Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Where was the car stored? Is it possible water rose to corrode or damage the starter or the connections nearest to it?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Where was the car stored? Is it possible water rose to corrode or damage the starter or the connections nearest to it?
Hi Philster,
The car was stored in a dry garagebox
During winter will not freeze inside

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Seriously, I wonder if some rodents (mice, critters, little animals) have chewed on some wiring. This has become a big problem on modern cars.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks to you all for the support and ideas
Will update this post after my nee starter engine arrives:)

·
Super Moderator
9,037 Posts
Can you put it into a high gear and then try to rock it back and forth? I’d spray some penetrating oil done in through the spark plug holes and let it sit for a couple of hours first.

I’m assuming when you turned the key with the starter motor removed the starter gear sprang out, then retracted?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Can you put it into a high gear and then try to rock it back and forth? I’d spray some penetrating oil done in through the spark plug holes and let it sit for a couple of hours first.

I’m assuming when you turned the key with the starter motor removed the starter gear sprang out, then retracted?
Im now 98% sure its the starter engine which fail under load (cranking the engine)
While manually cranking the crankshaft is easy done using a wrench...

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,041 Posts
Starter may be the issue but make sure you check for ANY rodent damage to wiring. Modern insulation on wires on many cars is soy based. Damaged wiring has become such a problem that several manufactures are facing class action law suits. Check your garage to see if you have any evidence of rodents like droppings or chewed up material or holes in boxes and stored bags.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Starter may be the issue but make sure you check for ANY rodent damage to wiring. Modern insulation on wires on many cars is soy based. Damaged wiring has become such a problem that several manufactures are facing class action law suits. Check your garage to see if you have any evidence of rodents like droppings or chewed up material or holes in boxes and stored bags.
Will do surely👍🏼

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,041 Posts
There is a chain of "logic circuitry" involved in starting the car where it makes sure everything is setup correctly. If not correct the computer tells the car to not start.
The hydraulic shift mechanism could be in a don't start phase because it got confused or their is a bad sensor. I would think it should throw a CEL though which would help you find the cause through reading the OBD II.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
There is a chain of "logic circuitry" involved in starting the car where it makes sure everything is setup correctly. If not correct the computer tells the car to not start.
The hydraulic shift mechanism could be in a don't start phase because it got confused or their is a bad sensor. I would think it should throw a CEL though which would help you find the cause through reading the OBD II.
Certainly when all is mounted,
Before i will connect to the OBD and clear any faults if present

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
When you open the door initially, do you hear the sound of the fuel pump pressurizing the system?
Hi Ted_168,

That sound is not the fuel pump running - it's the pump for the transmission charging the accumulator with pressure.

That's how rumours start buddy.

Cheers,

Alf

Reactions: RKBerta

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,041 Posts
Certainly when all is mounted,
Before i will connect to the OBD and clear any faults if present
If there ARE faults I wouldn't clear them....they will tell you what the problem is or at least help eliminate some possible causes.

·
Registered
gtv6 3.0, Stelvio Ti
153 Posts
I get why cars get stored for winter. I prefer to keep them driving and in NJ, there are always a number of cold winter days when the roads are clear and dry. I’ll be swapping off the summer wheels/tires on both the gtv6 and 4C for all seasons in winter, just like changing the Stelvio from summer to winter tires. I know keeping a full tank is suggested but I keep them lower so I can put new gas with stabilizer in every month. gtv6 also gets a bit of marvel mystery oil in the tank.

·
Registered
16 Posts
@Henkjan depends how you tested starter motor - you can test it just like it works in car or you can bypass starter solenoid and also test it. but if you bypassed solenoid than it could be just faulty solenoid.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hi All,
News ; my new starter motor arrived just now
So mounted the starter motor, jump started this motor... Exactly like the old one!!!
No crank of the engine

Mannualy cranking the engine directly on the crankshaft : Rotating Counter Clockwise no problem!!
Rotating Clockwise its Blocked!!
The rear wheels of the car are free to spin by hand, the gearbox is in N

basically im back to zero

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi All,
News ; my new starter motor arrived just now
So mounted the starter motor, jump started this motor... Exactly like the old one!!!
No crank of the engine

Mannualy cranking the engine directly on the crankshaft : Rotating Counter Clockwise no problem!!
Rotating Clockwise its Blocked!!
The rear wheels of the car are free to spin by hand, the gearbox is in N

basically im back to zero
plug in diagnostic and see what errors are there in engine/body ECUs.
also turning engine against it's direction of rotation isn't good practice and sometimes even can cause belt to jump a tooth

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Hi,
Looking at the Flywheel, i cannot rotate (by hand) clockwise
This is also what the starter motor cannot do

By hand i can rotate the flywheel (on the crankshaft) counter clockwise

21 - 40 of 79 Posts