Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator
17,400 Posts
I'm curious what the oil industry is planning with all this electrification going on.
I suspect that many OPEC nations (the ones who can see beyond the end of their own nose, and that is not being racist LOL) have prepared as the "end of oil" has long been known to be a thing. The Emirates and Saudi Arabia have tried to diversify their economies, to keep the peasants (and lesser nobles) from revolting when that occurs. Places like Venezuela will be royally screwed even more than before.

As far as companies are concerned, you raise a very good question. One would think that much of their infrastructure would be somewhat suited to Hydrogen, so you'd expect them to be in that camp. Perhaps they are just waiting to see what technology comes out on top, so they can jump in? Or raid the balance sheet in favour of income statement for as long as possible, then disappear?

·
Registered
91 Posts
If demand for your main product (oil) dramatically shrinks then your company will likely shrink in size. However, the demand for natural gas will likely remain high for a while, since it is cost competitive with solar so the focus would change to natural gas. Hopefully, Biden and his economically-illiterate advisors will let the market sort out the natural gas vs. solar competition.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,357 Posts
If demand for your main product (oil) dramatically shrinks then your company will likely shrink in size. However, the demand for natural gas will likely remain high for a while, since it is cost competitive with solar so the focus would change to natural gas. Hopefully, Biden and his economically-illiterate advisors will let the market sort out the natural gas vs. solar competition.
I think the scientifically illiterate politicians are the issue. I see that California is trying to outlaw the sale of natural gas appliances to the point they won't allow natural gas into new constructed homes or the sale of gas appliances to existing construction...only electric power. I am retired from the gas and electrric industry where I was an electrical engineer. The cheapest form of energy is natural gas for the home. A gas dryer, stove, and heating are significantly cheaper than their electric equivalents to operate. Solar and wind power only supply a tiny fraction of energy in the US. All the rest and majority of electric generation is supplied by a combination of sources like coal, natural gas, hydro, steam, nuclear, gas from garbage and cow poop, etc.

·
Administrator
17,400 Posts
I think the scientifically illiterate politicians are the issue. I see that California is trying to outlaw the sale of natural gas appliances to the point they won't allow natural gas into new constructed homes or the sale of gas appliances to existing construction...only electric power. I am retired from the gas and electrric industry where I was an electrical engineer. The cheapest form of energy is natural gas for the home. A gas dryer, stove, and heating are significantly cheaper than their electric equivalents to operate. Solar and wind power only supply a tiny fraction of energy in the US. All the rest and majority of electric generation is supplied by a combination of sources like coal, natural gas, hydro, steam, nuclear, gas from garbage and cow poop, etc.
And it would seem to be far less wasteful to use natural gas at the end use (home dryer) for a heating appliance, than to convert it into the same amount of KW in electricity (involving some loss), then transmit it (more loss) and finally convert into heat (more loss again).

41 - 44 of 44 Posts