Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
221 - 240 of 264 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
@rskdsk- Time to get out the power washer and clean under the hood! Our cars get very very dirty under the hood and it is quite a chore to get the hood off to clean.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I see some delamination on my car #21 / 500 and looks like I have to take it in for warranty repair. UGH! I'm nervous they will eff it up and beat on the car. Have any of you who got yours replaced had to deal with rattles and creaks and noises after the installation?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I see some delamination on my car #21 / 500 and looks like I have to take it in for warranty repair. UGH! I'm nervous they will eff it up and beat on the car. Have any of you who got yours replaced had to deal with rattles and creaks and noises after the installation?
My car has no squeaks or rattles (at least nothing it didn't have before lol). I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My dash was replaced a couple years ago and it's just as rattle free as when I got it with no new signs of peeling again. The only issue I had (and I saw someone else here had this happen too) was that one of the two bulbs lighting up the A/C controls was dead. Oh and I did have big rattle that turned out to be 4 leftover screws in the cupholder that the tech forgot. Luckily, I found where they went and screwed them in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow. I am impressed by the amount of knowledge on this forum. I bought my 4C with 5400 miles (2015 Launch) and now with 12K miles. Never left in sun too long, never driven or left excessively in the sun. However, as we all know, this is a car that is seldom driven.
Here are the facts from just reading your comments:
1-Glue applied by hand, 2-This is (sadly) a common issue with 4C, 3-Our 4C's most likely sat in the sun pre-dealer delivery for USA cars, 4-Windshields act like a magnifying glass on the leather causing de-lamination, 5-Our 4C leather is NOT Aniline or semi-aniline leather and therefore more susceptible to having the glue separate it from the dashboard area, 6- It appears that this is a common flaw in the 4C build.
I have separation from the leather portion on the center dash and will be calling the Alfa Romeo 4C concierge service first thing in the morning, to discuss the above points made on this forum. I would like to personally thank everyone for their comments, I believe this is where this forum provides us all with an invaluable service, thank you my "FELLOW 4C OWNERS."
I HAVE AN EXTENDED WARRANTY, IT IS NOT COVERED! Local Alfa dealer said it would cost approximately $5500.00 to repair. My local interior guy, who did my GTV interior and Spider canvas top, who is a genius and a gentleman; said he would not even touch it because of all the electronics in removal process. He also recommended Lexol conditioner, because it will stretch the leather and keep it from separating further on the dash.
I will REPORT back with regards to my results after I speak with the Alfa Romeo concierge service tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Thanks for the information. The issue appears to be on early model years, mostly 2015 and very early manufactured 2016. I haven't heard of any issues on later years. It was previously mentioned that the factory used some faulty adhesive and they changed it on later production years. Please keep us posted. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,321 Posts
Good luck with the enquiry. I think this is an inevitability for those of us with the leather dash (me included). The question is simply the length of time before the separation occurs. An insitu fix is the realistic answer after the warranty expires. Not worth the angst and cost of removing the dash. Looking forward to hearing what transpires. (y)

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
I don't know any extended warranty that would cover what they most likely consider "wear and tear" items. A dash de-laminating is not a mechanical issue.
I thought the extended warranty from FCA was the same as the factory 4 year warranty. Also, I was not aware that dash delamination is normal wear and tear. I guess this is another reason not to get the extended warranty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the premium extended warranty from Alfa Romeo which sadly does not cover this issue. I am still in touch with Alfa Romeo concierge and they have offered labor which is 20% of total cost, approximately 1K. The new replacement dash would cost 3.8K. But, wait there is more, good luck trying to find a competent shop that will tackle the removal and replacement/installment of the aforementioned.
My cost out of pocket if I accept their offer is 3.8K, so do LUXOL the heck out of it and hope the best...wont resolve issue...as glass acts like a magnifying glass on car dash. I believe I will not find a gratifying solution to this dash dilemma and FCA seems unwilling to own up to this flaw in their build.
I may have to close my eyes drop 4K and get it replaced at the dealership and take the concierge's 1K to offset labor costs at dealer for the install. Anyway I slice it, I come "unglued!" Pun intended...lol
Automotive exterior Auto part Windshield Vehicle Car
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Windshield Mode of transport

·
Registered
20 Posts
To conclude my post...After much debating and pleading with the Alfa Romeo 4C Concierge the results are: (1) Alfa or should I say FCA will reimburse 1k of the nearly 5K to replace/install a replacement dashboard on my 4C, (2) The repair shall be completed by an authorized "Alfa Dealer." Do I believe Alfa should do or have done more? Absolutely, I do. So, I am left with Lexol leather conditioner applications. ATTENTION READERS...You have a 4C...I recommend that you condition monthly in order to preserve and prevent separation...Good luck my friends. As 4C fanatics our cars are special and per cPita provide more smiles per miles than any other car period. Until next time my fellow 4C buds.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,789 Posts
A few comments about the leather door cards, upholstery, and dashes. I have a 2015 LE and the dash and door cards are perfect. I avoid Lexol and similar leather dressings like the plague. It soaks into the leather and attacks the glue. I use 303 Aerosol Protectant which won't soak into the leather and protects against UV. I also don't leave the car parked in hot sun for any period without putting reflective shield to keep sun off the dash. I use the same method for years on other cars with leather dash and upholstery and have never had them go bad. As far as the leather used by ALFA....I heard it was by the same supplier Ferrari uses. Can't confirm but I don't think the leather itself is inferior.

221 - 240 of 264 Posts