Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2018 4C Coupe
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any information on the 4C's engine physical dimensions and weight? Same for the transmission?
Personal curiosity for me at the moment. But I wanted to compare the weight and dimensions to a Honda K series engine for...reasons....

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
This is how I understand it.
When the 4C came out it had the same engine as the Giulietta, but with an aluminum block as opposed to the Giulietta’s cast iron one. Later the Giulietta got the aluminum block as well. So now, it’s the exact same engine and gearbox as the Giulietta.
Good thing about that is that spares are actually quite easy to come by in markets that sell the Giulietta.
So. Find Giulietta specs

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
The 4C should check in heavier inch-per-inch or cm-per-cm.

The 4C runs forged internals, steel sleeves, and has a closed deck. Each of these thing brings material density (forged bits and steel sleeves) or literally more material (closed decks have more metal surrounding top of combustion chamber for robustness (e.g., to handle boost above and beyond the Honda K Series.)

These features (seen as liabilities by other manufacturers) bring weight (obvious penalties here) and manufacturing complexity (cost). In return, you get a stout platform. Definitely a no compromise approach.

Nope, don't know the weight, but adding context for when you do your comparison. 4C, ironically, adopts a 'heavier is better' approach to the engine.

Reactions: Norton74

·
Super Moderator
10,414 Posts
The 4C should check in heavier inch-per-inch or cm-per-cm.

The 4C runs forged internals, steel sleeves, and has a closed deck. Each of these thing brings material density (forged bits and steel sleeves) or literally more material (closed decks have more metal surrounding top of combustion chamber for robustness (e.g., to handle boost above and beyond the Honda K Series.)

These features (seen as liabilities by other manufacturers) bring weight (obvious penalties here) and manufacturing complexity (cost). In return, you get a stout platform. Definitely a no compromise approach.

Nope, don't know the weight, but adding context for when you do your comparison. 4C, ironically, adopts a 'heavier is better' approach to the engine.
I don’t know the engine and transmission weights but I do know that the weight lost in the move to an alloy block was negated by the increased weight of the TCT, so the weights of the cast iron block cars and alloy block cars are near identical.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
@Alfanut - I'm focused on the engine comparo to the Honda engine.

Comparing the trans (4C to Honda) becomes one step more unfair, as an automated manual usually weighs a little more vs an optional manual, but then you need to compare vehicle weights and not transmission weights were one to swap in a theoretical available manual, because modern manuals have cables, shifters, linkages, clutch valves and other stuff that would be weighed separately from the actual transmission itself.

A published manual trans weight of the unit itself might not include fluid, and probably not all the ancillaries mentioned above.

( Don't make me regret posting in this thread! 😋 )

·
Registered
679 Posts
Member Voy_Speed sold an engine and an engine+trans combo and provided measurements and weights for shipping purposes:

The 30 mile engine, engine only :
30" wide
34" long
36" high
I would estimate around 270 - 300lbs

The engine that comes with the transmission/clutch
36" wide
42" long
37" tall
I would estimate around 350 - 400 lbs

You can see the thread here, when the engine+trans combo was shipped to him the waybill indicated a weight of 399lbs with pallet etc:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ok, this is not for everyone, so don't shoot me if you are a 4C (or ICE) purist, but... if (and only if) I had a blown motor, I'd think about making it electric. Crazy torque, and with batteries becoming cheaper & lighter weight it could be a lot of fun. I tend to make 30-40 minute runs with my 4C, so no need for a lot of battery, and they can be mounted both in front and back as needed to distribute the weight properly.

Transmission could be the weak link, but seems there are more options becoming, including the Sadev Dogbox (sequential) Matt has advertised now. Flame away! :p

·
Registered
568 Posts
Ok, this is not for everyone, so don't shoot me if you are a 4C (or ICE) purist, but... if (and only if) I had a blown motor, I'd think about making it electric. Crazy torque, and with batteries becoming cheaper & lighter weight it could be a lot of fun. I tend to make 30-40 minute runs with my 4C, so no need for a lot of battery, and they can be mounted both in front and back as needed to distribute the weight properly.

Transmission could be the weak link, but seems there are more options becoming, including the Sadev Dogbox (sequential) Matt has advertised now. Flame away! :p
You're dead to us.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts