Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 4c and Stelvio
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't drive for 5 minutes without the rear becoming dusty. The exhaust doesn't create much, just seems like road pickup/drafts. Anyone have a solution?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Drive like this?? (2min mark)

·
Administrator
16,974 Posts
Airflow / particles over plastic panels. Like rubbing a balloon, perhaps?
'
I notice a lot of exhaust soot on the back of my white car, so that is part of it. But certainly any dust on the road gets lifted up and enough is deposited back there too.
Not sure what the solution is. lpspeedster's option # 2 might be worth a try.

It's the car's aerodynamics working - the ductail creating a low pressure area behind the car, sufficient to evacuate the air from underneath the body. Unfortunately, it lifts up any bit of road particles that have been disturbed, with it.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Airflow / particles over plastic panels. Like rubbing a balloon, perhaps?
'
I notice a lot of exhaust soot on the back of my white car, so that is part of it. But certainly any dust on the road gets lifted up and enough is deposited back there too.
Not sure what the solution is. lpspeedster's option # 2 might be worth a try.

It's the car's aerodynamics working - the ductail creating a low pressure area behind the car, sufficient to evacuate the air from underneath the body. Unfortunately, it lifts up any bit of road particles that have been disturbed, with it.
my Option # 1 = 100% Effective :p
my Option # 2 = I have had some success with these types of products, waxes, etc.
Aero most definitely has an impact....if anyone drives a hatchback vs. a "tapered" rear sloped vehicle they would most likely notice the differences in dust/dirt accumulation between the two.
I'm willing to bet there might even be slight dust accumulation differences between coupe/spider and exhaust systems (how/where they heat up certain parts of the rear end).

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
You live in a hot dry part of America ? Even here in England when it’s summer there is dust on my car, if I go out in the garage at night and shine a bright torch over it it really shows up the dust. Have you tried a blower?

·
Registered
242 Posts
This is also a by product of modern design with much shorter overhangs than in days bygone. The tail of the family '76 Impala stayed amazing clean--long overhang, and a chrome bumper!

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I'll say this: While the rear picks up dust, it distributes it evenly and lightly. Seems to spread out to all areas. Had a VW GTI that would deposit all the crap onto the top of the impact bumper and it'd be a meter-long collection of dirt... always black. Damn it was never clean.

If the air was more turbulent back there, it'd be cleaner.

This is the solution, which also produces all the downforce and more:

·
Super Moderator
9,654 Posts
The underside of the car acts as a vacuum cleaner. No one has mentioned the dust that collects in the engine bay, especially on the flat area on the engine side of the firewall.

There’s the problem will electrostatics on the paintwork too.

If you’ve ever followed a 4C on a slightly dusty bitumen road it might remind you of the Peanuts character, Pigpen. The dust isn’t only disturbed by the wheels but by the whole low, flat underside. The dust then gets sucked (I know there’s no such thing as ‘suck’ in physics) up into the engine compartment.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
The underside of the car acts as a vacuum cleaner. No one has mentioned the dust that collects in the engine bay, especially on the flat area on the engine side of the firewall.

There’s the problem will electrostatics on the paintwork too.

If you’ve ever followed a 4C on a slightly dusty bitumen road it might remind you of the Peanuts character, Pigpen. The dust isn’t only disturbed by the wheels but by the whole low, flat underside. The dust then gets sucked (I know there’s no such thing as ‘suck’ in physics) up into the engine compartment.
So if dust is getting sucked upwards then this is because of low pressure being created, meaning we have downforce ? This is a good thing then, over a certain speed I’m sure we start feeling more uplift though .

·
Administrator
16,974 Posts
Unless your car is fully wrapped, it’s definitely scratching. Not gouges, but it’ll leave swirls in the clear coat.
Considering that looking at Rosso Alfa paint without wearing sunglasses will leave swirls, yeah, I bet any form of duster will start to affect the clear.
Unless you have a proper ceramic coating (not a DIY product) - that's what they are best for.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have to agree, the California Duster creates job security for high end detailers.

It IS putting micro scratches and swirls in the finish, which will be evident in the right lighting conditions.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts