Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Is it possible that the boot lining got wet at some point if for example the engine was cleaned? It might retain the moisture, some might evaporate and condense on the boot lid and then rain down again, meaning there is perpetual moisture from a one-off event that is otherwise explainable as not being a leak (eg, engine clean, or a wet roof stowed if this is a spider, etc).

Have you let it thoroughly dry out and then see if the moisture returns?
Thanks for the info Matthew. Unfortunately, its not the case as yesterday i made sure to dry the boot with a heat gun and at night it rained leaving my boot damp again. My car wasn't moving at all and yet its damp. Have no clue where the water is coming from. Its mainly on the left side of the boot :(

Well that would seem to narrow the problem down to rain ingress from above (eg, not water coming from below or behind the boot tub, eg somehow off the engine or wheel spray).

In that case, I’m not sure a new (plastic lined) boot tub will help the problem. If the water comes in from above, then a new tub will get wet just the same.

I would suspect a seal problem around the boot lid, but I’ve never experienced this problem so I’ll let others weigh in. It is possible to remove the felt on the boot lid to inspect behind there for water leaks (held in place by 9 or so plastic tree push pins).

Discussion starter · #23 ·
My mechanic thinks that water might be running down via the felt piece behind the boot lid as you mentioned. Thanks for pointing that out too.
The thing is, I do also wonder if water is getting in from the sides as I’ve never driven it in the wet yet. It might be a combo of two things - lid and tub. You never know but certainly frustrating

Well that would seem to narrow the problem down to rain ingress from above (eg, not water coming from below or behind the boot tub, eg somehow off the engine or wheel spray).

In that case, I’m not sure a new (plastic lined) boot tub will help the problem. If the water comes in from above, then a new tub will get wet just the same.

I would suspect a seal problem around the boot lid, but I’ve never experienced this problem so I’ll let others weigh in. It is possible to remove the felt on the boot lid to inspect behind there for water leaks (held in place by 9 or so plastic tree push pins).

@Avelian,
(with the engine cool and stopped) try mounting a phone camera with the video running on the engine pointing at the boot/trunk somewhere that it wont get damaged when you close the boot/hood. Place a light source in the soggy boot/trunk space shining up. Close the boot for a while and anywhere light can get out, water can get in. Open the engine cover and review your video, then make adjustments to the seal on the boot/trunk accordingly. You could use plasticine to build-up the area where the light gets out to see how much you need to adjust the seal.
Or you can purchase a helium sniffer, fill the boot/trunk with helium and have a robot sniff around the gaps for helium leaks like the manufacturers do.
Cheers,
Alf.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
@Avelian,
(with the engine cool and stopped) try mounting a phone camera with the video running on the engine pointing at the boot/trunk somewhere that it wont get damaged when you close the boot/hood. Place a light source in the soggy boot/trunk space shining up. Close the boot for a while and anywhere light can get out, water can get in. Open the engine cover and review your video, then make adjustments to the seal on the boot/trunk accordingly. You could use plasticine to build-up the area where the light gets out to see how much you need to adjust the seal.
Or you can purchase a helium sniffer, fill the boot/trunk with helium and have a robot sniff around the gaps for helium leaks like the manufacturers do.
Cheers,
Alf.
Hahah love the helium sniffer idea. That’s creative. I am considering your camera video option (thank you for very much for the idea), but looking at the weather and the fact that I’m bringing my to the mechanic on the 15th I might just leave it. Currently, have more pressing issues to fix which is getting a set of rear absorbers which is a pain to obtain

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Update, I did a few videos from different angles and used a spray nozzle water hose on a few angles and there's no water going in! I tried it for a good few mins in every possible angle and the boot did not have a hint of water sipping through. ARGHHHH frustrating....

Update, I did a few videos from different angles and used a spray nozzle water hose on a few angles and there's no water going in! I tried it for a good few mins in every possible angle and the boot did not have a hint of water sipping through. ARGHHHH frustrating....
Probably not coming into the boot in sufficient volume to capture on video. Or transferring from the outside of the boot.

On a totally unrelated note, I saw the title of this thread and thought it was a sequel to a 1980's German movie about a WWII submarine. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
(spoiler - it sank at the end of the first movie).

I bet it is coming in from the trunk seam. Water runs along the edge of it, and soaks the bottom of the trunk.

Feel the edge of the seam and I bet you will feel some moisture.

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting

Discussion starter · #33 ·
I bet it is coming in from the trunk seam. Water runs along the edge of it, and soaks the bottom of the trunk.

Feel the edge of the seam and I bet you will feel some moisture.

View attachment 131867
If it’s coming from the seam am I to change the whole bucket to a plastic version? What would the remedy To fix this issue? Thanks!

Not in Australian 4Cs actually. At least not in mine.
It's a North American thing.
In Oz, we would never get kidnapped and placed in the boot/trunk of a 4C when there are so many better suited vehicles for that purpose

• Haha
Reactions: smc4C
If it’s coming from the seam am I to change the whole bucket to a plastic version? What would the remedy To fix this issue? Thanks!
Maybe. I just put a napkin (serviette) there to check for the presence of moisture and left it there permanently lol. Trunk (boot) has been dry ever since. ;)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.