Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like most of you I want better sound out of the stock Alfa system, did not want to change the radio or invest too much and mostly I wanted it EASY. I have a friend in the Audio field that ordered me a replacement speaker kit, no need for spacers or anything else, a little bit of primitive wiring and that's it. Took my friend an hour and what a difference in sound delivery.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
FOCALs are ....beautiful.....

oh....and sound FANTASTIC!!!
NO that is not my place and I could only afford the small ones on a long payment plan hahaaa.
Think payments end in 2053

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My friend removed the paper speakers and very small tweeters and simply screwed the replacements in place. With no engine running, the sound system is truly impressive now, for sure allot gets lost with the engine running and car rolling, but it is still a mega improvement for not much money spent or time invested.

·
Registered
293 Posts
My friend removed the paper speakers and very small tweeters and simply screwed the replacements in place. With no engine running, the sound system is truly impressive now, for sure allot gets lost with the engine running and car rolling, but it is still a mega improvement for not much money spent or time invested.
Hi Which head unit are you running,Parot or Alpine?

·
Registered
513 Posts
And if you are running the factory Alpine is it the "upgraded" system with the little subwoofer between the seats?

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
@Romeo 4C - Can you provide more details on the car and fitment? Were any adapters or modifications to the door cards needed? Inquiring minds want to know....

@4Canada - Can we move to electronics section?

·
Registered
48 Posts
One more to add - did they come with crossovers which had to be installed somewhere? Been out of the car audio game for yeaaars!

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
How much weight do these speakers add ?
I would assume minimal since the focal spec sheet says the whole setup weighs 2.58 lbs. Subtract whatever the stock woofer/tweeters weigh and that’s your add. We’re likely talking 1-1.5lbs net gain max.

One more to add - did they come with crossovers which had to be installed somewhere? Been out of the car audio game for yeaaars!
According to the spec sheet, crossovers are built in. It looks like a really simple kit

@Romeo 4C; did you consider adding the Alpine in-line amp that’s available? I don’t remember exact specs of the factory Alpine head-unit but the output is pretty weak. You may get another nice boost in sound quality from giving these focals some cleaner power.

This is a really nice option, btw. I know people have modified the doors to make 6.5” woofers fit but there’s something to be said about a simple direct swap upgrade. Also, these are surprisingly affordable for Focal. I am used to seeing Focal kits cost >1k. I had them in a car years ago and the sound is amazing (despite being pricey). I’m thinking that you could do the alpine amp and these for about $500 total and have a vastly improved stereo with no major weight difference or custom fabrication needed.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I would assume minimal since the focal spec sheet says the whole setup weighs 2.58 lbs. Subtract whatever the stock woofer/tweeters weigh and that’s your add. We’re likely talking 1-1.5lbs net gain max.

According to the spec sheet, crossovers are built in. It looks like a really simple kit

@Romeo 4C; did you consider adding the Alpine in-line amp that’s available? I don’t remember exact specs of the factory Alpine head-unit but the output is pretty weak. You may get another nice boost in sound quality from giving these focals some cleaner power.

This is a really nice option, btw. I know people have modified the doors to make 6.5” woofers fit but there’s something to be said about a simple direct swap upgrade. Also, these are surprisingly affordable for Focal. I am used to seeing Focal kits cost >1k. I had them in a car years ago and the sound is amazing (despite being pricey). I’m thinking that you could do the alpine amp and these for about $500 total and have a vastly improved stereo with no major weight difference or custom fabrication needed.
I am not a big fan of the Alpine KTP 445 power pack. I have that unit in my other car, and it is barely louder than the built in amp on my Alpine CDE 125BT head unit. I went with a relatively cheap Cerwin Vega Bomber (B54) amplifier that is really compact, almost as small as the Alpine unit. It works easiest with RCA inputs, but the factory Alpine units have RCA outs, so that is pretty easy. The only real challenge is getting a decent power wire, but I just ran a new 8 gauge from the battery to the big grommet in the front of the car. I would not mess with going for 6.5" speakers (I did it and went back to stock speakers for now). It takes quite a bit of work to modify the door panels to get a 6.5" driver to not hit the door card. A 5.25" should be okay, a 4" definitely would be fine, even with a large excursion. The speakers definitely want more oomf from the amp. Focal 5.25" should fit into a hollowed out factory speaker mount and not cause any problems, or you could order new Focal 4" Coax speakers (our tweeter locations are only about 6-8" higher than the mid driver location), and get new housings if you want to keep your factor speakers for future use or whatever. There is a matching aftermarket speaker adapter that matches the factory adapter shape and mount pattern if you search Ebay for '2005 Fiat Punto speaker adapter' and they are about $20. I went with the B54 amp, new head unit (that has a video in for a backup camera), and a 8" shallow mount sub in a 12"x9"x6.5" box mounted up under the dash. I wll probably go with either the Focal or Infinity reference series 4" coax speakers since I am getting plenty of bass from the sub.

·
Registered
539 Posts
One thing I would love to figure out is which speaker wire adapter would connect to the factory plug so I don't have to cut the door wires. The mid driver and tweeter have different prong orientations, but I am really only looking for the mid driver adapter.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts