Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

A new Edmunds review showed up on YT. Not really worth your time, as you'll see. Very annoying.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Something is strange because when you go to race mode and do the launch, the car is supposed to shift the first gears automatically; however, this dude indicates that you have to paddle shift from the start????

·
Registered
195 Posts
Not necessarily wrong on some points. In the end you either embrace the raw-ness of the 4C as well as the minimalism or you long for a Boxster/Cayman. I’m just glad Alfa took the chance to make the car to begin with!

I couldn’t answer the launch control question because I’ve yet to try it, bought the car for fun in the twisties!

·
Registered
625 Posts
kind of disappointing review from a reviewer i usually like. Carlos Lago seemed to pull a Chris Harris on this one. His first review was more positive and this one, even though somewhat true was definitely more somber. Carlos it's not what you said, it's more of how you said it.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I like Carlos. But this just shows you how he and his fellow journalists get things wrong and often we have no idea that they are wrong. In this case, as owners we know how he blew it.

I can't get over how he went on and on about the "heavy steering." You'd think he's used to 60s Cadillacs.

So, the Boxster and TT are better options because you get more stuff. Dude, we don't want 500 pounds of stuff!

·
Registered
16 Posts
There does seem to be an inverse relationship between reviewer age and ability to appreciate no pain no gain. I looked at most, if not all, you tube videos and the vast majority were positive with a few redundant concerns......no power steering.... does your mom cut your food up into little bite size pieces, Of course I didn't do the reviews before I bought the car it was love at first sight. I am usually a convertible guy but couldn't take my eyes of the coupe. BTW Arrigo Palm Beach has a 2016 triwhite spyder for 49,999 low miles clean carfax service records...............very good deal.

·
Registered
664 Posts
The review is not meant for Alfa 4c owners but for the average Joe who plans to buy a sport car, something to have fun with and to look good in it.
Even though everyone likes the design of the alfa just a very few people appreciate that it's light, nimble, no assisted steering, a raw driving feeling ...
We appreciate this, but most of the people don't --> If they were, porsche and other manufacturers would build lightweight cars like alfa.
I even bet that many owners keep their cars because of the look and not because of what they feel when they drive it --> At this price you can't buy such a good looking car.

Last week it was an event on the local race track for super cars --> There were mostly porsche turbo, GTS, GT3 or GT3 RS, lamborghini, masserati, merc amg gt r, ... The entrance for them on the racetrack was free --> The owners preferred to keep the cars on the parking space to be admired instead of driving on the race track :))
This is the current behavior in relation to sports car: A sport car should look good, should be fast on nurgburgring, should have a nice interior, should be fast 0-100 and should look expensive. If a journalist like Clarkson said it drives nice then it sells --> Like the nissan gtr which is a lousy car on the race track due to it's weight but any guy can get an excellent lap time because of the electronics and power --> So the pig sells pretty well even though you can't go 3 consecutive laps on a racetrack without braking something.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
We all understand sometimes reviewers make mistake. It is sad that he made such a mistake, especially if you review enough cars, you quickly learn that "Launching" the car is different in EVERY model of car (some are VERY elaborate procedures). He should have RTFM (Read The Friggin Manual). I made the same mistake when I tried to "Launch" the car the first time, so I call it a "half launch" Launch.

However, I think he got the basic premise right about the car. It is a "weekend" car and has all of the flair of a weekend car, not a daily driver for nearly all of the "Standard Joe's". He did note that on track he didn't quite trust the car. In it's stock form, it is NOT an easy car to drive on the edge. However, I think he made the mistake of it being the front end, not the back end. If you dive into a corner, it will understeer or oversteer depending on how YOU set the car up into the corner.

·
Registered
784 Posts
IMHO the review was pretty accurate about the 4C. Also the launch control @6K rpm will probably yield a slower time:). I’m pretty happy with my 4C but adding mods makes me fall in luv:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts