Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how? I have upgraded to a locking differential and would prefer no intervention by the electronics. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should be able to disable it from the body computer by programming being pre 2018. Any tool that does the proxy alignment should allow you to do it.

Alternatively you could connect a single wheel sensor into a cheap opto isolator feeding the the inputs. That would trick the car into seeing the same signal from each sensor input.
These ideas seem promising. Has anyone actually done it?

·
Administrator
17,395 Posts
So, Jamie will sell you a LSD but is not able to disable this?
Seems counterproductive.

Race mode will loosen it up the most.

@Niklas @GMS any experience here?
Rudi is in the process of installing one and want to sell them, so I’m hoping he will have some ideas here (if not yet, then soon). I suspect that Niklas’ build must have come against this by now.

·
Super Moderator
10,126 Posts
Seems counterproductive.

Rudi is in the process of installing one and want to sell them, so I’m hoping he will have some ideas here (if not yet, then soon). I suspect that Niklas’ build must have come against this by now.
Niklas posted about it here. Post #65.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Seems counterproductive.

Here’s the thing. The Wavetac needs a wheel to slip enough before it even begins to lock because that inertia is what rotates the cams on the wavehub and locks the diff.
The e-diff will be meddling with the ABS long before the Wavetrac locks.
I’m going to look into this wiring hack.

Edit. In fact, it’s very likely the e-diff will indeed brake the slipping wheel and stop it generating the force to lock the diff. I bet it stops the wavetrac ever locking.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Since my previous post I've spent a bit of time looking at the various electronic sensors and the yaw sensor is what you want to disable or remove if you want to retain ABS.

That sensor is watching the rotation and lateral acceleration of the chassis and using the brakes to control the rotation and rotation speed.

The sensor is on the CAN-C bus (the car's data network) so if you can see it listed on the OBD2 tool you are using try to disable/remove it in the proxy configuration.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know how? I have upgraded to a locking differential and would prefer no intervention by the electronics. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
17,395 Posts
See also post 65 in this thread:

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That post is incorrect. We absolutely do have an E-diff system and it absolutely will prevent the Wavetrac diff locking since the E-diff brakes any wheel even thinking about spinning. The wavetrac needs the inertia of a slipping wheel to lock.

·
Registered
181 Posts
That post is incorrect. We absolutely do have an E-diff system and it absolutely will prevent the Wavetrac diff locking since the E-diff brakes any wheel even thinking about spinning. The wavetrac needs the inertia of a slipping wheel to lock.
I think he’s referring to the fact it’s not an ‘E Diff’ (electronically controlled clutch packs and cleverness for torque vectoring) but it’s just simulating a diff by braking the wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think he’s referring to the fact it’s not an ‘E Diff’ (electronically controlled clutch packs and cleverness for torque vectoring) but it’s just simulating a diff by braking the wheels.
Yeah he must of thought that I thought we had a torque vectoring actuated LSD… and that I want to disable it now I swapped it out for a wavetrac… cos that makes sense.

·
Administrator
17,395 Posts
Just so that we are all on the same page, this is what we are talking about, right?

Font Number Writing Circle Document

·
Registered
371 Posts
This does not correlate with my observations(not data) when driving in D and open diff/e-diff. It allows some wheel spin before output is choked. So if LSD correct earlier, it should work.

Edit: sure it’s not regular anti spin that interferes, or are you 100% sure only one wheel spin?

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This does not correlate with my observations(not data) when driving in D and open diff/e-diff. It allows some wheel spin before output is choked. So if LSD correct earlier, it should work.

Edit: sure it’s not regular anti spin that interferes, or are you 100% sure only one wheel spin?
Lets say for arguments sake that the wavetrac does lock, both wheels spinning… the “e-diff” will interfere, I fear. I suspect it will brake both wheels. The guy who said it won’t/doesn’t may only drive in race mode and it has been suggested that race mode disabled or diminishes it effect.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just so that we are all on the same page, this is what we are talking about, right?

View attachment 122064
They lie. It isn’t “distributed optimally between the drive wheels”. An open differential can only drive one or the other wheel and that’s hardly optimum. I think they meant as well as possible with an open differential.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,350 Posts
I am curious just how the stock E Diff does work in R mode? The reason I ask....I tried a burn out in a straight line on clean good surface when I first got the car and noted that it would light up both tires leaving equal length skid marks. If one wheel was first spinning, does that wheel get braked a bit and shift power to the other wheel or is it just chocked back. If that were the case I would think you would feel the actual power cut and it would be very obvious as a pause in acceleration or the car would not continue to burn rubber with both tires. I figure there must be a computer doing very fast transfer of power as needed as one wheel spins faster than the other...but in a very fast manner so each tire can maintain an equal speed to the other tire.

I don't know if the Giulia and Stelvio Quads use the same type of an E diff but do remember that a couple of early examples on those Quads had an issue of the E diff stopping working after some hot laps on track as it overheated. I wonder if that might be the case on the 4C for those tracking their cars mentioned at one point the inner tire would spin. The Wave Trac would be an answer but wondering if our E diff as is might negate the Wave Trac as it would work before the Wave Trac could engage and lock up as some others mentioned in posts above.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts