is cracked. Can't say I remember any knocks or noises that may have caused it but it's there alright. I'm guessing it can be fixed but it ain't gonna be cheap?

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ouch! hope it doesn't cost too much

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can only think it may have been a big bit of grit I ran over that got flung down onto the part causing it to shatter. May be worth looking at some kind of shield to fit over it once it's repaired so it doesn't happen again

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
One of the vendors sells a protector that clips onto that area to protect it. It seemed like a good idea but they were out of stock, so I bought some heavy duty edge protection to cover it. This stuff: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NL3YN7O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I probably looks more finished than factory, and keeps that area covered. You might be able to put a bit of glue appropriate for SMC to ensure it doesn't spread and then put on some protection like this stuff or the other one and avoid the need to have non-factory paint blended in.

Edit: Here's the one sold by a vendor, Centerline: https://centerlinealfa.com/catalog/seal-4c-rear-wheel

·
Registered
346 Posts
One of the vendors sells a protector that clips onto that area to protect it. It seemed like a good idea but they were out of stock, so I bought some heavy duty edge protection to cover it. This stuff: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NL3YN7O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I probably looks more finished than factory, and keeps that area covered. You might be able to put a bit of glue appropriate for SMC to ensure it doesn't spread and then put on some protection like this stuff or the other one and avoid the need to have non-factory paint blended in.

Edit: Here's the one sold by a vendor, Centerline: https://centerlinealfa.com/catalog/seal-4c-rear-wheel
What size did you get?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
What size did you get?
The link should take you to the size that I went with, Part Number: 100B3X1/16-25 | Size: 25 feet | Style: 9/16 inch leg; 1/16 inch edge fit. You could probably go with the size for 1/8" edges too since this has the small lip, but with the aluminum inner structure you can kind of form it around the lip and it's a nice tight fit.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Actually - I have about 24' of this stuff left. I think it took 8" sections on each side. If anyone would like some, PM me your address and I'll mail you two 8" sections.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,451 Posts
Could have been something thrown up....but did anyone try to jack the car up....or run it onto some sort of a lift that could have snagged there?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Strange that this should be happening, I'll be checking my 4C as soon as I get it out of the garage, (I've been away for 4 weeks and now have severe 4C withdrawal symptons), it may be worth adding some sort of protection so I'll be looking into that. BTW, the 4C panels are not fibreglass but SMC (sheet moulded composite) which contains fibreglass, so I'm not sure if standard fibreglass repairs would fix it.

AlfaArnold

·
Registered
346 Posts
Actually - I have about 24' of this stuff left. I think it took 8" sections on each side. If anyone would like some, PM me your address and I'll mail you two 8" sections.
PM'd Thanks!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Definitely sorry to see this. The 4C seems to not take kindly to road debris, Things that would just bounce off any other car seem to be causing some serious damage to the lightweight composite panels than the 4C is made out of. Hopefully you can find something that will be sufficient for a fix, as I am sure that the replacement parts are very costly!
Tyson

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Noticed this after a run yesterday. The small section of the underfloor that extends I to the rear wheel arch section is cracked. Can't say I remember any knocks or noises that may have caused it but it's there alright. I'm guessing it can be fixed but it ain't gonna be cheap?

That sucks. I'm not sure where on the car this is. How about another picture that shows the relationship.

The rocker and rear fender are fiberglass and should be repairable, easily. A Corvette repair shop would be a good place to start.

·
4C-Forums.com Vendor
417 Posts
A lot of cars were damaged like that during delivery. The hold-down straps inside the enclosed trucks go over the wheels and then down to the load floor. But if the attachment point was not directly next to the wheel the strap would be at an angle and touch the bodywork there and cause damage.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Well, i have checked mine today and apart from the chipping (not broken/cracked yet) on the bottom part...i have it slightly cracked on the upper part (on both sides of the car) near the screw that attaches the two panels...ffs

We can't avoid road debris or gravel on publics roads or dirty sides of tracks...so, since it isn't going to be a Garage Queen, i think i'll go with JWA suggestion as well to protect a little the lower part, at least.

Feeling kind of pissed though...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.