Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After incurring a $1,400 bill to replace rodent damage to the wiring of my wife's car i jumped on the internet to learn more about this problem. it seems that many of the car manufacturers decided to go "green" a few years back and replaced the petroleum based wire insulation with a soy based wire insulation. Rodent damage of auto wiring has always been a problem in the past but with new soy based insulation the problem has exploded. Seems the rodents are not only attracted to it but it's also nutritious. Win-Win for Mickey Mouse. The Asian manufacturers (Toyota, Honda, Kia and Hyundai) seem to be hit the hardest with many class action lawsuits so it will be interesting how this plays out. Side note, it seems some insurance companies will pay for this repair but for how long. How many claims need to be filed before they start denying claims because they feel it is a manufacturer problem. .

ok, i bring this up because many of our 4C's are not daily drivers and many sit for days and/or weeks without use. Some of our cars are kept outside. The lack of use is the key reason rodents will stick around and nest or eat our cars wiring. So does anyone know if our wiring is soy based or not?. .

Reactions: 4Canada

·
Registered
192 Posts
There was an owner on the 4C Fanatics Facebook page that had mice go to town on his 4C in a detached garage. When he went to start it up in Spring, the car's dash lit up like a Christmas tree and ended up being towed. It's not a common occurrence, but it can happen.

To be clear, this problem exists for ALL modern cars -- it's not a manufacturer-specific issue. Those brands that you mentioned just happen to be manufactured in very large numbers and cars built for the global market are required to be recyclable. While mice love chewing on wires in general, unfortunately, the soy-based insulation is especially tasty.

You can file an insurance claim for this kind of damage. If you want to prevent it from happening in the first place, adopt a cat. We've got four and any mouse on the property doesn't live very long.

·
Administrator
17,255 Posts
I agree that it can affect any car. Maybe some are worse than others, but I recall a friend's early 1980's Merc convertible becoming a mouse smorgasbord.

Instead of worrying about it, the answer is to do all you can to avoid the problem.

Clean up grass and leaves, mulch and any other cover close to openings in the garage (man door and car door).

Seal up any other openings, regardless of where they are or how small. A mouse can climb up a wall and enter a building in an un-caulked opening around a light fixture, soffit, or exhaust pipe that is the size of a dime.

Keep the garage floor clean and the space un-cluttered.

Traps are a good idea. Poison less so as they go somewhere to die (often not an accessible place, where the smell will linger for weeks). Poison also often affects higher order predators such as raptors, foxes, dogs or cats.

Putting certain scents around the car is said to help. Irish Spring soap, mint, or citrus are rumoured to be effective in keeping mice away.

If you park outside, don't do so near piles of leaves, brush or grass, and cut the grass near your parking area. Mice don't like to be exposed.

Don't keep food or open garbage in your vehicle or in the garage.

I've had the issue in several cars. Not the 4C (yet - touch wood). But Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Dodge and Chevrolet were all nibbled to various extents.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I am a fan of cats, only ignorant people don’t appreciate how most farms here have a farm cat or two to keep vermin away, even boats used to have a cat on board , it’s not rocket science. Dogs are becoming more of a problem in the U.K. generally, they kill more wildlife than hunting dogs and are wreaking havoc on ground nesting birds etc, one Killed a famous seal in London the other day, the dog was off the lead, caused a lot of anger.. But people only want to believe what they want.

·
Super Moderator
9,933 Posts
I am a fan of cats, only ignorant people don’t appreciate how most farms here have a farm cat or two to keep vermin away, even boats used to have a cat on board , it’s not rocket science. Dogs are becoming more of a problem in the U.K. generally, they kill more wildlife than hunting dogs and are wreaking havoc on ground nesting birds etc, one Killed a famous seal in London the other day, the dog was off the lead, caused a lot of anger.. But people only want to believe what they want.
Here it’s the opposite. Most of our native fury critters are nocturnal (to beat the heat) so become prey to nocturnal cats which have become the top terrestrial predator in many ecosystems. The trouble is cat owners who let their cats out at night and the extensive feral cat population wreaking havoc. Different countries with different climates and different native fauna with different problems. We’ve also had a plague of mice out West and a few cats in the yard wouldn’t make a scrap of difference. In Oz we’ve had Fires, floods, the plague and pestilence....no famine or war yet.) Ensuring your garage is sealed is the best bet along with repellant and traps. I wouldn’t trust a cat not to jump all over a car if locked in a garage....I’m thinking deja vu with another thread that got a little out of hand with cat lovers v cat not likers very much at all.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Yeah I don't want to go back to that thread, I hate conflict. I still think we as humans can't blame other creatures for the damage done when we are the biggest hypocrites on the planet, all of our footprints are massive compared to smaller animals.

But anyway good job I have George who seems to keep these big mice we have in England under control, it would eat the whole 4C given the chance lol -

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
Here it’s the opposite. Most of our native fury critters are nocturnal (to beat the heat) so become prey to nocturnal cats which have become the top terrestrial predator in many ecosystems. The trouble is cat owners who let their cats out at night and the extensive feral cat population wreaking havoc. Different countries with different climates and different native fauna with different problems. We’ve also had a plague of mice out West and a few cats in the yard wouldn’t make a scrap of difference. In Oz we’ve had Fires, floods, the plague and pestilence....no famine or war yet.) Ensuring your garage is sealed is the best bet along with repellant and traps. I wouldn’t trust a cat not to jump all over a car if locked in a garage....I’m thinking deja vu with another thread that got a little out of hand with cat lovers v cat not likers very much at all.
I obviously missed this thread, lol. Not trying to dig it up though. Let’s let sleeping “animals” lie 😂😂😂

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
382 Posts
I had a rat eat through the styrofoam around the AC unit in the bonnet.

After that - put all dog food stored in garage in locked containers.

Now I have traps, poison, and a very clean garage.

I was lucky my cost for the styrofoam was $90 because the bonnet was already off for the service.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I Hope your cat is hungry....

Reactions: Alfanut

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Bumping this thread up for a couple of reasons:

Met two Alfisti who had Giulia wiring chewed on and needed major work and some insurance headaches.

With cold weather just ahead, for those sitting up here on the right side of the planet, and pleasure cars about to sit more, critters gonna be scoping out some food and shelter. Don't make your 4C either!

See upthread for natural mint deterrent.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,264 Posts
No problem with mice here in Michigan for me....but....I manage an astronomy laboratory and mice were always getting into the bulding. No problem with them gnawing on various wiring insulation but they got into drawers and tore up a lot of books,etc....guess they use the paper for nests. We tried all kinds of electronic devices to scare them off. Some were simple and others quite expensive....in the end none of them worked. Final solution was to use metal sheething to block every possible entrance and crack into the building. That seems to be working but all you need is a tiny opening or crack under a door and they can get it. I heard that the mint deterrent as Philster mentioned may work. I also heard of putting dryer sheets in various places as they don't like the smell....but don't know how long they would last before having to change them out.
I swear that once the mice heard the sounds from the electronic mice chasers we tried they turned the observatory into a disco. Besides mice and rats....if you have squirrels in your area they are at least as bad. My neighborhood has lots of squirrels. The neighbor across the street had almost $300 of outdoor lighting destroyed by squirrels last year. They also cause a lot of other damage. He and I and another neighbor have resorted to squirrel traps that catch them and than we take them to parks and relesase. They could be another hazard to car wiring if parked outside. By the way mice, rats, and squirrels can transmit disease to humans and pets.
I don't know if the 4C wiring is soy based but do know hat there are some class action suits against some manufacturers for this issue.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Don't have a mouse problem here in Michigan, but when I had a house in California, it was a problem. I had them in the attic and under the house. Went to Ace Hardware for some expert advice. While there, a little girl walked up and said that Daddy uses moth balls. I took her advice & threw some in the attic & under the house. A few days later, no mice. Replaced them every year. Quick, simple, easy. The mice don't die in the house. They just leave for parts unknown. If I was afraid of them damaging my car I would place a few in the engine bay & under the car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts