Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am not a big fan of the Alpine KTP 445 power pack. I have that unit in my other car, and it is barely louder than the built in amp on my Alpine CDE 125BT head unit. I went with a relatively cheap Cerwin Vega Bomber (B54) amplifier that is really compact, almost as small as the Alpine unit. It works easiest with RCA inputs, but the factory Alpine units have RCA outs, so that is pretty easy. The only real challenge is getting a decent power wire, but I just ran a new 8 gauge from the battery to the big grommet in the front of the car. I would not mess with going for 6.5" speakers (I did it and went back to stock speakers for now). It takes quite a bit of work to modify the door panels to get a 6.5" driver to not hit the door card. A 5.25" should be okay, a 4" definitely would be fine, even with a large excursion. The speakers definitely want more oomf from the amp. Focal 5.25" should fit into a hollowed out factory speaker mount and not cause any problems, or you could order new Focal 4" Coax speakers (our tweeter locations are only about 6-8" higher than the mid driver location), and get new housings if you want to keep your factor speakers for future use or whatever. There is a matching aftermarket speaker adapter that matches the factory adapter shape and mount pattern if you search Ebay for '2005 Fiat Punto speaker adapter' and they are about $20. I went with the B54 amp, new head unit (that has a video in for a backup camera), and a 8" shallow mount sub in a 12"x9"x6.5" box mounted up under the dash. I wll probably go with either the Focal or Infinity reference series 4" coax speakers since I am getting plenty of bass from the sub.
View attachment 108205
Were you able to get the sub completely hidden? I had no Idea there was so much space under the dash and really keen to see photos if its possible? I presume you hid the amp under there as well.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The only thing you can see without laying your head in the floor is the subwoofer ring, so the box is completely hidden. I did mount the amplifier to the box. I have a thread in ‘Electronics’ that details it all out.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Is anyone not worried about vibrating from the sub and excessive bolt loosening ?
I don’t think that level of sub would do much. 1000W RMS or something crazy, yeah, I might start to worry. But I’d still worry more about driving at speed on a gravel road.

I did my bolt service a bit early. If you worry you can always do the same.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yeah, the little 8” sub is only getting about 300 watts RMS max, and the box doesn’t seem to do much vibrating even when it is loud. I’m not worried about it at all. The sound is 100X better with the little sub and an amplifier.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
@Romeo 4C - Can you provide more details on the car and fitment? Were any adapters or modifications to the door cards needed? Inquiring minds want to know....

@4Canada - Can we move to electronics section?

The installer removed the door panels, poped the rivets holding the speakers, screwed in the replacement, did the same for the tweeters (above and a bit forward) closed the door and that was it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I would assume minimal since the focal spec sheet says the whole setup weighs 2.58 lbs. Subtract whatever the stock woofer/tweeters weigh and that’s your add. We’re likely talking 1-1.5lbs net gain max.

According to the spec sheet, crossovers are built in. It looks like a really simple kit

@Romeo 4C; did you consider adding the Alpine in-line amp that’s available? I don’t remember exact specs of the factory Alpine head-unit but the output is pretty weak. You may get another nice boost in sound quality from giving these focals some cleaner power.

This is a really nice option, btw. I know people have modified the doors to make 6.5” woofers fit but there’s something to be said about a simple direct swap upgrade. Also, these are surprisingly affordable for Focal. I am used to seeing Focal kits cost >1k. I had them in a car years ago and the sound is amazing (despite being pricey). I’m thinking that you could do the alpine amp and these for about $500 total and have a vastly improved stereo with no major weight difference or custom fabrication needed.

My friend told me the Alpine unit had more than enough power, I would not be able to notice the difference, he is against wasted time and money when it comes to upgrades.

He found the simplest and fastest replacement speakers for our 4Cs. Unless you are the type that absolutely needs to spend a fortune to have the feeling you got served properly, this kit does the job.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Bought the same speaker kit as well, will try to document the swap as much as possible.
@TwistedDrum5 I recently installed the joying too, so I will be able to answer that question after the install.
Please do.
People keep talking about splicing, adapters, rivets, drilling, etc.

I’d like to know what I’m getting into before I pop it open and realize I need an adapter or a new drill bit.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Hi guys,
I'd like to go with the newer version:
Focal PS 130 FE
which have a bigger depth, of 59.7mm.
Any idea whether these will fit? Or willing to check it while installing.

Thx!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I received some PC2-805 connectors in today (mid speaker connector), and while slightly loose, they make a decent connection and shoudn't be a problem. I'll probably tape them up just to be sure. This means I don't have to cut into the existing wiring. The mid and tweeter are connected in parallel, so I don't need a connector to fit the tweeter connection, which is different, I'll just wire it from this one.

This connector already had the speaker connectors on it for the mid...

20200810_160855.jpg 20200810_161015.jpg

·
Registered
150 Posts
Quick update:
1. Tweeter fits fine (you remove the grill/etc. from the Focus tweeter, just the driver itself)
2. I looked at just putting the new mid where the original one was as mentioned before. A couple issues.
a. If you just put it in the hole, the magnet rubs on part of the window mechanism (this thing):
20200810_174639.jpg

It only seems to add pressure when the window is down, but I didn't like the pressure on plastic parts.
b. If just screwed in the hole, it isn't pointing in the right direction, and isn't sealed to the hole in the door panel, so the sound fills the door. Overall, didn't sound great.

So, I just bought some speaker adapters to fix both problems and fit like the stock speakers:
s-l1600.jpg

They seem to be the correct ones, I'll know in a couple weeks when they arrive. I put the stock speakers back in until this arrives.

FYI, This is how I connected the PC2-805 connectors to the Focus wiring:
20200810_230043.jpg

This fits the car's mid connector fine (I did put a zip tie across the connectors to keep them fitted well):

ebay.com/itm/Speaker-Adaptor-Cable-For-Vauxhall-Renault-Volkswagen-Nissan-Audi-PC2-805-Pairs/333591079298?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

s-l1600 (1).jpg

I'll update once the speaker housing adapters arrive...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Those speaker adapters should fit the opening perfectly, and have the same tilt so the mid driver will aim the right way. They are designed to fit a 4" speaker, but with some trimming your 5-1/4" should fit, but the screws for the speaker will have to go all the way to the door panel. Looking forward to seeing how it all fits together. Thanks for the detailed wiring update.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I posted these on another sound thread as well. As B-T said with a little work you can get the 5 1/4 to fit. One other issue I ran across was that the surround of the driver hit the screw mounting points of the speaker grill in the door panel. I trimmed them off, as you can see in one of the photos, and used epoxy to hold the grill on instead.
4.png
2.png
3.png

·
Registered
85 Posts
I posted these on another sound thread as well. As B-T said with a little work you can get the 5 1/4 to fit. One other issue I ran across was that the surround of the driver hit the screw mounting points of the speaker grill in the door panel. I trimmed them off, as you can see in one of the photos, and used epoxy to hold the grill on instead. View attachment 108932 View attachment 108933 View attachment 108934
How did you secure the grill? Does it still look stock?
How do the new speakers sound? Hat is your current radio? Worth it?

21 - 40 of 52 Posts