Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even at maximum chill settings, the output of the air conditioning on my 4C can at best be charitably described as bordering on cool. This will present a problem come Texas summer.

I'm going to bring it up at the one year service but am interested in the experience of others. Does your AC actually produce cold air or is the dealership going to be telling me the truth if their answer is "they are all like that"?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mine actually works pretty well. There is no real fine-tuning though. It's either ice cold or lukewarm.

Also, my A/C smells like mold when i first turn it on, but that's another problem...

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Mine does "pretty well." I doesn't produce a lot of cold air if I'm idling and not moving. But a bit of car movement to get air through the condenser and it becomes quite effective. Works for me, but I'll bet you have to put up with a lot more stop-and-go traffic than I do.

BTW, I have pretty dark tinting on the windows. That makes a difference.

·
Registered
678 Posts
i live in South Florida and it's rainy, humid and hot summer right now and my blows cold. The trick is as the above owners mention is that it works best when you are moving. i would compare it to my Mini Cooper S where it functions very similar. Cold when moving, a little stuffy when in traffic. i just close the outside air vent and it seems to help.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,071 Posts
My 2015 LE coupe blows plenty cold and comfortable in the recent 90+ temperatures here. Don't forget there is a slide control on the heater panel to select outside air or recirculating inside air. Should be set all the way to one or the other....not in the middle. Once operating I rarely need to set the fan to more than the middle position.

·
Super Moderator
6,844 Posts
In Oz we share temps at least as harsh as Texas. Can't say the aircon chills at 45deg C but it is comfortably cool.

·
Super Moderator
14,736 Posts
And if it's still not working in your application, consider some tint (even a light, ceramic one) perhaps?
The car is small, but has a lot of glass for the cabin volume. It doesn't take a lot of cold air to initially bring the cabin temp down, but you are fighting solar gain all the time.

Be sure to put the slider all the way to "recirculate" at first, to rapidly bring the cabin temperature down. You can change that to "fresh (outside) air later on (at least I think you can with our manual HVAC system - many new electronically controlled systems will override your wishes here). Selecting (hot) outside air, though fresher, will make the air coming out of the vents warmer, as the AC condensor coil will only drop the air temperature across it a certain amount on one pass. So, 100 degree air may lose 20 derees to blow 80 into the cabin (example only). Windows up, recirculated 80 degree air will drop another 20 degrees or so (this is a very simplified explanation) on the "next" pass. You can mix the air (slider half open) or switch to full fresh air at some point, but start on full recirclulation.

The other function of AC is to remove water (humidity). Depending on where you live (outside humidity) and whether you have a passenger (adds to inside humidity), you may find it better to bring in outside air in sooner to prevent condensation and increase comfort.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
In Oz we share temps at least as harsh as Texas. Can't say the aircon chills at 45deg C but it is comfortably cool.
Yea, but you have about 1 million more poisonous creatures.
*Shiver*
>:)

I put mine on recirculate when the AC is on and that makes a noticeable difference compared to air coming from outside on a hot day

·
Registered
16 Posts
I live in Tucson, Arizona where we are over 100 for months on end and can hit over 115. This will be my third summer with my LE and the AC is so cold that I can turn the fan to its lowest setting after a few minutes on full.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I get very good cooling, I usually just need setting 1 or 2 and have plenty of airflow. I have not had to use recirculated at all. Yes, I get the funny smell if it hasn't been used in a while, but it goes away with use and is nowhere as bad as when it was new.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Just did a weekend trip. Average temp around 90 but super humid. Never needed anything above fan speed 2. Was driving into the sun for four hours straight, with outside temps 88-90 and sun high in sky. Were I wearing more than shorts and a golf shirt, I'll bet I'd have reached for fan speed 3. I wasn't using recirc. I ws drawing fresh air.

The cold air temp at vent exit is about the same as I am used to with these next gen refrigerants in numerous cars.

Suggestion: The temp rheostat lags/drags. Turn slowly to full hot, then slowly and deliberately back to full cold, just to make sure.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts