Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I decided I was going to make the Parrot radio my best friend. I have worked out all the capabilities, attached an ipod, set up the Blue Tooth network sharing, etc. Was starting to really enjoy all that the radio can do (gotta invest the time). Then I made a mistake I regretted. I downloaded the latest file for the Parrot from their website. When I complete the update, the radio no longer shows the Alfa logo at start up. I am bummed. I would rather have an un- updated radio than lose the logo. If anyone knows how to revert to the old operating system let me know. In the meantime I have a call into Parrot and Alfa on how to address.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have had my car since June 2014 and have also decided to keep the Parrot. As you say, when you know how it all works then it is perfectly adequate and I've had no trouble with any of the functions. There seems little point in upgrading as over 50 MPH the engine is the dominant noise in the cabin anyway.
Thanks for the tip NOT to update, hope that you get the logo back.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
i'm sure there is a way to get the update file with the alfa logo
maybe the dealer?
what happens if your radio is busted, and they have to replace it under warranty?
I assume they will use a brand new parrot, which does not have the logo
and they update it?
or do they only have pre-configured ones with the logo ?

if anyone is planning to root their parrot
I am sure there is a way to backup the existing software

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Ok. I decided I was going to make the Parrot radio my best friend. I have worked out all the capabilities, attached an ipod, set up the Blue Tooth network sharing, etc. Was starting to really enjoy all that the radio can do (gotta invest the time). Then I made a mistake I regretted. I downloaded the latest file for the Parrot from their website. When I complete the update, the radio no longer shows the Alfa logo at start up. I am bummed. I would rather have an un- updated radio than lose the logo. If anyone knows how to revert to the old operating system let me know. In the meantime I have a call into Parrot and Alfa on how to address.
You're not the first person this has happened to. It's popped up a couple of times on the forum. Most of these systems have all the different car logo's in their memory - it's just a case of finding out where it is stored, and then how to retrieve it. Usually the service departments should have instructions on how to get it done.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
i wonder if there is a way to open the update file and change the logo in there
BEFORE you flash it
would love the alfa logo with a black background instead of a white one :)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I'm sure there's a way to set the splash screen image. There's a Parrot forum. I saw a thread about a utility for modding all sorts of items on the other models, but haven't had time to dig through it much yet.

·
Registered
673 Posts
On the Lotus forums this capability has been figured out for the Evora head units and many people have posted custom splash screens that can be easily flashed to the head unit. Hopefully the same thing will happen here once someone figures out how to do so.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
here are the contents of the update file
don't have time to look at it now
but anyone else (ideally an android/Linux user) want to take a peek?
I found a tool that will extract the contents of the plf file
and can also recompress it
so you can extract the files, mess with them, and compress them back into one plf file again
http://kmarei.minidns.net:8000/files/asteroid.zip

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think this is the one you need:

http://www.parrot.com/usa/support/parrot-asteroid-classic/alfa-romeo/

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Faster than the dealer or Parrot

Wow!

I posted my original thread 2 days ago. I simultaneously asked the dealer and Parrot how to address the loss of the Alfa Radio startup screen. The Forum beat both the dealer and Parrot on a response!

Thanks to all that replied.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow!

I posted my original thread 2 days ago. I simultaneously asked the dealer and Parrot how to address the loss of the Alfa Radio startup screen. The Forum beat both the dealer and Parrot on a response!

Thanks to all that replied.
Have you noticed any major/obvious improvements with the update?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Will update this weekend and report back. My car has spent the week under cover in the garage as Mother nature dropped 4 more inches of snow and the dept of transportation has dropped 8 more inches of salt.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts