Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,836 Posts
No problems on my Launch Edition Coupe but it isn't left out in the hot sun for hours at a time. I have always used a brand called 303 which is a surface protectant that is mostly sold in Marine shops. It can go over leather, rubber, plastic, just about anything. It us a UV inhibitor so will cut down on damage caused by sun. I have used on cars and kayaks for several years and it works well. I like that it doesn't add a greasy, high gloss which causes reflections on the inside of the window. You can combine it with a regular leather material like Lexol if you like.

By the way there is a slit in the middle of the material on the passenger side air bag that allows it to split open if the air bag is deployed. Someone had a post that thought it was a defect but it isn't.

By the way....supposedly the sub contractor company that does the leather on the 4C is the same one that does the Ferrari's.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,836 Posts
Our cars have cheap coated or laminated leather instead of Aniline or Semi-Aniline leather. The coating applied to the leather is not porous and as a result the thought from most in the industry is that conditioning it is futile since the conditioner cannot get to the actual leather and instead just speeds up the leather getting dirty by sitting on the surface and attracting dirt.
Aniline refers to the dying process used on the leather. Aniline means the color dye is throughout the leather whereas non aniline means the finish sits on the surface of the leather. Most leather is not aniline dyed. In any case any leather will benefit from some sort of leather treatment.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,836 Posts
Don't try that ..it will be a disaster. Warranty first..and if not covered an auto upholstery store can fix it...probably a lot cheaper than the ALFA replacement.
QUOTE=DerwoodEE;794266]I wonder if it's possible to use some sort of very fine needle to inject additional glue in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,836 Posts
If the dash is ok now...throw a towel on it when in sun...or get one of those folding reflectors designed just for this purpose.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,836 Posts
Could be the seal around the windshield wiper which is supposed to be changed out everytime the hood is replaced, Some also had blockage of the drain from the air conditioner condenser. I would suspect the first since you didn't have that issue until the work was done.
For those wondering about treating the leather.....many of the 4Cs at out in the hot sun in lots for a long time at the dealer....or perhaps you leave yours parked outside a lot. That can't be good for the dash. I did read somewhere (don't recall if it was reference ALFA or general info) that it ISN'T recommended to use a leather OIL type conditioner as it can soak into the leather and may soften the glue. I have used 303 brand in the blue
box that protects the leather from the sun but doesn't soak into the leather and after applying is wiped mostly off and disapears after a few days so it doesn't make the leather glossy. I was trying to avoid making the leather glossy as that causes glare on the windshield which isn't good. Whatever you use just use sparingly. I have a 2015 LE and thus far no issues, however, my car is garaged and rarely sits parked in the sun more than a short time. Heat in a closed car when parked can quickly get extremely hot. If i had to park in the sun like my other cars....I have a reflective shield I put in from of the windshield to keep it cool and the sun off the dash. I have always done this for my car including a ALFA 69 spider I owned for over 40 years that had a perfect dash when I sold it. And that did sit in the sun a lot more. Same result on all my other cars.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,836 Posts
Have a 2015 LE that is garaged and when out in hot sun I have a reflective shield to keep sun off dash. No problems at all although I am religious about using a preventative spray that filters out the sun radiation. Have used the same preventative steps on all my cars and have never had a dash go bad....even on my 69 ALFA spider that I owned for over 40 years.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,836 Posts
Look for "Sun Shade ALFA 4C" at Ebay. There is a company, Intra Tech, that makes them custom fit to the 4C...spider or coupe. Mine is silver and white but you can get Gold or white also. They make them for many cars. The neat part, other than a perfect fit, is that rather than folding like most, it rolls up so easy to stash in trunk. Well made and even has a sewn in edge binding. They are around $40 as I recall...but much higher quality and custom compared to the junk you normally find.

I also use a dash spray called "303 Aerospace Protectorant" that was developed for boats that spend lots of time in hot sun and have exposure to water and salt spray. It isn't glossy once worked into the leather and isn't oily. It works great for rubber, leather, vinyl upholstery, etc. My car is a 2015 and I use it on the dash, door cards (also leather), seat leather parts, rubber window seals, etc. It is a UV protectant material...sort of like UV sun glasses. I spray a little bit on the surface and use a paper towel or microfiber rag to work it in. I also use it on my two kayaks rubber hatches and they are still like new after 10 years of heavy sun.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,836 Posts
Is it safe to assume that the Mopar extended warranty will cover this? The warranty on my 2015 is up next month. I intend to buy the extended warranty either way, but my dash looks great so far so I’m wondering if it would be covered if it pops up (pun not intended) in the future.
You should read the actual warranty and the extended one you are thinking of getting. Depending on who issues it there may be coverage....or not. The warranty may only be for mechanical issues and not body/paint/interior, etc

I echo the earlier comment about doing proper maintenance on the upholstery to prolong its life. My 2015 LE is pristine interior because of my care....but I also avoid parking in hot sun without a window sun reflector. My car is also garaged. My old 1969 Spider had flawless dash and upholstery and I owned that for over 40 years. It wasn't leather but still....used the proper material to keep it clean and protected from sun.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,836 Posts
Have a 2015 LE build. Always garaged but has been out in sun parked...but always with a shield unless just a few minutes. No problems at all thus far. I suspect that most cars when exposed to high heat and sun are going to suffer. I have had a lot of cars in my life including an even larger number of company cars. Without any protection most dash will die......plastic looses its softness as it outgasses and than cracks. Leather dries out, glue gets old....leather cracks or bubbles. Often the underlying foam on dashes sun rots and crumbles.

I do use 303 Aerospace Protectorant which is a product that blocks UV, etc.I use it sparingly on leather dash and leather dash pad and door cards as well as rubber weather stripping. It was designed for boat owners but is great for car upholstery, leather, plastic, rubber. I used it on my previous ALFA....a 1970 spider I bought new and kept for over 40 years including lots of use as a daily driver. I used that product and my dash and original upholstery (both vinyl) was still good as new when I sold it. I avoid the leather conditioners on the dash as I am afraid that those might migrate through the leather and soften the glue.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,836 Posts
A few comments about the leather door cards, upholstery, and dashes. I have a 2015 LE and the dash and door cards are perfect. I avoid Lexol and similar leather dressings like the plague. It soaks into the leather and attacks the glue. I use 303 Aerosol Protectant which won't soak into the leather and protects against UV. I also don't leave the car parked in hot sun for any period without putting reflective shield to keep sun off the dash. I use the same method for years on other cars with leather dash and upholstery and have never had them go bad. As far as the leather used by ALFA....I heard it was by the same supplier Ferrari uses. Can't confirm but I don't think the leather itself is inferior.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,836 Posts
I use a sun reflector on my 2015 LE. No problems at all. I was told by a pro car upholsterer to never rub leather conditioner into dash leather. It migrates through the leather and softens the glue causing bond failure. Instead use a light spray on a cloth of 303 Aerospace Protectant. It blocks UV damage. I have used on other cars for years including an ALFA spider I owned for over 40 years and was like new when I sold it. That car had a plastic material but I saw many of those cars with cracked dash coverings. The 303 is good for upholstery, and rubber window seals. The trick is don't soak the leather..just a very light wipe with the cloth.
303 was designed for marine use which is very harsh.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,836 Posts
The one to get it the one that says Aerospace Protectant. Also rub in into the rubber seals around your side windows.....rub for a while so it works its way i and you may get a bit of black rubber oxidation. Those seals often look a bit beat but the 303 will restore them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts