Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been meaning to do this for awhile, and just haven't had time.

I did this about a month ago, so I'm going somewhat from memory.

First off in regard to picking the car up, see my post in this thread (post #12 )

http://4c-forums.com/27-usa/8586-us-dealer-oil-change-costs-2.html

In regards to what oil to use, there is some good information in this thread. The "approved" oil in the US is Pennzoil Euro Formula 5w40 (full synthetic).

http://4c-forums.com/16-engine-technical/17537-any-oil-nuts-here.html

All the usual disclaimers apply with regard to safety when working under a car, lifting it correctly, etc. Our cars are not too easy to pick up by conventional methods available to the average weekend garage warrior. I have a fully equipped shop with a lift, and all the tools that comes with 30 some years of repairing all flavors of Alfa, Ferrari's, BMW's and Etceterini's professionally.

Ok, so once the car is in the air, you need to remove the large aluminum cover under the engine. It's held in with 14 T-30 bolts. Once the bolts are removed you slide towards the rear, drop the front and pull it forward. (I could have this backwards)

This panel is surprisingly heavy given how light our cars are.

Next you'll see the drain plug, on the bottom of the sump, 17mm I believe.

Loosen this, no need to remove it at this time as it is a hollow bolt with a hole in the side to allow the oil to drain in a controlled fashion. Still, thoughtfully it drains right on top of one of the frame rails.

After most of the oil has drained, remove the plug and let the rest drain, Inspect the drain plug gasket on the plug, if the neoprene seal on it looks ok, its probably safe to re-use it. There is some debate as to whether this type of drain plug gasket can be re-used. My opinion is it can at least a few times.

Install the drain plug and torque to 1.8 - 2.2 da-Nm (13-16 ft-lbs) as per the manual. Resist the urge to over-tighten this as it is a hollow plug.

You can reach up and grab the oil filter, I was able to loosen it without using a filter wrench. Its a little awkward to reach but not too bad.

Oil Filter gets torqued to 1.4 - 1.7 da-Nm (10-12 ft-lbs) with a thin film of clean oil on the gasket.

Clean all the excess oil that spilled on the frame rail and up around the oil filter.

Fill with 6 quarts of oil, start the engine briefly, make sure the oil light goes out, shut it off and check for leaks around the filter (doesn't happen often, but it does occasionally happen).

Re-install the cover under the engine. Be careful installing the bolts, some of them felt like they wanted to cross-thread. Oddly I was not able to find a torque spec for these. Typically the standard torque for a 6mm x 1.0 bolt is 10 Nm or 82 in-lbs. As long they are snug they should be fine as it is not a structural member.

Part number for the oil filter is: 0055256371 - 001 (or Mopar 68237532 - AA)

Part Number for the Drain plug Gasket is: 55196309 (Mopar 68098272 - AA)

I know it's weird that the parts seem to have both Alfa and mopar part numbers.

As of this time the only source(s) for the oil filter are your friendly dealer, or Centerline. Although it's a Mann filter, its not available through aftermarket channels as of yet.

Jeff

·
Registered
809 Posts
alfaguy, not trying to be a know-it-all here...but unless i'm wrong that oil doesn't meet Fiat 9.55535-GH2 and it isn't ACEA C3 compatible (being the C3 the oil intended as catalyst compatible).

Who recommended that one?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Thank you for making this thread. It will prove most helpful when that time rolls around for many of us. Any problem with backing the car up on ramps and changing the oil that way? That has worked on my Porsche and Lotus in the past so I figure it will work on this as well.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
alfaguy, not trying to be a know-it-all here...but unless i'm wrong that oil doesn't meet Fiat 9.55535-GH2 and it isn't ACEA C3 compatible (being the C3 the oil intended as catalyst compatible).

You know, I try to be helpful and I get flamed, geez :)

Anyway, I can't find it now, but somewhere I was able to cross the Fiat spec to a Chrysler spec, which this oil meets.

Also, the oil that the dealers are using is Pennzoil, this is the only full synthetic pennzoil 5w40 out there.

Amsoil is also ok, more info in the linked thread at the top of my post regarding this, I'm probably going to switch to amsoil at my next oil change, but at the time I did this a month ago or so this was what I found.'

Just noticed that amsoil has updated their product finder and show an approved oil, which meets the same specs as penzloil if you compare the data sheets.

Alfa also lists mobil one 5w40 as an acceptable oil, except that (at least in the US) Mobil one does not offer a 5w40 that meets the required specs.

Jeff

·
Registered
809 Posts
It was not a flame, at least it wasn't my intent and i thank you for the DIY, it's well done.

It's just that concerning the oil, Alfa Romeo already changed in the past from the Selenia PE to Selenia Sport Power after some blown turbos on the Giulietta Quadrifoglio Verde (they have also changed the turbo oil feed pipe to one with increased thermal insulation).

I would rather not hear/read about similar issues on the 4C due to the oil used. :laugh:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Awesome post. I wish I had access to a lift so I could do this myself as well. In California, that is a pretty tough thing to come by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
Alfaguy posted the same pick of the oil that we use here when doing oil services on our Alfa's and Maserati's

Nice info for the DYI guy's out there Alfaguy.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It was not a flame, at least it wasn't my intent and i thank you for the DIY, it's well done.

It's just that concerning the oil, Alfa Romeo already changed in the past from the Selenia PE to Selenia Sport Power after some blown turbos on the Giulietta Quadrifoglio Verde (they have also changed the turbo oil feed pipe to one with increased thermal insulation).

I would rather not hear/read about similar issues on the 4C due to the oil used. :laugh:
Well, I stand corrected. Your post made me dig deeper into this.

So it seems the big thing with the oil standard for our cars is the ACEA C3.

Various mfr's of oil are all over the place with their recommendations. The amsoil product finder now lists the 4c, (which it didn't until recently) but is showing a full saps oil that does not meet the ACEA C3. Must be a mistake on their part as their 5w40 euro mid saps oil does.

The Penzoil 5w40 that I referenced does not meet the ACEA C3, as I called Penzoil this morning. He was aware that the fiat/Chrysler dealers are using their products but did not know which one. They do have a 5w30 that meets ACEA C3?

One of the application charts I found is a bit confusing. At first glance it appears that this does meet the standard, but look closely, and it's only the 5w30. See here:

http://www.noln.net/sites/default/files/SpecialtyMotorOil_Online[2].pdf

I asked two different dealerships what they were using for oil and was told it was Penzoil. Seeing it calls for a 5w40, this was the only Penzoil product available in that weight.

I'm going to change over to the amsoil ...

Jeff

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alfaguy posted the same pick of the oil that we use here when doing oil services on our Alfa's and Maserati's

Nice info for the DYI guy's out there Alfaguy.
Really?

If the oil I originally referenced is what the dealerships are using than there is either:

a) A bulletin out to that effect saying that this oil is ok.

b) The dealerships are not paying attention and just putting the wrong oil in.

c) the dealerships are using the penzoil 5w30 which is the wrong weight but the correct spec

d) in the typical Italian fashion, they just don't care ;)

Anybody here who works for a dealer who would care to elaborate?

Jeff

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for making this thread. It will prove most helpful when that time rolls around for many of us. Any problem with backing the car up on ramps and changing the oil that way? That has worked on my Porsche and Lotus in the past so I figure it will work on this as well.
My only issues with using ramps are:

1) it can be a little hard on the clutch, probably not enough to matter if done occasionally and carefully.

2) the engine under tray is kind of large and heavy, so it might be difficult to wrestle with lying on your back, but doable. I'm spoiled having access to my own lift, and at 53 I find crawling around under cars difficult, but that's me and my abused body from 30 plus years of doing this. (Heck I find getting out of my car a struggle sometimes :wink2:

3) with the car on ramps, and not sitting level, due to the location of the drain plug, you won't get all the oil out.

Jeff

·
Registered
93 Posts

That's interesting. It may be the SAPS content, related to protecting the emission system vs sulfated ash, phosphorus, and sulfur content reflective of the usual wear protectants.
Just FYI, Amsoil Euro 5w40 Mid Saps is C3 compliant, if one is so inclined. I'm not an Amsoil dealer JSYK

·
Registered
93 Posts
You know, I try to be helpful and I get flamed, geez :)

Anyway, I can't find it now, but somewhere I was able to cross the Fiat spec to a Chrysler spec, which this oil meets.

Also, the oil that the dealers are using is Pennzoil, this is the only full synthetic pennzoil 5w40 out there.

Amsoil is also ok, more info in the linked thread at the top of my post regarding this, I'm probably going to switch to amsoil at my next oil change, but at the time I did this a month ago or so this was what I found.'

Just noticed that amsoil has updated their product finder and show an approved oil, which meets the same specs as penzloil if you compare the data sheets.

Alfa also lists mobil one 5w40 as an acceptable oil, except that (at least in the US) Mobil one does not offer a 5w40 that meets the required specs.

Jeff
I may be responsible for that :) I emailed Amsoil and confirmed that Amsoil 5w-40 Euro Mid Saps is C3 compliant. I just put it in at 1K. I will have the oil tested and report back on findings. JSYK, the first test showed some gasoline dilution of the oil, which has me a little concerned. HTH

·
Registered
673 Posts
From reading on BITOG it seems that for high performance petrol engines the ACEA A3 designation as opposed to C3 is the better one to go for. Essentially all other european high performance cars use it or some manufacturer specific recommendation that closely mirrors it. Thoughts?

·
Registered
800 Posts
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]"The same applies with this car as do the others you run. C3 is the highest level of the “Low SAPS oils”. I would recommend a medium SAPs product which is Duron E Synthetic 5W-40 and is in stock in 4x4 litres and 12 x 1. I use this in my Mazda and the difference was the most significant I have ever noticed."

This is a reply from a friend of mine after I asked if he stocked a ACEA-C3 engine oil. I'm still slightly confused about the difference between low and mid SAPS when it comes to using it in the 4C engine so I'll be quizzing him about this. I've used Petro Canada oils in my Alfas for years (he is a UK distributor) after his recommendation. He is quite knowlegeable when it comes to oils so it will be interesting to see what he has to say. I believe the SAPS content is to do with being kind to the catalalyst and low SAPS is primarily for the most recent engines. Anyone have any comments regarding this?

AlfaArnold
[/FONT]

·
Registered
673 Posts
There has been a fair amount of discussion on this topic if you will search for it. Additionally, I started a conversation about this topic with people much smarter than myself here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3957007/Alfa_Romeo_4C:_ACEA_C3?#Post3957007

Consensus is essentially ACEA C3 for Europe and ACEA A3 for the USA. Since that thread on BITOG someone here helpfully pointed out to me that the oil recommended for the USA, a Pennzoil product, falls more in line with the A3 spec vs C3, hence the previous sentence. Speculation is that it is due to the sulfur content of our gasoline over here vs your petrol in Europe. C3 oil is relatively new here in the States. I am personally distrustful of it as its formulation is to benefit emission control devices at the expense of actual engine lubrication. I personally will choose protecting my engines over coddling my catalytic converter everyday of the week.

My 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 189 Posts