Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
As of yesterday i was ready to make a drive with the 4C, trying to start resulted in a strange noise of the starter engine

Bought a new battery, charged it, still the same; the engine wont crank

To check if the starter engine is in order, unmounted this and tested it via the battery (with jumper cables)
Works like a charm...
Mounted the starter engine and tested again, but the engine wont crank!

Looks like the engine is blocked somehow, its in N when starting with ignition (using brake pedal etc..)

checked via OBD if any fault codes were present, nothing present

Im about to be desperate now
Any suggestions are welcome!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Have you checked the brake switch at the pedal? We once had to replace one. If it is not working the ECU won’t get the signal for operating the starter...

Best regards

Alex

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you checked the brake switch at the pedal? We once had to replace one. If it is not working the ECU won’t get the signal for operating the starter...

Best regards

Alex
Hi Alex,
When i pressed the brake and trying to start yesterday, my starter engine got power but could not crank the engine.

After unmounting the starter engine i tested this and it works fine
So i mounted the starter engine again, with battery still disconnected from the car
Using a jumper cable directly to the starter engine I can make the starter engine work, but its directly blocked, because the engine does not crank. Seems like the engine is blocked

the ecu and battery are disconnected doing this

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
You charged a new battery? <-- this is confusing.

You removed the starter (electric motor that cranks the engine) and you tested the electric starter to see if the electric starter worked?

I do not believe the engine would seize (lock, freeze) in six months if it was okay and normal when you last drove it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

You removed the starter (electric motor that cranks the engine) and you tested the electric starter to see if the electric starter worked?

I do not believe the engine would seize (lock, freeze) in six months if it was okay and normal when you last drove it.

Hi Philster, yes also I dont believe the engine is seized...drove it normal for the last time 6months ago

yes starter engine itself works fine unmounted from the engine

battery is new I know

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
When you try to start by turning the key, do you hear a 'click click click' sound?

Or do you hear a 'hummmmmmmmhummmmmmhummmmm' sound?

·
Registered
284 Posts
OK lets go at this logically step by step.
The contacts on the brake pedal safety switch are probably corroded and not making contact.
1. The starter is functional
2. The starter will NOT turn if the brake pedal switch is not made when the entire starter circuit is connected as per the factory. Running the starter with a jumper cable bypasses the brake safety switch.
3. Do you have a neutral gear indication on the dash/can you get neutral?
4. Jump out the brake safety switch and see if the engine spins/car starts
5. You can also try to remount the starter and try to spin the engine with the jumper cable attached to the starter. BE SURE YOU ARE IN NEUTRAL!
4. If the engine spins you have an electrical problem elsewhere (bad brake pedal safety switch, bad ignition switch).
5. If the engine does not spin then you have a more serious problem.
6. DON"T EVER LEAVE AN ALFA 4C SIT FOR SIX MONTHS AGAIN

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
He seems certain power is getting to the starter motor (which seems to be doing something when he turns the key), but which gets no power and makes zero noise if the brake pedal switch is not working.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK lets go at this logically step by step.
The contacts on the brake pedal safety switch are probably corroded and not making contact.
1. The starter is functional
2. The starter will NOT turn if the brake pedal switch is not made when the entire starter circuit is connected as per the factory. Running the starter with a jumper cable bypasses the brake safety switch.
3. Do you have a neutral gear indication on the dash/can you get neutral?
4. Jump out the brake safety switch and see if the engine spins/car starts
5. You can also try to remount the starter and try to spin the engine with the jumper cable attached to the starter. BE SURE YOU ARE IN NEUTRAL!
4. If the engine spins you have an electrical problem elsewhere (bad brake pedal safety switch, bad ignition switch).
5. If the engine does not spin then you have a more serious problem.
6. DON"T EVER LEAVE AN ALFA 4C SIT FOR SIX MONTHS AGAIN
Hi, thanks for your thoughts
Yes the car is in Neutral
Yes i have mounted back the starter engine
(Battery is disconnected from the car)
Attached jumper cable to the starter; Engine does not spin!!
So it does seem that parking a 4C for six months is seizing the engine?!?

With all my cars I never had this problem
Also have 2x Coupe Fiat 2.0 20v Turbo and these are parked 11 months with no problems...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He seems certain power is getting to the starter motor (which seems to be doing something when he turns the key), but which gets no power and makes zero noise if the brake pedal switch is not working.
I agree i do hear a noise from the starter motor when turning the key...indeed a noise like i have conformed bypassing and jumping the starter directly...its a high noise working to crank the engine...but it cant

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can only think of confirmation that the engine is seezed by unmounting the side panel and opening all up to access the crankshaft and see if its really blocked by trying to turn it with a big wrench...
Somehow if the starter motor cannot do this
I sort off convinced this is a useless test...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When you open the door initially, do you hear the sound of the fuel pump pressurizing the system?
Yes i hear the fuel pump doing its work when opening the door
This I also tested using OBD diagnostics software (you can test this feature)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Next idea. If I leave my GTV-6 sit for too long the clutch sticks and I have to jack the rear wheels up, start the car, rev the engine a little, put the gear lever in neutral and apply the brakes. It usually breaks everything free and a couple of miles of driving cleans the clutch plates off.

If the 4C's clutch is stuck there is probably some safety switch preventing the starter from spinning or the starter just doesn't have enough h.p. to break the clutch free.

Roll the car outside, turn on the key and see if you can get the car to go into 1st gear (manual mode). If it does try pushing the car forward, it might break the clutch loose. Don't go the wrong way (backwards) and don't let the engine turn the wrong way.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Try turning the key partially. Do not fully turn the key. Turn the key to where only the dash lights up. Let the car sit in this mode for 1 to 2 minutes then turn it off. Repeat this process 3 times. The process primes the fuel pump. If your car has been sitting for a while, there may not be any fuel in the fuel pump

·
Registered
257 Posts
I had the engine of one of my 4Cs sitting for more than two years and we had no problem starting it again. All my 4Cs are unused from Oktober to April. So there is no problem with storing a 4c over a longer period.
Do you see the brake lights lighting up if you push the brake pedal for sure?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi All
Up to now, unmounting the side wheel
Easy to manually rotate the crank case
One worry less...the engine is not seized!

So a locked clutch can also be ruled out!

In this moment I can only doubt the starter motor...
Now jumping the starter motor again to finally test...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just final test by jumping the starter motor;
No cranking of the engine
Just a Squeeeck sound of the starter motor itself, draining the battery directly

will order a new starter motor

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had the engine of one of my 4Cs sitting for more than two years and we had no problem starting it again. All my 4Cs are unused from Oktober to April. So there is no problem with storing a 4c over a longer period.
Do you see the brake lights lighting up if you push the brake pedal for sure?
Same here. I try to be extra cautious by using fuel with no ethanol and add fuel stabilizer.
My neighbor left his Toyota unused for 3 weeks and had trouble starting it. A Toyota of all things, I speculate the fuel went bad. When he finally started it, the exhaust smell was horrendous.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts