Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
41 - 60 of 115 Posts
gears 1-3-5 will engage, no manual mode. I was 40 miles away from home today when it happened - Highway driving, car just started revving, no gear engaged. I pull over - wait for 10 minutes, car finally starts again. Transmission light is on, check engine light is on. No manual mode available. YES all my connections are cleaned and greased, battery reads 13.4 volts - I have been there so many times, - I drive off, 1 gear rpms till 5k, then 3rd, then immediately 5th - very unsafe. This needs to be solved. I had my 4c in for service 4 months ago FOR THE SAME EXACT ISSUE AND IT WAS NOT THE FIRST TIME. YES SAME ISSUE. This is a main issue, i cant go anywhere, and it is extremely frustrating, i drove the car just one time in between. I hope someone with some consciousness from Alfa Romeo steps up and takes a damn close look at this. Im livid.

gears 1-3-5 will engage, no manual mode. I was 40 miles away from home today when it happened - Highway driving, car just started revving, no gear engaged. I pull over - wait for 10 minutes, car finally starts again. Transmission light is on, check engine light is on. No manual mode available. YES all my connections are cleaned and greased, battery reads 13.4 volts - I have been there so many times, - I drive off, 1 gear rpms till 5k, then 3rd, then immediately 5th - very unsafe. This needs to be solved. I had my 4c in for service 4 months ago FOR THE SAME EXACT ISSUE AND IT WAS NOT THE FIRST TIME. YES SAME ISSUE. This is a main issue, i cant go anywhere, and it is extremely frustrating, i drove the car just one time in between. I hope someone with some consciousness from Alfa Romeo steps up and takes a damn close look at this. Im livid.
Probably the TCM. I had the exact same issue. You probably do not have the shield that goes over the TCM. Overtime, water gets in the TCM and shortcut the module. When this happened to me, they replaced the TCM and put the shield on.

Probably the TCM. I had the exact same issue. You probably do not have the shield that goes over the TCM. Overtime, water gets in the TCM and shortcut the module. When this happened to me, they replaced the TCM and put the shield on.
What Samy said. Here is the link to the thread: (MAYBE) Diagnosis of TCM Voltage Irregularity!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More likely actuator failure...But isn’t that what they ‘fixed’? Or did they do a transmission recalibration? What were the codes this time?

Thank you for all your replies.

First things first - how do I check if I have the TCM shield?
Can I physically check if there is corrosion?

It blows my mind that Alfa Romeo hasnt even chenged 1 part out of three times i was there. God I love the brand, I am a proud owner of a well restore Gtv, but man they make you regret it sometimes..

Thank you I have sent you a private Message.
What Samy said. Here is the link to the thread: (MAYBE) Diagnosis of TCM Voltage Irregularity!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
More likely actuator failure...But isn’t that what they ‘fixed’? Or did they do a transmission recalibration? What were the codes this time?

O
OK - So I dont have the shield - I cannot believe this. After so many visits to the dealer. And now im out of warranty. No comment, really no comment.

View attachment 107639
You’ve owned the car since new? If so, you should have been on the Forum years ago...but not much use crying over spilled milk. Focus on getting it fixed. As I asked, do you know the codes? The last chapter of the e-manual has a glossary of codes and their meanings. Ask ‘tibby‘ for a copy if you haven’t already.

O

You’ve owned the car since new? If so, you should have been on the Forum years ago...but not much use crying over spilled milk. Focus on getting it fixed. As I asked, do you know the codes? The last chapter of the e-manual has a glossary of codes and their meanings. Ask ‘tibby‘ for a copy if you haven’t already.
I bought the car last year. I have a cheap Scanner, i dont know if that will work. Im not crying over spilled milk, I am trying to get help from you, since the dealer wont. I will post the codes if i am able to read them, thank you for your help.

I bought the car last year. I have a cheap Scanner, i dont know if that will work. Im not crying over spilled milk, I am trying to get help from you, since the dealer wont. I will post the codes if i am able to read them, thank you for your help.
Just focus on what needs doing is all I’m saying. The previous owner should have got the update on the car. He didn’t. What it does is debatable but the idea was a cover for better water protection for the TCM. Some without it had found corrosion of the lead connectors to the TCM due to water dripping on them.
Mine has a shield but I religiously cover the engine area beneath the hatch vents with towels when washing my car to keep water out of the electrics. Some have said this is ridiculous paranoia. I say otherwise. What I know is it can’t hurt. Each to his own. No transmission issues with mine so far, touch wood. But is that the source of your issue? You can at least eliminate it as a possibility.

I hear you, yes thats what needs to be done now. thank you for your help.

I tried to read the codes, but my scanner is just too cheap and probably not compatible with the Iso. Is there anyway that i can check for corrosion without removing the car panel?

Just focus on what needs doing is all I’m saying. The previous owner should have got the update on the car. He didn’t. What it does is debatable but the idea was a cover for better water protection for the TCM. Some without it had found corrosion of the lead connectors to the TCM due to water dripping on them.
Mine has a shield but I religiously cover the engine area beneath the hatch vents with towels when washing my car to keep water out of the electrics. Some have said this is ridiculous paranoia. I say otherwise. What I know is it can’t hurt. Each his own. No transmission issues with mine so far, touch wood.

I don't have the shield either on my 2015 LE, but might have the TCM flash.

I haven't experienced this particular issue and do wash the car with a pressure washer, taking care not to spray towards that area of the engine bay. Car has been rained on plenty of times, but the TCM is so far back in the engine bay, I'd be surprised if rain can touch it.

Thank you for the reply - i definitely do not have the shield, and I just got in touch with Alfa Romeo of Boston and they confirmed they never
1- replaced the TCM
2-never installed the patch

I don't have the shield either on my 2015 LE, but might have the TCM flash.

I haven't experienced this particular issue and do wash the car with a pressure washer, taking care not to spray towards that area of the engine bay. Car has been rained on plenty of times, but the TCM is so far back in the engine bay, I'd be surprised if rain can touch it.

41 - 60 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.