Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one? I mean I get it's the future, but it sucks. I remember the beautiful sound of my 1964 Beetle. I remember removing and rebuilding the engine. I felt like a million bucks rebuilding my carburetor. Same thing with the 4C and Alfa Romeo as a brand. The sound of the engine, the way the transmission shift, the way it looks.

I just had to vent, but it just makes me nostalgic.

Bonus pic, my VW Beetle.

·
Super Moderator
14,028 Posts
If you are nostalgic about a Beetle, well, I dunno. Bring on the electrics! :ROFLMAO:

In all honesty, I learned to drive stick on one not that different from this!

You've kept yours very well.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are nostalgic about a Beetle, well, I dunno. Bring on the electrics! :ROFLMAO:

In all honesty, I learned to drive stick on one not that different from this!

You've kept yours very well.
I've been restoring it. I learned everything I know about cars on it. :D It's very similar to the 4C actually, just slower.

·
Super Moderator
5,924 Posts
Am I the only one? I mean I get it's the future, but it sucks. I remember the beautiful sound of my 1964 Beetle. I remember removing and rebuilding the engine. I felt like a million bucks rebuilding my carburetor. Same thing with the 4C and Alfa Romeo as a brand. The sound of the engine, the way the transmission shift, the way it looks.

I just had to vent, but it just makes me nostalgic.

Bonus pic, my VW Beetle.

Don’t be. You’ll be able to fit high volume speakers front, rear and in the cabin and run whatever sound you’d like your car to make. An F1 V10 from a few years back would be my first choice. 0-50km/h would sound like first gear acceleration etc. Even if there was no transmission it would sound like you were going through the gears. Then again, an F-4 with afterburner on take-off would have the neighbours take notice. The choice will be limited only by your imagination.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don’t be. You’ll be able to fit high volume speakers front, rear and in the cabin and run whatever sound you’d like your car to make. An F1 V10 from a few years back would be my first choice. 0-50km/h would sound like first gear acceleration etc. Even if there was no transmission it would sound like you were going through the gears. Then again, an F-4 with afterburner on take-off would have the neighbours take notice. The choice will be limited only by your imagination.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Seeing the power tools strewn about the garage made me think of my grandfather, who built houses with hand saws and hammers. He'd criticize your power tools the way you (and I ) would criticize electric cars.

:)

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
3,746 Posts
Sadly some manufacturers already use fake engine sound through their audio system to make their cars sound better.....i.e. BMW. Thus far ALFA makes real noise and a good one too.

·
Super Moderator
5,924 Posts
TV
Sadly some manufacturers already use fake engine sound through their audio system to make their cars sound better.....i.e. BMW. Thus far ALFA makes real noise and a good one too.
One day it’ll be no noise or fake noise, take your pick. Real noise won’t be in the mix, unfortunately.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Man, of all cars they had to choose the 4C to put this in. I guess it makes sense weight-wise, but it's supposed to be a loud, noisy sports car, not a weirdly quiet electric car. Regardless, I bet the torque off the line is insane!
From the moment I 'discovered' the 3 part system (centre tub and fore/aft sub frames) I knew it leant itself to this and more to come type power combos. What other current car can you 'relatively' easily drop the whole front or rear end on to Macgyver experimental power plants in? The older 911s and 308 lent themselves somewhat to the whole rear engine/tranny drop out and there are already current examples of their electrifications ;-)
I want that TORQUE as well!!! lol
Time will tell....

·
Super Moderator
14,028 Posts
Torque is great.
Battery weight not so much. At least it could be low down in the car, I presume.
Range - that's the issue. More range from a heavy battery = more weight.
It's great to do a few fast pulls, but if it means you go home on a tow hook, forget it.
Similarly, on the track you might only get 2 x 20-minute sessions in. And that's assuming you could charge up near the track to start and end your day (not drive in from 150 miles away, and go that far home again).

·
Registered
470 Posts
Torque is great.
Battery weight not so much. At least it could be low down in the car, I presume.
Range - that's the issue. More range from a heavy battery = more weight.
It's great to do a few fast pulls, but if it means you go home on a tow hook, forget it.
Similarly, on the track you might only get 2 x 20-minute sessions in. And that's assuming you could charge up near the track to start and end your day (not drive in from 150 miles away, and go that far home again).
I thought all the new tracks would have underlying wireless electrical chargers underneath the asphalt....this way ENDLESS RUNS ..can we say the 24 DAYS of Daytona :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts