Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,547 Posts
You need to drive the car hard to reach higher oil temps. The higher oil temp will burn the fuel in the oil. Once you get home, wait a little and change the oil.
Ummm, you haven’t been on a drive with alfa1105. He doesn’t hang about.
What we’re after are real sets of results from driving in a combination of environments not just after a high speed, constant throttle, long distance run. I’m pretty sure alfa1105 likes to use a few more revs than I do yet our fuel and water contamination figures appear identical. How about some of you blokes across the swimming pool have your oil analysed for comparison?

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
I used to send my Carrera S oil to Blackstone labs at every service. Several times I forgot to run the car hard enough to burn the gas in the oil before changing the oil. During these instances the oil will come back with some gas diluted in the oil. The times that I ran the car good before the oil change, the results came back with no gas in the oil

·
Super Moderator
11,547 Posts
I used to send my Carrera S oil to Blackstone labs at every service. Several times I forgot to run the car hard enough to burn the gas in the oil before changing the oil. During these instances the oil will come back with some gas diluted in the oil. The times that I ran the car good before the oil change, the results came back with no gas in the oil
But what we want to see is the change in oil viscosity from new to determine the effect of fuel dilution once we know that fuel dilution is an issue. That way we can, as Philster suggests, reduce the time/distance travelled between oil changes to reduce the effect fuel dilution has on oil lubricity/viscosity.

Next time I’ll do a 40km motorway run in 4th gear to see if makes a difference before getting my oil sampled.

Get your oil analysed so we can have a larger sample to observe patterns/trends.

It is a bit of a nuisance that alfa1105’s oil analysis didn’t include a viscosity value at 100 deg C nor a viscosity index value.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
I used Motul 8100xcess 5W40 and the samples that came back with the gas dilution didn’t have a significant impact on the oil additives or viscosity. I will start sending the oil from the 4C on my next oil change.

·
Registered
615 Posts
But what we want to see is the change in oil viscosity from new to determine the effect of fuel dilution once we know that fuel dilution is an issue. That way we can, as Philster suggests, reduce the time/distance travelled between oil changes to reduce the effect fuel dilution has on oil lubricity/viscosity.

Next time I’ll do a 40km motorway run in 4th gear to see if makes a difference before getting my oil sampled.

Get your oil analysed so we can have a larger sample to observe patterns/trends.

It is a bit of a nuisance that alfa1105’s oil analysis didn’t include a viscosity value at 100 deg C nor a viscosity index value.
Hi Jim I will call to see if they have that value in there records.

·
Registered
290 Posts
In case this is interesting to anyone, I just got my latest oil analysis done (Blackstone Labs). This was after a 30min+ drive and a top side extraction of the sample. The previous time, it was started briefly to put it on the lift after sitting for a while. Still a little bit of fuel, viscosity held up a little better. All around, no issues...

·
Super Moderator
11,547 Posts
Another year has passed by and my 4Cs’ engine oil has been analysed once more. Instead of shortening the distance between changes, I extended the change interval by 2,000km. 7,000km compared with 5,000km the previous year but the type of driving was identical. The differences in the results were minimal, although slightly greater fuel contamination was noticed but oil viscosity held up better. Go figure?

Now, I hope this would encourage others, especially those using Selenia, to have their oil analysed. I’d love to see the comparison. It’s also interesting to know how your engine is fairing and filters are performing.

Funny they said oil brand was unidentified when I filled out the form with its details.

I’ve been using Amsoil European Formula Classic 5W40 (A3).
I’ve now put in their new improved C3 European Formula and am looking forward to seeing the next set of results...If others‘ hypotheses are correct then the C3 should show worse deterioration than the A3. The next change I’ll do at six months as a precaution. Should be interesting.

Could someone using Selenia please have their oil tested and post their results? The cost is minimal and the knowledge gained, valuable.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Note to all: You should send off an oil sample that is indicative of how your oil typically looks. If you drive short drives a bunch and then you pump in a long, hard run to burn off fuel and water, you're skewing the results.

You want a test that shows what your oil typically looks like. Don't 'dress it up' for the test.

·
Premium Member
2018 Madreperla White Coupe
44 Posts
Note to all: You should send off an oil sample that is indicative of how your oil typically looks. If you drive short drives a bunch and then you pump in a long, hard run to burn off fuel and water, you're skewing the results.

You want a test that shows what your oil typically looks like. Don't 'dress it up' for the test.
^What he said. It’s all about consistency with when and how you take your samples.
If you do drain plug from the bottom, wait a couple of seconds before taking the sample since the sediment will be the first to flow in the oil bottle. If taking it with a vacuum/extractor pump, it’s best practice if the car has been running (it’s up to operating temp) and your extraction hose isn’t to the very bottom, where it would collect the sediment first.

·
Super Moderator
11,547 Posts
For the third year running I had an oil sample taken for testing at my annual service. The results are posted below.

The first column of the first page has this years’ results data along with previous years in the 2nd and 3rd columns. The second page contains graphs of trends of metal particles in the oil over the past three years. This past year I’ve run with AMSOIL C3 5W40 Euro blend rather than the A3 AMSOIL previously recommended. Interesting to note the viscosity with the C3 compared to the A3 especially since I’ve driven 25% less over the past year. There really doesn’t seem to be a significant change so the C3 seems no worse than the A3 in my case but I have driven ~2,500 km less than in the previous year, about a 35% reduction. Due to lockdown and movement restrictions I also had quite a few more shorter trips due to being restricted to a 5km radius from home for a couple of months then a 10km one for a while longer.

The rest of the data shows good consistency with previous test results so all is satisfactory as far as I can see. Fuel contamination was up slightly from ~2% to ~3% as was the glycol contamination. Something to watch. I was using the oem tune for the entire year. This coming year I’ll use the Alfaworks Stage 1 tune to see if there’s any change in fuel contamination.

Anyone who runs a BMC air filter has to be happy with the silicon particulate contamination results. That filter is doing its job.

It is disappointing that nobody using Petronas Selenia oil has as yet had their oil tested. I’d love to see the comparison to determine if their special blend is really significantly better.

Edit: Is ignorance bliss? Or is that clock about to sound the alarm that tells so many that time is up on their 4C and they have to sell, so who cares?….Yeah, slightly miffed at the lack of response. It’s been 12 months since the last posted oil test , which was mine and no other.. Surely more care? It’s the motoring version of having your blood tested as a health check.

Edit 2: So many on the forum have done engine mods of one sort or another. To inform yourselves of the effect of these on your engine an oil analysis is an easy and reliable way to check. It only costs a minimal amount …less than a tank of fuel.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
@Alfanut - THANKS, love this info. The accuracy of the Glycol tests is something of a wildcard to me, so it's all within some unknown range of error or accuracy far as my spider senses tell me.

Reactions: Alfanut

·
Administrator
18,506 Posts
I did 3 cars this spring, and all come up as >5% fuel dilution.
Thinking that I made a mistake in getting the dealership to take the sample though. They probably moved the car on the lot briefly, meaning that the engine did not get a chance to get warm on that cycle.
I do my oil changes in the spring, meaning surely any residual fuel from last year would have evaporated. The only prior drive this year was a 30 minute highway trip to the dealership which got the engine good and warm. Most of my trips are long-ish, and one of the cars is mostly track driven. I’d find it hard to believe that all three have an issue.

·
Super Moderator
11,547 Posts
This is mine and I was using Selenia Quadrifoglio. Interestingly the fuel contamination is not high however aluminum and iron are a bit high which in that explanation paragraph at the top of the page they said should be OK.
Thank you for posting the very first Selenia oil data. Looking at the fuel contamination figure you must be doing something right. 0.8% is an excellent figure. Hopefully you can get another follow-up test next year. How do you spend your driving time in the car? An even mixture of suburban and rural/country driving or more of one or the other?

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I did 3 cars this spring, and all come up as >5% fuel dilution.
Thinking that I made a mistake in getting the dealership to take the sample though. They probably moved the car on the lot briefly, meaning that the engine did not get a chance to get warm on that cycle.
I do my oil changes in the spring, meaning surely any residual fuel from last year would have evaporated. The only prior drive this year was a 30 minute highway trip to the dealership which got the engine good and warm. Most of my trips are long-ish, and one of the cars is mostly track driven. I’d find it hard to believe that all three have an issue.
The colder the climate, then a group in that climate should see more dilution in this DI turbo era.

At 5% dilution, you should start smelling fuel.

This is why I won't even get more oil samples. I just pump out some oil half way through the season and refresh it (leaving the filter, as mentioned before). It's easier than sending off an oil sample.

Every time you eliminate the worst thing on the list (say fuel), the list has a new worst thing, and I choose not to worry anymore.

"Your oil shows signs of boron, but a type that crystalizes in asteroids, and is consistent with some meteorites found in ancient Egypt. Overall, this is within normal range for a Canadian farmer addicted to Italian cars."

·
Administrator
18,506 Posts
Every time you eliminate the worst thing on the list (say fuel), the list has a new worst thing, and I choose not to worry anymore.

"Your oil shows signs of boron, but a type that crystalizes in asteroids, and is consistent with some meteorites found in ancient Egypt. Overall, this is within normal range for a Canadian farmer addicted to Italian cars."
:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2016 Spider
211 Posts
Thank you for posting the very first Selenia oil data. Looking at the fuel contamination figure you must be doing something right. 0.8% is an excellent figure. Hopefully you can get another follow-up test next year. How do you spend your driving time in the car? An even mixture of suburban and rural/country driving or more of one or the other?
I am here in Southern California so during that period and inside my garage it barely got down to 50 F and that only happens very few nights throughout the winter. My driving style in that period is a mixture of both rural canyon runs (dynamic and pretty hard on gas) and some suburban, but I'd say 70% in the canyon and 30% city driving which in LA definitely consists of some heavy traffic.
For extra iron and aluminum contamination I think I should maybe change the oil more often and to not wait for the car to tell me it is time to change. Or maybe the OEM filter that I use does not do a great job which is also when driving harder is expected from any filter as the bypass valve inside the filter opens?
Not sure if I get a chance for the second test as I am planning to sell the car soon due to personal reasons, but if I have enough time maybe I can do it one of these days (the oil is already 6 months old and that test is for that time).

81 - 99 of 99 Posts