Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those considering swapping out your stock Bosch coilpack for an upgraded coil pack like the Okadas/Ignition Projects Plasma Coil Packs or needing access to the spark plugs for replacement or upgrade, here is my DIY for the coilpack removal process. :)

1. Remove your engine cover to expose the engine's surface.
2. Locate the 4 coilpacks and start right to left.
3. Find tiny hole in the yellow tab

4. Using a poke tool, wedge the tip into the yellow tab hole and gently extract the yellow tab outwards. Note that this yellow retaining tab will disengage the harness lock but does NOT come all the way out and off.

5. Using your thumb, depress the black tab above the yellow tab.

6. While anchoring the coilpack in your right hand, use your left hand (while depressing black tab) to break vacuum seal to disengage coilpack harness.

7. Using a 10mm rachet, remove the coilpack anchor bolt.

8. Firmly grasping the top of the coilpack, pull coilpack straight up. There will be a vacuum effect of the coilpack boot over the spark plug.

9. Now, you access to the spark plug as well.

10. To reinstall coilpack, simply reverse the process. :)

·
Administrator
19,031 Posts
Nice. I think that I could even follow this. I'd make a proper balls-up of it, but I'd be able to follow it!
Link added to the technical reference thread.

That's one heck of a bolt holding the coil in place!

I take it you have abandoned the Alfa warranty, and have no concerns about things like transmission problems (or is that going to be updated as well), engine issues down the road, etc.?
You obviously know what you are doing, but in my own case, I'm scared of the non-stealth mods on a car this new until we know what its weaknesses are.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Nice. I think that I could even follow this. I'd make a proper balls-up of it, but I'd be able to follow it!
Link added to the technical reference thread.

That's one heck of a bolt holding the coil in place!

I take it you have abandoned the Alfa warranty, and have no concerns about things like transmission problems (or is that going to be updated as well), engine issues down the road, etc.?
You obviously know what you are doing, but in my own case, I'm scared of the non-stealth mods on a car this new until we know what its weaknesses are.
Replacing the coil pack should not void warranty...I'm just saying

·
Administrator
19,031 Posts
Replacing the coil pack should not void warranty...I'm just saying
Probably true - i don't know - but it was a more overall comment knowing the extent to which the car is being modified.

I'm certainly in awe of the project, and the ability and enthusiasm with which Docron is approaching it!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used Okadas/IP plasma coilpacks in my Abarth and they worked great especially when running *hotter* tunes... ;)
Also, you get improved gas mileage and less chance of spark quench/flame out....

In the Abarth, we have pretty unreliable and crappy Beru coilpacks therefore, the Okadas are much more appreciated and beneficial IMO albeit they cost $850 for 4.

In the 4C, we do have better Bosch coilpacks (probably P65 Single Fire) but I love my Okadas so this was a must for me in my 4C. Ironically, the Okadas for the 4C were *slightly* cheaper than the Abarths... Lol.

Reactions: 4Canada

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is it worth upgrading the coilpacks in the 4c? whats are the advantages?
Worth it is a matter of perspective. :)
Plasma Coilpacks is more of an engine efficiency enhancement.

In the 4C with the stock Bosch coilpacks, the Okadas might be overkill BUT I will eventually be running Eurocompulsion's Euro+Drive Phase 2 (projected 300+ whp), their V2 intake and whatever else we can safely do to unleash the car's BEAST mode. So, enhancing and optimizing the ignition components with improved coilpacks and colder plugs like [email protected]'s BRISK Iridiums or Race plugs will only assist in the hotter tunes and power delivery. BTW, [email protected] has access to the Okadas.

What's also very interesting is that the Okadas have proven to increase gas mileage even with spirited driving probably because of a more consistent spark and efficient fuel burn. I experienced this in my Abarth that had Okadas.

But, if someone is running the stock tune, there is probably no need for upgrading the coilpacks IMHO. :)

Here is info copy and pasted from Okada Plasma Direct product description about their Plasma Coilpacks.

PLASMA DIRECT (PAT)

A revolution in ignition technology!!
The Plasma Direct is the ignition coil with a high power amplifier built in to it.
The Plasma Directs produce 4 times more spark energy than stock coils and also generate an ultra fast multi spark discharge of 10 sparks up to highest RPM.
The spark amperage is increased 100%, allowing the spark to reach many more molecules and therefore accelerate the ignition and combustion process. This is extremely important in forced induction applications but also improves the performance of normally aspirated engines.

The Plasma Direct will increase horsepower and torque throughout the entire rpm range. This upgrade will also reduce fuel consumption. Even the engines with a legendary smoothness will be further refined with the Plasma Direct upgrade. Our Plasma Directs are OBD II compliant.

Installation is easy. Direct bolt-in to the engine, no splicing or cutting into stock wiring, simply replace the stock coils with our Plasma Direct Coils and ready to go!

·
Administrator
19,031 Posts
And here was me telling my wife that the 4C would be all the car I ever wanted. And now there's you and this forum selling me on yet another mod I never knew I needed.
This. Half of me wants to BAN Docron and delete his posts, for the sake of my wallet and my marriage.
The other half is telling me to keep his posts and delete everything else on the forum that gets in the way of reading about upgrades that I shouldn't even be considering.

Dilemma, dilemma.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And....they're so pretty...it's a shame they will be covered up eventually by the engine cover.... :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.