Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've always had a bit of trouble closing the rear lid on my 4C. When closing it I've always had to give it an extra push on the driver's edge of the lid. The service guy at the dealer said it's normal and if I'd like, I can just let it drop from its highest point, "Don't worry, it's pretty strong and works fine".

Now, I've never done that - the extra nudge has always worked - but now that doesn't seem to work anymore.

Anyone have any tips on adjusting the latch so that it closes properly and easily? I've played with it and can't get it lined up.

And no, it hasn't been in an accident and nothing is warped or bent. The car is in mint condition.

·
Registered
350 Posts
So I've always had a bit of trouble closing the rear lid on my 4C. When closing it I've always had to give it an extra push on the driver's edge of the lid. The service guy at the dealer said it's normal and if I'd like, I can just let it drop from its highest point, "Don't worry, it's pretty strong and works fine".

Now, I've never done that - the extra nudge has always worked - but now that doesn't seem to work anymore.

Anyone have any tips on adjusting the latch so that it closes properly and easily? I've played with it and can't get it lined up.

And no, it hasn't been in an accident and nothing is warped or bent. The car is in mint condition.
With mine, I always position the lid only about an inch or two from the fully closed location and let it drop, works every time. Is there a possibility that there is not enough slack in the cable, which could keep the latch from complete engagement? And when you do give it that extra push are you just stretching the cable a bit, which would then let the latch fully engage.
Dropping the lid from the highest point seems idiotic to me. And that certainly is not normal. This just cannot be too difficult a problem for the dealer to rectify. But, I do not think that I would want your service guy to work on my car.

·
Administrator
17,401 Posts
DON'T drop it from the highest point.
For the coupe, at least, the manual said drop from a foot or so above closed. Later, that was changed to close gently and push lightly.

Aren't there adjustable bumpers on the bottom edge of the boot lid - perhaps these need some re-calibration (screw in)?
Definitely check / lubricate the pull cable to the latch as 4C ALFA suggested - would make sense.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,357 Posts
DO NOT drop it from that height...you WILL cause damage. First possible fix....there is a rubber stopper that the lid sits on on each side. It is threaded so you can easily screw it in by hand a bit to see if that allows enough travel to latch. The rubber stopper is designed to fine tune the position so the lid is level with the fender edge. If that doesn't work....have the dealer adjust the cable length a bit. Mine latches when I drop it from about 3" or less....or you can gently push it until it latches which is the preferred way per ALFA.

Evidently enough people were dropping it from very high and causing damage that ALFA changed their direction in the owners manual for how to close it. The correct way per the latest factory manual now is to gently push down on the lid. There is a sensor in the trunk latch mechanism that determines if the lid is shut. If you forget to close the lid or that sensor is damaged, you will get a warning on your digital display that says the engine cover is open....when it isn't. Some including me got that message after reinstallation of a quarter panel after a service and it wasn't quite aligned correctly. If that sensor contact gets bent a bit the tech will need to grind off a bit of metal in the latch in the trunk to stop the contact if readjustment doesn't work.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I drop my coupe's glass cover from 6-9" with great success, and when I do the alternate method of giving it a hard press with the heel of my hand to catch (no dropping), it's 50/50 on whether it catches or half catches. Seems like anything in the boot that is even the slight bit in the way will keep it from catching.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I drop my coupe's glass cover from 6-9" with great success, and when I do the alternate method of giving it a hard press with the heel of my hand to catch (no dropping), it's 50/50 on whether it catches or half catches. Seems like anything in the boot that is even the slight bit in the way will keep it from catching.
I do the hybrid drop, hold the boot with my left hand about 4 inches high, then use my right hand to guide/push it down as it drops, this gives the right amount of force to close it.

Dropping from too high is too much stress on the whole lid, pressing it down is too much localised force.

I make sure any tall bottles of wine are laid at an angle otherwise they can obstruct the boot closing!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good info guys - thank you! No, I've never dropped it, not even from 10" high.

I'll mess around with the bumpers and cable and see what happens.

The service guys advice came up in passing when I was picking up the car after an oil change. I didn't follow it. LOL

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Good info guys - thank you! No, I've never dropped it, not even from 10" high.

I'll mess around with the bumpers and cable and see what happens.

The service guys advice came up in passing when I was picking up the car after an oil change. I didn't follow it. LOL
Let’s hope they didn’t use the high drop method too many times during the service! I‘m glad we have alfaworks in the U.K. to service our cars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is there a fail safe method of opening the rear lid if the cable breaks or catch jams ?
Some cars have a loose string , otherwise how do you access the engine in an emergency ?
My 4C is OK at present - 2016 spider / 30000 km - I just push lightly if catch does not close - could damage the lid frame , but there must be surely an age / renewal period for cable future wear .

·
Super Moderator
10,137 Posts
Is there a fail safe method of opening the rear lid if the cable breaks or catch jams ?
Some cars have a loose string , otherwise how do you access the engine in an emergency ?
My 4C is OK at present - 2016 spider / 30000 km - I just push lightly if catch does not close - could damage the lid frame , but there must be surely an age / renewal period for cable future wear .
To ease your mind, my 47 years old Alfasud has a lever and cable system to unlock its boot and nothing else. My ‘Sud has been owned within my family since new and the cable has never failed. Of course in writing this I’m expecting a broken cable in the next couple of weeks. :rolleyes: I’m anticipating the same level of reliability with the hatch cable of my 4C and am not worrying about it.

This’ll make you chuckle (read attachment from the handbook)….Good to know that if you know of any midgets with a fetish for small dark places you’ll be able to instruct them how to get out of the boot if the cable breaks. How we can access the emergency release from outside the boot is a mystery to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
Would think could reach from underneath, go through one of the side holes in trunk and pull the emergency release from passenger side.

·
Administrator
17,401 Posts
To ease your mind, my 47 years old Alfasud has a lever and cable system to unlock its boot and nothing else. My ‘Sud has been owned within my family since new and the cable has never failed. Of course in writing this I’m expecting a broken cable in the next couple of weeks. :rolleyes: I’m anticipating the same level of reliability with the hatch cable of my 4C and am not worrying about it.

This’ll make you chuckle (read attachment from the handbook)….Good to know that if you know of any midgets with a fetish for small dark places you’ll be able to instruct them how to get out of the boot if the cable breaks. How we can access the emergency release from outside the boot is a mystery to me.

When regulation > reason.

·
Registered
52 Posts

just as reference, I suddenly had mine quit latching, and I couldn't figure out what was going wrong, and then my son pointed out the obvious (in my case) something in the trunk - I think it was the roof, actually - was lying on the manual pull cable in the trunk. Shuffled stuff around, problem went away.

Wouldn't even mention it except it had me scratching my head, and it was pretty much right in front of me the whole time.

Had this car make me feel like a dope a couple times like that... Maybe I just am a dope...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts