Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been following what the EPA has been doing?

Seems a little crazy and far reaching.

I have a friend in the USA that has been audited by the EPA twice and they are going after tuners and performance part makers, but essentially they would make it impossible to sell performance parts.

·
Administrator
17,255 Posts
Saw this on facebook and believe it to be clickbait.

If they cannot force people to wear masks and physical distance to save lives, how can they possibly tell you what you can or cannot do with your own vehicle in order to save the polar bears?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm with you on how they will enforce it for the end user but they are going after businesses selling parts and tunes.

They can issue a maximum fine per incident to a business at $390K a crack, that can easily bankrupt a business.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Didn't we have a similar situation many years ago when CanTire et.al. were being told they could not sell/install performance parts, for a period of time, as they were trying to curb street/stunt racing?
At least that is what my Pcar mechanic told me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
not a single American commenting yet!

working in the aftermarket, I can tell you it is real.

would it instantly force an end to all modifications? no However much like many firearms regulations it will begin the end. Without Right to Repair, and protection of these activities the EPA will continue to go after manufacturers and tuners, as any modification to emissions control is now considered illegal, even if the vehicle is never on the road. This is definitely something to worry about.

as a small example I can no longer buy K&N filters through my wholesaler, without becoming an authorized dealer through K&N. They are being forced to control who can sell their product to protect themselves.

·
Registered
784 Posts
This has been around for years, and online petitions come up about every other year. Food for thought:

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,264 Posts
With the current "regime" in charge in the US, I fully expect this type of over reach.....and I can see a big push to outlaw car racing other than with EVs. This isn't only in the US. Several countries including some cities in the US are already passing laws to outlaw the sale of IC powered vehicles in just a few years.
SAD.....

·
Registered
2016 4C Spider + 3 Ferraris + 6MT 997.2 RWB'd
769 Posts
Has anyone been following what the EPA has been doing?

Seems a little crazy and far reaching.

I have a friend in the USA that has been audited by the EPA twice and they are going after tuners and performance part makers, but essentially they would make it impossible to sell performance parts.
Lol it's just the state of media here, ignore it. My all American group makes for A FLEET of race cars both decommissioned and active all over the place and only one "fix it" ticket from the local PD a while back to a front fender exiting straight piped Gen2 Viper. EPA isn't a threat to any vehicular enthusiasm at least in Florida.

What "aftermarket" vendors need to read up on is FAKE parts. Please realize China, the people who make these parts at such a scale and cost to their/our environment, crap all over say, K&N's "legal papers" so they must resolve such control over their distribution so that "K+N" doesn't sell you the same or similar filter at a price that didn't include the research, development, quality, etc that K&N had to invest to get the part to exist in the first place, and on the back of a US-based and formed and invented marketplace. You also can't blame "the evil EPA" (btw, a bunch of average, got-their-start-in-the-car-industry Americans at a day job trying to do their best, not volcano-lurking lizard overlords or a board of evil doing the bidding of the nemesis to James Bond) for random people trying to make a street car something it is not, or for the pressure the department gets from the retrograde circus that Washington DC has been since I've graduated middle school: It's just one of the many semi-failing departments that make up the USA "conservative-when-convenient" idiot megasloth. At least our system works okay compared, and we can drive cars like these without having killed or robbed anyone, and can work towards things without too much interference. The people that kill and rob here are one of two types: those that learn how the prison system will never let you be free again because they killed/stole too small, and those that learn the world and space is theirs because they killed/stole so unimaginably wholesale.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Didn't we have a similar situation many years ago when CanTire et.al. were being told they could not sell/install performance parts, for a period of time, as they were trying to curb street/stunt racing?
At least that is what my Pcar mechanic told me.
Technically we aren't allowed to modify the mechanical emissions since they existed regardless of MY for road cars in Canada, they just don't check. We can however swap the engine out and its exempt.o_O

@OriginalForza apparently its going to be interesting this time. I'm sure if its bad our government will follow suit.

·
Super Moderator
9,933 Posts
Technically we aren't allowed to modify the mechanical emissions since they existed regardless of MY for road cars in Canada, they just don't check. We can however swap the engine out and its exempt.o_O

@OriginalForza apparently its going to be interesting this time. I'm sure if its bad our government will follow suit.
Who’ll be first with that Mazda motor? If ever there was a middle finger to the lot of ‘em it’d be that.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
No race car bans. This is standard procedure in politics (terror campaign to wipe out an industry). Everyone in the traditional automotive segment is nervous about regulations and bans. Fear is, without competition, the number one persuader.

You threaten an industry; it forces their lobbyists into action; they demonstrate the industry is worth >insert how many billions of dollars and how many constituents< at great direct and indirect costs (what should be seen as bribes) , then we move on. The agency gets some token changes, brings in money from regulations, fines.... consumer costs go up.

If you're in a government agency and you're not terrorizing industries to bring out lobbyists and get all the perks that come with it, you won't be in your role very long.

Rubs crystal ball: Conservatives dominate boating. Ergo, the marine pleasure industry will be all over the news soon.

·
Registered
169 Posts
How can they legally ban product sales? EPA can force manufacturer to state that the parts are not for public road use but otherwise than that, what is the legal basis for stopping a company selling a performance part? If someone wants to buy that as an ornament, its nobody's business. And are they going to stop importation of such parts if you buy on eBay?
And you wonder why Trump has the support of 1/2 of America!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
How can they legally ban product sales? EPA can force manufacturer to state that the parts are not for public road use but otherwise than that, what is the legal basis for stopping a company selling a performance part? If someone wants to buy that as an ornament, its nobody's business. And are they going to stop importation of such parts if you buy on eBay?
And you wonder why Trump has the support of 1/2 of America!
I feel you....but the same way some of the best radar detectors are made in Ontario yet you cannot buy one of them here :unsure:

·
Registered
784 Posts
With the current "regime" in charge in the US, I fully expect this type of over reach...
This has been a thing long before the current regime.

Personally, I think there should be some better laws in place. Those diesels rolling coal should be banned.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,264 Posts
This has been a thing long before the current regime.

Personally, I think there should be some better laws in place. Those diesels rolling coal should be banned.
The few that blatantly flaunt common sense and respect for others make it bad for the rest of us. But that has been the case since the beginning of time.
There are laws against those diesels rolling coal...it is a matter of catching them in the act. This is no different than the cars with mega watt amps on their cars and sub woofers that shake the rafters as they drive by. That used to be a huge issue when I lived in California but that resulted in police clamping down and evidently not as much of an issue now as back than. The other one that people are complaining about here are those who have cutouts on their muscle cars and love to drive around at night with the cutouts open and/or street racing. I just saw a new article that the police are clamping down on Mound Road in S/E Michigan about 10 miles North of Detroit due to open exhaust noise and racing complaints at night.

·
Super Moderator
9,933 Posts
Everybody gets a little nervous when the official with the dB meter comes around at the track...but though rumours persist of police crackdowns I haven’t experienced any oppression by dB meter toting police while on my Guzzis or in my 4C. Stopped for ‘licence checks’ on my bike, but not for noise.

Down this way I don’t know about banning race cars but I’ve no problems going after night street racers....do it on the track fellas. But closing race circuits (and airfields) is a constant worry these days. Am I the only one who enjoys the sound of racing engines resonating through the shallow valley that leads from Eastern Creek to my home, or the sound and sight of piston engined aircraft passing overhead bound for Schofields aerodrome (now closed) or Bankstown? (The other day we had the sound of high end sports cars coming from the Creek and tonight there’s the thunder of top-fuel dragsters.) Apart from that it’s just endless, characterless housing estates as far as the eye can see (almost). At least Eastern Creek may be too large and too close to a rubbish/waste tip to be in line for a land grab by developers.... until the waste depot fills. Enjoy what we have while it lasts is what I’m doing and there’s little better way to do it than in a 4C. As I said, there’s been rumours of noise crackdowns down here but I’ve never been subject to such threats in the 4C or on my Guzzis. Frankly, unless it’s an airfield or a racing circuit, or unless you’ve gone catless and mufflerless, you’ve got little to worry about, I think. (Been wrong before and I’ll be wrong again, no doubt.)

...Wouldn’t you know it? I have to go. There’s some kids playing on the grass outside and I’m going to tell off for making too much noise.... 😉 Nah, but some people are like that. Noise to some is music to others and vice versa.

·
Registered
784 Posts
The few that blatantly flaunt common sense and respect for others make it bad for the rest of us. But that has been the case since the beginning of time.
There are laws against those diesels rolling coal...it is a matter of catching them in the act. This is no different than the cars with mega watt amps on their cars and sub woofers that shake the rafters as they drive by. That used to be a huge issue when I lived in California but that resulted in police clamping down and evidently not as much of an issue now as back than. The other one that people are complaining about here are those who have cutouts on their muscle cars and love to drive around at night with the cutouts open and/or street racing. I just saw a new article that the police are clamping down on Mound Road in S/E Michigan about 10 miles North of Detroit due to open exhaust noise and racing complaints at night.
Those are state laws though not federal/country wide. Yes, California has taken a more proactive approach with some various vehicular laws, but those are not everywhere (and even in Cali my understanding is that the laws are not for all vehicles as I understand there are noise level laws that apply to cars but not motorcycles).

I'm all for regulating/aligning laws and enforcement for street cars. I do not believe it makes sense to enforce those on cars which are not titled or driven on public roads. Most racing sanctions have their own requirements (i.e. they will meatball someone if they are driving around making a smoke screen):

1 - 20 of 44 Posts