Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background:
I've had the 4c for about 6 months now and been to 6ish track-days and some autocrosses.

Maybe I need to go to the gym more but after every track day I feel like I've just come back from wrestling a wild animal.

I was just at Buttonwillow yesterday and...
My arms are sore
Back feels weird (maybe from the 5 hours drive to and from the track)
Bruises from holding myself in the seat (race seat soon?)

I'm exhausted but man it feels good!

Obligatory pic:

·
Super Moderator
13,711 Posts
Yup, feel like I've done rounds with a heavyweight after a track day.
And cannot wait to do it again.

Do you have a harness? That helps.
Also, relaxing grip/arms/shoulders (it only seems like you need to strong-arm the car through every corner) helps - but is only probably possible if you have a harness.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How was the track experience? Any cars you can compare it to performance wise?
This is my first mid engined car, compared to the S2K and Z I had it's definitely less playful and more about precision. I'm impressed by the amount of throttle I can use and how early I can use it coming out of corners. Another thing that I love is how easy it is to adjust front end grip with just the throttle alone. The brakes are very impressive as well, stops extremely well. I'm not sure how I feel about the power delivery yet.

Do you have a harness? That helps.
I do not, if I were to get harness I would get bucket seats and harness bar (not sure how rigid those things are either).

·
Super Moderator
3,588 Posts
This is my first mid engined car, compared to the S2K and Z I had it's definitely less playful and more about precision. I'm impressed by the amount of throttle I can use and how early I can use it coming out of corners. Another thing that I love is how easy it is to adjust front end grip with just the throttle alone. The brakes are very impressive as well, stops extremely well. I'm not sure how I feel about the power delivery yet.

I do not, if I were to get harness I would get bucket seats and harness bar (not sure how rigid those things are either).
Many members have different seats with more bolstering (at the expense of getting in and out easily) and also have race harness with the required harness bar. Unfortunately the 4C doesn't have a way to easily install harness attachment points as you do NOT want to drill into the CF tub. CalMeAl had the best idea for that attachment....you may want to research his Forum description of that solution. You may find that after installing the race seat you would want to explore a removable steering wheel for easier entry and exit.

And yes.....the 4C rewards precision in driving....but with the proper suspension mods (much written here) and better tires you will have a very competent track car.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many members have different seats with more bolstering (at the expense of getting in and out easily) and also have race harness with the required harness bar. Unfortunately the 4C doesn't have a way to easily install harness attachment points as you do NOT want to drill into the CF tub. CalMeAl had the best idea for that attachment....you may want to research his Forum description of that solution. You may find that after installing the race seat you would want to explore a removable steering wheel for easier entry and exit.
I'm not TOO worried about the entry and exit as I've dailied race seats before and my body is still able (..for now), my main concern is that other than the Kansai rails (which seem to have issues too) I couldn't find any other off the shelf rails/brackets, maybe custom fab? I also saw the kansai harness bar, maybe that could work too.

·
Super Moderator
3,588 Posts
There have been many members who went through this so I am sure they can give you some advice. I would also check old posts as quite a bit has been discussed on this. I really like the setup that CallMeAl had on his car. He used the existing bolts that hold the roll bar structure in the car. He only had to drill the holes for the attachment eyes and they were through the bulk head....not the carbon fiber tub. The harness bar works and a few members have that. The big con is that it doesn't allow your seat to go back as far so if you are taller that might be an issue.

·
Registered
171 Posts

Regarding adjusting front end grip, I took mine out the other day, and a kid in a Honda was being a pain in the a$$. So feeling like a little stop sign to stop sign fun, I sent our "greetings from the old world" if you understand my Swahili! But for the first time for me, son of a gun, she stepped out on me on acceleration. I was in "normale" mode! I eased, straightened, and continued on this fantastic short journey. But holy cow, I did not expect the car to step out a bit. That is Ruf 911 Yellowbird stuff, if anyone here is old enough to remember the 1987 Road and Track "World's Fastest Car Competition. (Is Santa Claus Dutch?, does anyone remember that?). It was absolutely incredible to feel the car accelerating so fast, it fought to stay in the direction the tires were pointing!!!

By the way, did anyone here ever measure a 0-60? I swear sometimes I feel with the right driver this could be a three second car.

·
Super Moderator
5,494 Posts
Regarding adjusting front end grip, I took mine out the other day, and a kid in a Honda was being a pain in the a$$. So feeling like a little stop sign to stop sign fun, I sent our "greetings from the old world" if you understand my Swahili! But for the first time for me, son of a gun, she stepped out on me on acceleration. I was in "normale" mode! I eased, straightened, and continued on this fantastic short journey. But holy cow, I did not expect the car to step out a bit. That is Ruf 911 Yellowbird stuff, if anyone here is old enough to remember the 1987 Road and Track "World's Fastest Car Competition. (Is Santa Claus Dutch?, does anyone remember that?). It was absolutely incredible to feel the car accelerating so fast, it fought to stay in the direction the tires were pointing!!!

By the way, did anyone here ever measure a 0-60? I swear sometimes I feel with the right driver this could be a three second car.
There’s a whole thread given over to strip times.
Official 4C Quarter Mile Time Database

·
Registered
387 Posts

uhmmmmm YES I DO remember :)

...here is something for you.....that epic machine ran the Nürburgring Nordschleife BTG, 8:05.80...slightly SLOWER than the 4C record G A S P !!!! Amazing how we (or I at least) forget how advanced 'achievable' machinery is taken for granted at times. :unsure::p

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd rather drive the 4C backwards through nurburgring than trying to wrestle a yellow bird, that thing is a widow maker.

side note, loving how many Canadians are in this thread, makes me miss home (Toronto)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
finalleaf, once a Canuck always a Canuck. Just ask 4Canada. I think he wears a gitch with the maple leaf.
I always had a maple leaf sticker on all my cars (and a UWaterloo license plate frame), time to get them for the 4c :)

·
Registered
722 Posts
I installed a sparko seat (only for the driver) and i use the oem seatbelt.
The seat is exactly my size and it holds me very well. I can feel the car better.

·
Registered
171 Posts
uhmmmmm YES I DO remember :)

...here is something for you.....that epic machine ran the Nürburgring Nordschleife BTG, 8:05.80...slightly SLOWER than the 4C record G A S P !!!! Amazing how we (or I at least) forget how advanced 'achievable' machinery is taken for granted at times. :unsure::p
That's a car I didn't even lust over. Why bother? I simply took myself out of the dream completely! The Ruf Yellowbird. And here we are hanging out, discussing our passion for a car we all own...that's even faster. Holy cow!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sparko REV
Fixed
I adapted the supports so I could lower the seat to maximum. The OEM seats are very very low so replacing them with sport seats on rails I believe would raise them too high.
Would you have some pictures ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts