Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm really enjoying this car. I'm driving it every day, patiently learning it's behavior, and trying to master it the best I can. My car is stock except for 15mm front & 25mm rear wheel spacers, a good alignment, and Jamie's Stage 1 ECU tune. I'm still running the factory Pirelli's and will likely change them once these wear out. But I don't mind them. They are fun if you want to practice how to catch a slide, and talkative if you push them to the edge. Because I've had a lot of seat time I'm getting more confident, so I thought that I could try some launches and find out what our little rocket can do with just a tuned ECU.

I purchased a Dragy - they seem very accurate and I could post times consistently until I was comfortable really launching it. I have access to a side street with good pavement and very little traffic for early morning runs. Eventually, I plan to take the car to a real track but I thought you'd be interested in these numbers because they should be close to what this car can do.

These were my best times. This is with 93 octane gas, my 149lbs and the A/C off:

No launch control - Race mode - Best time so far: 4.39 seconds (1/2 tank of gas)
Launch Control - Race mode @ 3500 RPM's with me shifting: 4.12 seconds! (Full tank of gas)

I was really impressed, and I'm really not that good at it yet. I think this car could do a 3.99 if I had less gas and I didn't hit the limiter briefly on the 2nd to 3rd shift. It hooked up well and surprised me how smooth the power delivery was. It wasn't violent, like something could break, but just a really good shove with some wheelspin at the start, and a little bit of a slide that I countersteered and stayed in it, my foot still pinned to the floor.

It's not easy to shift manually at the perfect point, but I got lucky on the 1st to 2nd shift. It launched so well that it surprised me and I lost a little focus and shifted a hair too late to 3rd. It bucked for a millisecond off the limiter but was back pretty quickly. Really awesome and a lot of fun. I don't want to stress the car with the 6000 RPM launch, and I'm not sure if it would be faster that way. Might just make a lot of smoke.

So thank you Alfa and thank you Jamie!

I'll let you know if I get that sub 4 second run.

Communication Device Mobile device Telephony Portable communications device Gadget

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't know that, I'll have to try it. I wasn't sure if it would hold that 3500 RPM in dynamic and keep the clutch disengaged. My 2015 manual only mentions Race mode for it So I wasn't sure, since mine is older. That would definitely help, as long as the traction control doesn't interfere too much and cut power. BTW - I was amazed that I beat Spiderman's 4.17 0-60 from his 1/4 mile run, which is awesome. I didn't expect that. I'm really happy with this tune.

I've saved the run on my phone, and I'll continue to try to beat it. If anyone needs reassurance that the Alfaworks Stage 1 is worth the money, let me know and I'll send them a screen shot. It also makes the car more refined and smoother. It even fixed a stupid quirk with the heater relay - clicking on and off - and driving me crazy.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I also have a 2015 (April build) and have done this one a few times. It’s very sensitive to throttle shutting down the auto feature. So if you brake, auto-on, floor it but be sure not to briefly lift at any point when you launch or it will switch to manual.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're welcome - my pleasure. It's a special little car that we have. It's quick, handles great, amazing brakes and steering, and is pretty reliable and relatively easy to work on. And beautiful to boot. I think it's perfect.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes! Economical too. And I never baby it - I drive it hard everyday. It's never went below 23 mpg. Who knows what I'd get if I didn't run it like a squirrel on crack all the time - LOL

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
i like you !
Only drive economical in the rain :LOL: Drive it hard every time i use it...(but hey, you're avatar says enough!)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great video - that's a good list, I can't disagree. Eddie did change everything - he should be at the top. It's sad that he's gone, I'm sure that he had more music to bring us. What happened to the guitar solo in music? Maybe a better question would be: what happened to music? LOL

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
That list focuses on rock/metal lead players. Your list is really great, but more blues based except for Knopfler and maybe Beck, (he's difficult to label!). All innovators for sure, but a different genre. It's tough to say who's best, music is not a competition. So you would need more lists.

I still think Eddie deserves to be at the top of most lists because, since Hendrix, he changed and borrowed so many things about the guitar, to combined it into his own style. The look, the sound, note choices (symmetrical scales), extreme use of a Marshall, (Clapton gets credit too), Strat guitar with a Gibson sound, (Holdsworth gets credit here too), extreme tremolo use (Hendrix too) and using the Floyd Rose tremolo, tapping of course, (Vittorio Camardese credit), pinch harmonics (Gibbons), wide stretch legato, (Holdsworth), tapped harmonics, drop D tuning in rock. He combined all of this to make his unique style that many bands and players copied. Even guitar manufacturers took notice and copied his guitars.

But I have other hobbies - I'm really pumped about how my car handles, looks, and as I've just discovered, is pretty darn quick to 60! I'm shooting for that 3.99!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just an update: With the Pirelli's, I can get a consistent 4.1 seconds to 60. But trying to get to 4 flat or below would require different tires I believe. It just won't hook up if I get too aggressive with the launch RPM. I lose time at the start spinning the tires and trying to keep the tail behind me! Fun though! For the 4.1 runs, I use an RPM of 3500 in race mode. I think I'll try using Dynamic/Auto and see if that will keep the tires from spinning at the start. But 4.1 is damn fast for this little engine! And this is NOT a drag car, so that is a bonus.

·
Super Moderator
11,898 Posts
Just an update: With the Pirelli's, I can get a consistent 4.1 seconds to 60. But trying to get to 4 flat or below would require different tires I believe. It just won't hook up if I get too aggressive with the launch RPM. I lose time at the start spinning the tires and trying to keep the tail behind me! Fun though! For the 4.1 runs, I use an RPM of 3500 in race mode. I think I'll try using Dynamic/Auto and see if that will keep the tires from spinning at the start. But 4.1 is damn fast for this little engine! And this is NOT a drag car, so that is a bonus.
Just don’t kill your clutch. Stickier tyres and dropping rear pressures will help with the hook-up. Have you seen the Quarter mile data base? The fastest Stage1 quarter mile time, unsurprisingly, was with non-standard tyres and all found the hook-up was critical. It also just happened to be with the Alfaworks tuned product.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did see that quarter mile post (and Spiderman's 4.17 to 60) with the Alfaworks Stage 1. I think he had the same setup as me. So I was able to run 4.12. I wonder what my quarter mile time would have been? But you're right, I don't want to kill my clutch doing this.

Does Dynamic offer the 3500 RPM launch like Race? I was just curious. If I let the computer shift and allow the traction control to keep the tires from spinning, I wonder if I could beat the 4.12?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts