Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
I used a 5 minute epoxy glue for the grills. Look is totally stock. Still have not installed my new amp so no sound yet. I've got a lot of other projects going on.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Finished this up tonight.

The adapter rings mentioned earlier showed up today. Perfect fit to car and speakers (you have to clip out the inner ring to fit these speakers like I did to the one on the right):

20200818_153316.jpg

Speaker in the adapter. Same angle and mounting holes as stock:
20200818_153508.jpg

Tweater in place:
20200818_181252.jpg

I used these drywall anchors to mount the adapter to the door in the original holes (I made the holes slightly bigger to fit these). They mushroom behind the hole to fasten to the door. Also known as a "Jack Nut" or "Molly Bolt". Worked great:
20200818_202401.jpg

I used some foam tape to seal the gap against the door, and needed to screw the speaker into the door. Just made a pilot hole, used some longer screws, and this worked great. The door panel fit perfectly over this with no modification. I didn't get a picture of it, but I just ran the speaker wire through an existing hole into the door to get behind the driver:

20200818_181300.jpg

FYI, I also have the Alpine amp installed.

This was well worth the cost and effort. It sounds MUCH better than stock. I'm glad I did it...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Finished this up tonight.

The adapter rings mentioned earlier showed up today. Perfect fit to car and speakers (you have to clip out the inner ring to fit these speakers like I did to the one on the right):

View attachment 109128

Speaker in the adapter. Same angle and mounting holes as stock:
View attachment 109130

Tweater in place:
View attachment 109131

I used these drywall anchors to mount the adapter to the door in the origional holes (I made the holes slightly bigger to fit these). They mushroom behind the hole to fasten to the door. Also known as a "Jack Nut" or "Molly Bolt". Worked great:
View attachment 109132

I used some foam tape to seal the gap against the door, and needed to screw the speaker into the door. Just made a pilot hole, used some longer screws, and this worked great. The door panel fit perfectly over this with no modification. I didn't get a picture of it, but I just ran the speaker wire through an existing hole into the door to get behind the driver:

View attachment 109129

FYI, I also have the Alpine amp installed.

This was well worth the cost and effort. It sounds MUCH better than stock. I'm glad I did it...
Looks great! This is the new Focal 5.25” component speakers?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I assume you are using the angled speaker adapters? I'm guessing you'll be fine in that case, but you'd have to try. You are trying to avoid this part of the window mechanism:

20200810_174639.jpg

As a comparison, if you placed the 130 directly in the hole (I'm not recommending that, just for sake of argument), the lower side of the magnet just touched the upper side of this spring. WIth the offset and angle of the adapter, it wasn't near it at all. It all depends on the depth and diamater of the magnet.

·
Registered
955 Posts
It would be really tight, but it may be ok. I installed a set of Hertz speakers that are 57 mm deep.
I assume you are using the angled speaker adapters? I'm guessing you'll be fine in that case, but you'd have to try. You are trying to avoid this part of the window mechanism:

View attachment 109966

As a comparison, if you placed the 130 directly in the hole (I'm not recommending that, just for sake of argument), the lower side of the magnet just touched the upper side of this spring. WIth the offset and angle of the adapter, it wasn't near it at all. It all depends on the depth and diamater of the magnet.
Great! Thanks, guys. (y)
I'll give it a shot and will add to my proces to the thread.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Finally got the second pair of speakers put in - first pair took three times longer! One thing I didn't see mentioned is that when using the pc2-805 harness you will need to cut those wires and
splice in the wires from the Focal kit. That was the only run to the hardware store I needed to make.

Sound is definitely much cleaner once the alpine head unit MX parameters are adjusted. Anyone out there that did this upgrade and then later added the alpine ktp power pack? I see posts by those that already had or put in at same time, but interested to know if it really makes much difference on the Focal 130s

41 - 52 of 52 Posts