Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I’m Shinji, new owner of a 2018 4C coupe.

Just realized (from the window sticker) that my car only has standard “sport tune suspension”.

What are the differences between “sport” and “race” tuned suspensions? Is it necessary to upgrade (for mountain driving)? And is there any OEM parts for the upgrade?

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
“Sport tuned” is the base configuration.
“Race tuned” uses about 1mm thicker swaybars front ad rear, and the shocks have different part numbers. It was an up-charge option.
There is a very small difference in ride height between the two options - not something you would notice as “lowered”, though.
We’ve seen photos of the “sport tuned” version on track, and it definitely rolls and dives more than the “race tuned” option. On street, you would have a hard time telling the difference.
Thanks [email protected]!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Save the money and go for an aftermarket. I decided to choose the bilstein. It is like night and day. I am more than happy with it and my garage took the chance to made it street legal in switzerland. Optionally take a rear swaybar if you like.

Reactions: RKBerta

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Save the money and go for an aftermarket. I decided to go with the bilstein. It is like night and day. I am more than happy with it and my garage took the chance to made it street legal for switzerland.
Thanks! Could you please share some links of your setup? And also I searched around, and didn’t find much options for sway bar.

·
Registered
566 Posts
And also I searched around, and didn’t find much options for sway bar.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
489 Posts
Is it necessary to upgrade (for mountain driving)? And is there any OEM parts for the upgrade?
I don't think you will find it necessary to upgrade. I would drive it under your specific use case and see what you think. I think you'll find you would have to far exceed legal speed limits before you start feeling like the stock suspension is letting you down. Unless you are seriously taxing the car (track use) I think you are splitting hairs on stock vs. race. The stock is quite flat through corners. I've had comments on the track from other drivers who noted how flat she is through the corners.

·
Super Moderator
8,479 Posts
My way of thinking is for day to day, backroad motoring a more compliant suspension is preferable to a less compliant one unless your roads are billiard table smooth. It’ll only be on the track that the flatter-riding race suspension will show its superiority. Think too about driving in the rain. A more compliant suspension won’t load up the tyres quite as quickly so will have an inclination to be less twitchy in the wet (given the same tyres).....not that I go out in the rain. ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think you will find it necessary to upgrade. I would drive it under your specific use case and see what you think. I think you'll find you would have to far exceed legal speed limits before you start feeling like the stock suspension is letting you down. Unless you are seriously taxing the car (track use) I think you are splitting hairs on stock vs. race. The stock is quite flat through corners. I've had comments on the track from other drivers who noted how flat she is through the corners.
Yeah, actually when I test driving my car, I can’t feel obvious body roll actually (cornering < 40 mph). Think I need to bring my car to the mountain and then figure out whether it is necessary.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Does anyone have experience driving the sport v race suspension cars back to back? Would be interested if you can pick up a difference in non-track driving.

·
Super Moderator
16,229 Posts
Does anyone have experience driving the sport v race suspension cars back to back? Would be interested if you can pick up a difference in non-track driving.
I can help to answer that as I "sort of" have one of each. My base suspension has been updated with the swaybars from the race package, and I only drove it a short distance as bone stock, though.

On the street, I really think that you would have to be superhuman to really notice the difference. Road condition and tires would make more of a difference to the ride than the suspension does, IMHO. But on the track the race version is flatter in corners. Both still dive a lot under heavy braking - I'm not sure that the race suspension dives any less than the sport, and my swaybar mods would not have affected that behaviour. It's still a flat car compared to most - partly due to its width, and also because the sport suspension is still far from what you would call compliant.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually on the day I bought my car, before test driving the 18’ coupe, I tested a LE from another dealership. It made me feel that the LE is more bumpy on the road. (Might because of the road condition is worse)

And the newer car is just stable, think it’s a little bit more comfortable. Anyway, the center exhaust & newer condition were actually the key points of my decision.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Major difference between the sports suspension vs the race suspension. The car drives really crappy without the race suspension. You should buy the OEM race suspension kit, which was available on ebay and mopar. It was only $350 for the entire kit with the 4 shocks and sway bars. Someone on the facebook group was also selling recently. If you are not going to track the car, no need to spend 2k+ for the aftermarket option.. My first 4C came with the race suspension, so when I bought my second 4c without the race suspension, I was shocked.. I changed after a few hundred miles..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Major difference between the sports suspension vs the race suspension. The car drives really crappy without the race suspension. You should buy the OEM race suspension kit, which was available on ebay and mopar. It was only $350 for the entire kit with the 4 shocks and sway bars. Someone on the facebook group was also selling recently. If you are not going to track the car, no need to spend 2k+ for the aftermarket option.. My first 4C came with the race suspension, so when I bought my second 4c without the race suspension, I was shocked.. I changed after a few hundred miles..
Thanks a lot! It would be great if you can share the links.

·
Super Moderator
16,229 Posts
Honestly, I do not believe that this had anything to do with the type of suspension that the car had.
There was either something wrong with the suspension in the base car, or the alignment that would have to be done after the change solved the problem.

There was nothing wrong with my car with the sport suspension. I upgraded the swaybars because it is a track car and someone near me was selling their race pack swaybars. The car drives brilliantly with the sport shocks. But the alignment is critical. As is proper tire inflation.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Honestly, I do not believe that this had anything to do with the type of suspension that the car had.
There was either something wrong with the suspension in the base car, or the alignment that would have to be done after the change solved the problem.

There was nothing wrong with my car with the sport suspension. I upgraded the swaybars because it is a track car and someone near me was selling their race pack swaybars. The car drives brilliantly with the sport shocks. But the alignment is critical. As is proper tire inflation.
I found the front suspension to be too soft, caster was set to OEM specs, non race suspension ..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts